Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear seats folded down seat belt warnings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my rear seats are folded down, I get an intermittent seat belt warning for the rear middle seat. This happens with nothing in the back area.

Yesterday I had dogs in the back with the seats folded down and there was continuous seat belt warnings the whole time.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

I assume the rear seats have pressure sensors like the front? If they do and don’t have seat back sensors that would be pretty annoying when having anything heavy on top of the folded seats. I assume you have heavy dogs?

I certainly didn’t have this issue in my 3, but I only had maybe 50 pounds on top of the rear seats.

I assume the rear seats have pressure sensors like the front? If they do and don’t have seat back sensors that would be pretty annoying when having anything heavy on top of the folded seats. I assume you have heavy dogs?

I certainly didn’t have this issue in my 3, but I only had maybe 50 pounds on top of the rear seats.

just the weight of the seat folded down triggers it intermittently (every few seconds). The dogs just make the warning stay on continuously.

You can tap the icon on the seat and change it to a car seat if you wanted to not see the red light there. I didn't know you could do that initially when installing my car seats in the back, then I just happened to tap it to see what would happen. Now no more warning.

nice! I had no idea. Thank you.
Car is going in for some delivery items this week and I will add this to the list and will follow up with the resolution of this issue if any.

Tesla service tells me this is a known issue and that it will be addressed in a future firmware update.

On a side note there is a service bulletin for the back of the rear seats. I didn’t have any issues with that area but they ordered new parts proactively and will install them via mobile service in the future once they arrive.

I put in a ticket for this issue before finding this post. Tesla service told me the same thing. "Our technicians have informed us that the alert you are seeing is the vehicle operating as designed at this time. Tesla has informed us that future firmware may improve operation over time but at this time the best option is to simply press the car seat button."

This is such a stupid design thing to "be working as expected" that it baffles me. I love my vehicle, but some of the things that they won't fix or designed into the cars are just baffling.

If this doesn't happen to the majority of Model Y's, then I would think it's a sensor issue. Are these types of sensors pressure adjustable? Can they be set to trigger only with more weight, so at least when I have the seat back down and nothing heavy on top, I don't get a erroneous error message? Seems to me like the car could have been easily designed to detect when a seat is locked back, and therefore sensor should be active, and when it's not locked back and the sensor should be ignored.