Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, quick question about the rear sensors: I am not sure they are working correctly on my car. I turned and drove through a very narrow gate (very slowly) and while the front of the car beeped, the rear left sensor was completely quiet so I thought I was safe. However I heard a noise and saw that the left rear side panel (just above the wheel) was getting scratched :(((
I just took it to a Tesla-approved body shop and they gave me an estimate of over £5,000 to get it replaced. (They said because there is a dent as well, it's better to replace the whole part and since it's the biggest part, it's expensive...).
Anyone had experience with this sort of thing? They advised me to claim from insurance but I am concerned the premiums will become astronomical (i have have many years of 'no claims').
Could this potentially be a warranty issue? (faulty sensor?) Or I just became too reliant in these things.
Thanks in advance.

That's the photo of the damage fro interest

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    448.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Helpful
Reactions: CyberShy
Thanks - yes, I realise now I have to be extremely vigilant when it comes to narrow spaces. This is the metal bolt that scratched it (at my local council). The gate is already extremely narrow and someone left the bolt pointing outwards. I thought I was safe to pass.

Is Tesla's paint especially fragile? Something similar happened to a friend of mine in a supermarket and he has a much larger dent than me yet none of the paint came off.

It will be two and half weeks waiting for the part and then 2 weeks in repair shop. In the meantime, I will be driving with this horrible thing on the side :( not good.

Attachments

• IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    776 KB · Views: 100
The paint can be a little fragile when new, can’t say once it gets time to fully cure. No paint should be expected stand up to a steel rod applied with sufficient force to dent the body panel. There are some paint protection films that offer amazing protection but even those have limits.

You might try a different body shop, it should be possible to repair a slight dent with body putty then match the paint so you get a repair that cannot be seen. If the dent included the sensors or the mounting area for the sensors, then it might make sense to replace the body panel. I’d go to a good body shop and see what they say.

If you make an insurance claim, I believe you are likely to get a positive Carfax report of a “collision”. I don’t know that will happen but if it does, that $5000 may be much less than the loss of value of the car due to that report. Carfax sometimes isn’t too choosy about the accuracy of their reports. They also aren’t fully forthcoming about the source of their information. Police reports are one source but they claim other sources without specifying exactly what those sources are. If you go to a body shop you might inquire whether their repair will be reported to Carfax.

Reactions: inmyprime
Did you have protected no-claim by any chance?
Looking at that damage from just the pic I'd have thought a bright bodyshop could find a way of pulling the dent out then skimming and painting. It's an aluminium panel so a bit harder to tack stays on there to lever the dent?

Thanks - I am not sure we have "Carfax" (or UK equivalent) reports. If we do, perhaps someone could clarify? It looks like I may pay the excess (£1,100) and the insurance would pay the rest. But my premiums will go up by few hundred £ next year plus I might lose 2 years of 'no claims' (out of my 5 years no claims history), if the insurance determines it was my fault (which presumably it was).

Regarding an alternative body shop: I understood that it is better to go to a Tesla-approved body shop which is where i got the advice to replace the panel and the cost estimate. I would prefer to fix it properly but might inquire tomorrow in another place, just to get an opinion. (No sensors were damaged).
Thanks again.

The paint can be a little fragile when new, can’t say once it gets time to fully cure. No paint should be expected stand up to a steel rod applied with sufficient force to dent the body panel. There are some paint protection films that offer amazing protection but even those have limits.

You might try a different body shop, it should be possible to repair a slight dent with body putty then match the paint so you get a repair that cannot be seen. If the dent included the sensors or the mounting area for the sensors, then it might make sense to replace the body panel. I’d go to a good body shop and see what they say.

If you make an insurance claim, I believe you are likely to get a positive Carfax report of a “collision”. I don’t know that will happen but if it does, that $5000 may be much less than the loss of value of the car due to that report. Carfax sometimes isn’t too choosy about the accuracy of their reports. They also aren’t fully forthcoming about the source of their information. Police reports are one source but they claim other sources without specifying exactly what those sources are. If you go to a body shop you might inquire whether their repair will be reported to Carfax.

Unfortunately not protected, no :(
I will try an alternative body shop, just to get another opinion.

Did you have protected no-claim by any chance?
Looking at that damage from just the pic I'd have thought a bright bodyshop could find a way of pulling the dent out then skimming and painting. It's an aluminium panel so a bit harder to tack stays on there to lever the dent?

I would prefer to fix it properly but might inquire tomorrow in another place, just to get an opinion. (No sensors were damaged).
Thanks again.

There’s nothing “improper” about fixing a deep scratch with careful preparation, half an ounce of body filler, and careful paint matching. Some of these guys are truly masters. To replace a whole body panel for a deep scratch seems just absurd. Perhaps I’m wrong. Others feel free to jump in here.

The Tesla shop will have to paint that replacement panel anyway so you are still depending on the skill of the painter. With the simple scratch repair, they’ll feather the repair into the existing painted panel so only the small repaired area will get the new paint.

So if you go with the scratch repair, you’d have about 4000 pounds sterling left over. You could put it toward a full body wrap, that’ll keep your paint amazing for the rest of the time you own the car. Or you could take a couple of kids to Disney World. You’ll all remember that trip long after the trauma of this scratch has faded.

You do want an absolutely top notch body shop. Find out where the locals get their Ferraris fixed.

Later if you decide the guy on Tesla forum was totally wrong and the body repair wasn’t the right way to go, you can always take it to Tesla repair and have that body panel replaced. You can’t do it the other way around, though.

Don’t underestimate those topnotch body repair people, they are a skillful lot. There are some bad ones too, you absolutely want the good ones.

Ha, thanks! I appreciate it. I was under the impression that it would not be possible to fix the scratch and dent without leaving some visible marks. In terms of cost, it's about the same: pay £1,000+ privately or £1,100 excess through the insurance to replace the panel. (Plus bit more in premiums later). I am not sure which carries more risk but I assume the guys at Tesla body shops know how to match a panel. Anyway, I am taking it to another place, just to get an opinion...

Well, looks like I will be buying you guys a beer in Disney Land ;)
Took it to another shop (with good reviews) and the guy was confident everything can be fixed for £250+VAT. When I told him Tesla shop wanted to replace the whole panel, he held his head in disbelief and said it was completely unnecessary and that he does this kind of thing every day. He assured me I won't see a difference and it will only take a few days. I don't understand the huge discrepancy in pricing/advice but anyway. I will believe it when I see it....

A few separate minor scuffs/scratches on the bumper panel can be removed with T cut apparently.

What is a 'body wrap'? And what products do you guys use on your car's exterior to protect it? It obviously won't protect about this kind of damage but my wife drives the car on some roads with twigs and bushes on the sides and the car gets very minor scuffs/scratches on one side sometimes. Would car wax or something similar protect it?

Thanks again for the advice!

There’s nothing “improper” about fixing a deep scratch with careful preparation, half an ounce of body filler, and careful paint matching. Some of these guys are truly masters. To replace a whole body panel for a deep scratch seems just absurd. Perhaps I’m wrong. Others feel free to jump in here.

The Tesla shop will have to paint that replacement panel anyway so you are still depending on the skill of the painter. With the simple scratch repair, they’ll feather the repair into the existing painted panel so only the small repaired area will get the new paint.

So if you go with the scratch repair, you’d have about 4000 pounds sterling left over. You could put it toward a full body wrap, that’ll keep your paint amazing for the rest of the time you own the car. Or you could take a couple of kids to Disney World. You’ll all remember that trip long after the trauma of this scratch has faded.

You do want an absolutely top notch body shop. Find out where the locals get their Ferraris fixed.

Later if you decide the guy on Tesla forum was totally wrong and the body repair wasn’t the right way to go, you can always take it to Tesla repair and have that body panel replaced. You can’t do it the other way around, though.

Don’t underestimate those topnotch body repair people, they are a skillful lot. There are some bad ones too, you absolutely want the good ones.

Last edited:
It obviously won't protect about this kind of damage but my wife drives the car on some roads with twigs and bushes on the sides and the car gets very minor scuffs/scratches on one side sometimes. Would car wax or something similar protect it?

Te best protection for your car would be to drive around a rough part of town and find one of those cars with a DIY paper sticker in the window saying 'Good Runner £350' - and buy it for your wife:cool:
Sadly I didn't get away with that and mine got a new quashai...

Well, looks like I will be buying you guys a beer in Disney Land ;)
Took it to another shop (with good reviews) and the guy was confident everything can be fixed for £250+VAT. When I told him Tesla shop wanted to replace the whole panel, he held his head in disbelief and said it was completely unnecessary and that he does this kind of thing every day. He assured me I won't see a difference and it will only take a few days. I don't understand the huge discrepancy in pricing/advice but anyway. I will believe it when I see it....

A few separate minor scuffs/scratches on the bumper panel can be removed with T cut apparently.

What is a 'body wrap'? And what products do you guys use on your car's exterior to protect it? It obviously won't protect about this kind of damage but my wife drives the car on some roads with twigs and bushes on the sides and the car gets very minor scuffs/scratches on one side sometimes. Would car wax or something similar protect it?

Xpel is what I had put on my car, not a full wrap but hood (bonnet) and leading surfaces. That includes the painted leading edge of the outside mirrors, front bumper, and front fenders. There are some other areas as well, there are pieces on the headlights to protect the clear plastic. It wasn’t nearly as expensive as a full car wrap. The film is clear, shiny, and it is “self healing”, which means tiny scratches disappear when the car is parked in the warm sun. You don’t see the wrap. You can feel an edge where the film edge ends, it isn’t obvious, you have to really look. You treat the film the same as the paint, you wash it, wax it. You don’t need to be as careful with it as with bare paint so scrubbing bugs off the front bumper with a wet sponge works well without leaving marks. I wouldn’t do that with bare paint.

I got a stone chip on the bumper driving home after picking up the new Tesla. The next week I had the film applied. Now 2 years later no more chips. There are pictures on line of fairly amazing protection of paint with fairly heavy scrapes.

Anyway, for me the film is well worth it for leading edge protection.

About that body shop, ask around, make sure they are the best available. Also make sure that body man knows the panel is aluminum. I don’t think it makes a difference but it’s good to make sure. Good luck with this.

Thanks - I have been reading up on it. Few questions:

1. Does the wrapping in any way impact the reflective surface? (make it less reflective) or is it pretty much indistinguishable from non-coated?
Part wrapping makes sense if you are not changing colour of it.

2. Is maintenance for the wrapped parts same as the other parts? (Do you have to wax it etc?)

3. Do you need to take it off again when you sell it? Is it expensive?

Cheers.

Xpel is what I had put on my car, not a full wrap but hood (bonnet) and leading surfaces. That includes the painted leading edge of the outside mirrors, front bumper, and front fenders. There are some other areas as well, there are pieces on the headlights to protect the clear plastic. It wasn’t nearly as expensive as a full car wrap. The film is clear, shiny, and it is “self healing”, which means tiny scratches disappear when the car is parked in the warm sun. You don’t see the wrap. You can feel an edge where the film edge ends, it isn’t obvious, you have to really look. You treat the film the same as the paint, you wash it, wax it. You don’t need to be as careful with it as with bare paint so scrubbing bugs off the front bumper with a wet sponge works well without leaving marks. I wouldn’t do that with bare paint.

I got a stone chip on the bumper driving home after picking up the new Tesla. The next week I had the film applied. Now 2 years later no more chips. There are pictures on line of fairly amazing protection of paint with fairly heavy scrapes.

Anyway, for me the film is well worth it for leading edge protection.

About that body shop, ask around, make sure they are the best available. Also make sure that body man knows the panel is aluminum. I don’t think it makes a difference but it’s good to make sure. Good luck with this.