Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rear side bolster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does the rear side bolster(the cushion between the rear seats and the side panel next to the door) stay in place? I have been searching for a rattle sound from my rear passenger side and I was going to try the foam block method between the seat latch and noticed that the side bolster is loose. I can pull from the bottom and it seems to come off without being clipped in. Is this how it is supposed to be?

Refresh S right?

I just took it apart again in my refresh S. The bottom is just a straight piece that goes into a hole, no clip. The top part is a clip. It's hard to explain, so I'll explain how it is installed..

The clip slides sideways into the bolster, then it's sticking out and you push the bolster into the car. To remove it, you should be able to pull some domination of straight out and inwards (toward the center of the car). Everytime I've pulled it apart, the clips comes out with the bolster.

I'm also tracking down the same rattle and it's hard, basically everything is loose so it's hard to tell. I just put some piece of tape on basically every part that touches, then will test again tomorrow.

People seemed to report that just putting tape or something on the clip the seat clips onto fixed it for them. Have you tried that? I think it partially fixed my noises, but I kinda think many things are rattling at the same time.

If you can't get it, let me know and I can go take it apart again and I'll take pictures this time. Might be worth a quick YouTube search too

Refresh S right?

I just took it apart again in my refresh S. The bottom is just a straight piece that goes into a hole, no clip. The top part is a clip. It's hard to explain, so I'll explain how it is installed..

The clip slides sideways into the bolster, then it's sticking out and you push the bolster into the car. To remove it, you should be able to pull some domination of straight out and inwards (toward the center of the car). Everytime I've pulled it apart, the clips comes out with the bolster.

I'm also tracking down the same rattle and it's hard, basically everything is loose so it's hard to tell. I just put some piece of tape on basically every part that touches, then will test again tomorrow.

People seemed to report that just putting tape or something on the clip the seat clips onto fixed it for them. Have you tried that? I think it partially fixed my noises, but I kinda think many things are rattling at the same time.

If you can't get it, let me know and I can go take it apart again and I'll take pictures this time. Might be worth a quick YouTube search too
Yes, it's a refresh. It just seems loose compared to the other side. It feels like it's clipped on the top and not attached to anything on the bottom.

I will try the foam block method in the seat latch today. I thought that would solve the problem, but when I went to try it, I noticed the side bolster and thought that might be the issue because of how loose it was.

Hopefully, you have it fixed now. For others, to identify if the seat latch is the rattle, fold the seats down. If the rattle goes away, it's the latch. I used a 1.5" square block of hard-to-squish foam inserted into the U bolt. It's just thick enough to push the seat forward so the latch is tight.

I guess the carpet does this job when you first get the car, but the carpet over time (6+ months) deforms just enough to allow the latch to rattle.

Refresh S right?

Do you mind posting pics of the holster removed? I get it halfway off and I worry that I might snap the clip and won’t be able to put it back on. Thanks! I tried the foam block in the latch and it helped a little bit the sound is still coming from that bolster area.

If the foam block didn't fully work (assuming the latch is the issue), it just means it is not thick enough (i.e. space between the carpet and the back of the seat). Add a little more thickness, and I expect it will be fixed.