Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rattle at rear passenger side Bolster area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
So finally managed to get to what looks like the final rattle in the car (it has been plagued with these since ~10k miles).. it is 2022 MIC LR

I have almost identified this rattle after installing self-adhesive felt on all the rear seat touching surfaces and noticed that the annoying sound persists anyway, some where far side... but i really struggle identify where it is but looks like it is coming from the slight movement of the bolster on the rear passenger side (Note this this LHD car, so for the normal world this would be rear side behind the driver)

Tried HZ generators - cannot recreate - it is heard ONLY when driven on uneven surfaces and car shakes a bit.

Any suggestion how to sort it out? I am losing all my nerves on this one...

P.s. i managed to identify this culprit while driving around with the bloody booster removed
PXL_20230418_183554505.jpg

I actually have a doubt that all clips fit in securely. I almost suspect that like 1 clip is not reaching the clip fixing hole enough and is like 99% inserted, so it does not really clip...

I actually have a doubt that all clips fit in securely. I almost suspect that like 1 clip is not reaching the clip fixing hole enough and is like 99% inserted, so it does not really clip...
Is it just two clips that hold it in place? Maybe some felt around where the push connectors go? I found this removal/reinstall video (5:51 timestamp) but not sure if it will help at all.

I’m pretty sure you and I have the same exact issue, though mine is on the right side. It has also been driving me nuts. Taking the booster off definitely eliminates the sound so it’s clearly something rubbing against it. The problem is that it’s nigh impossible to tape anything to the faux leather and then tuck it behind. The build quality of this car is atrocious.

Bump this thread.

I had a rattle on the rear passenger seat aswell...

After scratching my head for weeks and trying to figure out, my wife realised the head rest was the culprit.
It was up (So we could have a mirror facing the car seat)

My wife pushed the headrest down to its seated firmly on the seat and the rattle stopped.

I cant describe what the "rattle" was, it sounds more like metal to metal, rather than plastic, but wanted to post this for anyone else who searches the forum.

So finally managed to get to what looks like the final rattle in the car (it has been plagued with these since ~10k miles).. it is 2022 MIC LR

I have almost identified this rattle after installing self-adhesive felt on all the rear seat touching surfaces and noticed that the annoying sound persists anyway, some where far side... but i really struggle identify where it is but looks like it is coming from the slight movement of the bolster on the rear passenger side (Note this this LHD car, so for the normal world this would be rear side behind the driver)

Tried HZ generators - cannot recreate - it is heard ONLY when driven on uneven surfaces and car shakes a bit.

Any suggestion how to sort it out? I am losing all my nerves on this one...
Thanks for your post. I seem to have had the same issue. Yesterday I pulled the plastic cover slightly open and shoved a crumpled Costco 30 gallon trash bag into the cavity. Then reattached. So far I think I may have won. Possibly I’ll need to go back and replace the bag with some strips of foam. Fingers crossed.

P.s. i managed to identify this culprit while driving around with the bloody booster removedView attachment 929580
Did you manage to resolve it yessuz? I'm pretty sure I have the same issue but on the opposite side (offside, right hand drive car).

I have to admit that I'm quite surprised that Tesla ownership has come down to earth with a bump in a very short period of time. The car is generally very nice, everything works and it drives very well but with paintwork issues and interior build coming up far far short of what it should at this price point.

Did you manage to resolve it yessuz? I'm pretty sure I have the same issue but on the opposite side (offside, right hand drive car).

I have to admit that I'm quite surprised that Tesla ownership has come down to earth with a bump in a very short period of time. The car is generally very nice, everything works and it drives very well but with paintwork issues and interior build coming up far far short of what it should at this price point.
i manage to sort it (by booking service as warranty) but then it crawls back again.

At this point I am waiting when some internal panel will pop off ...

But yeah, sorted somewhat...

Reactions: Greytop
Sorry to hear it's not fully sorted.
Do you know what the service centre did to try and stop it?

I know what you mean - 'waiting for an internal panel or trim to pop off' :)
well they sorted it at the time (earlier this year) but now I can hear that some sort of stuff comes through again, half a year later...

it was Notts and ranger from Birmingham. but I just take it that the combination of uPVC "leather" and wrong engineering decisions cause this and most likely you have to dismantle whole interior and re-assemble everything in order to sort it and I can't be arsed (yet)

Reactions: Greytop
Thanks for your post. I seem to have had the same issue. Yesterday I pulled the plastic cover slightly open and shoved a crumpled Costco 30 gallon trash bag into the cavity. Then reattached. So far I think I may have won. Possibly I’ll need to go back and replace the bag with some strips of foam. Fingers crossed.
My rattle continued to get worse. Drove two hours to the SC where they quickly identified the rattle as the heat shield for the main battery that was replaced in a June. A quick wrench to tighten and I was gone in 15 minutes. So, if you have a rattle of this sort, don’t forget to examine the heat shield. Glad it was fixed, but disappointed I had to return for a mechanics error.

My rattle continued to get worse. Drove two hours to the SC where they quickly identified the rattle as the heat shield for the main battery that was replaced in a June. A quick wrench to tighten and I was gone in 15 minutes. So, if you have a rattle of this sort, don’t forget to examine the heat shield. Glad it was fixed, but disappointed I had to return for a mechanics error.
do you have pics?