Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear trunk corrosion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cleaned the car today in readiness for a visit from Tesla Service to install an o-ring to the trunk power strut.

Noticed what looks like corrosion on the underside of the trunk lid, and pointed it out to Tesla Service. He concurred and said it will need to go to the body shop.

Disappointing on a 19 month old car that is garaged.

Attachments

• IMG_3048.jpeg
    IMG_3048.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 128
Had it on my old Model X. Corrosion was underneath the rear wing. Bubbles under the black paint but not perforated so Tesla didn’t want to know unless I paid. Don’t think I’ll be buying any more American built cars for the foreseeable.

I've had the same problem and mine is an early September 23 car. Not impressed as you can imagine.

The local service centre removed the boot lid and had the underside stripped back and resprayed.

Images below show the underside of the boot lid prior to the warranty work.

Attachments

• Tesla boot lid seam_1.jpg
    Tesla boot lid seam_1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • Tesla boot lid seam_2.jpg
    Tesla boot lid seam_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • Tesla boot lid seam_3.jpg
    Tesla boot lid seam_3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • Tesla boot lid seam_4.jpg
    Tesla boot lid seam_4.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Informative
Reactions: milesr3
Can Aluminium Rust?

Aluminium doesn't rust. But, it's essential also to note that aluminium in its pure form, is a highly reactive metal. Technically, pure aluminium dissolves when exposed to water but, it's reactive nature could also be its greatest asset.

When exposed to air, water or soil, aluminium reacts with oxygen to form a thin coat of aluminium oxide that chemically bonds to the surface of the metal. The coat is characterised by a powdery white or dull grey finish.

The coat of aluminium oxide formed hardens on to the surface and unlike rust, it doesn't flake. It keeps the metal free from corrosion unless the layer of aluminium oxide is removed.

Having said that the boot lid of a model 3 is made from steel!

Reactions: Adopado
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Looks like you caught it sooner than I did but good to hear that it was resolved.
No problem. Fingers crossed the warranty respray work will stand the test of time.
I hope you get your's sorted out swiftly👍

Incidentally, while mine was in for the warranty work there was another guy with a midnight silver model 3 18 months old having exactly the same work done on his. I think this bubbling paintwork/corrosion on the underside of the boot lid must be a relatively common issue.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: milesr3
Just a quick heads up.
My warranty repair paintwork on the underside of the boot lid has started bubbling, I noticed the beginnings two or three weeks ago which was approximately five weeks after the warranty work had taken place. Current mind state - 'fuming'!!
Another service request submitted.

Attachments

• Boot seam 11.11.2023_1.jpg
    Boot seam 11.11.2023_1.jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Boot seam 11.11.2023_2.jpg
    Boot seam 11.11.2023_2.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Boot seam 11.11.2023_3.jpg
    Boot seam 11.11.2023_3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Both times it looks like poor prep and a paint reaction rather than rust forming underneath. Either way it obviously needs to be done again. I keep forgetting to check mine, will do tomorrow.

Anyone else with this issue that doesn't have blue paint?

Mine is now booked into Norwich on the 22nd. I assume it’s going out to a local body shop.

The corrosion is quite extensive with some loose paint, so a quick blow over won’t do.

Attachments

• IMG_3050.jpeg
    IMG_3050.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: Greytop
Just a quick heads up.
My warranty repair paintwork on the underside of the boot lid has started bubbling, I noticed the beginnings two or three weeks ago which was approximately five weeks after the warranty work had taken place. Current mind state - 'fuming'!!
Another service request submitted.
That is a seam right? In which case would say the source of the corrosion is moisture between the panels on the seam coming from the inside of the boot. That makes it essentially un fixable from the outside.