TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear USBs

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by TezzyMod3, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TezzyMod3

TezzyMod3 Member

So I’m getting a bit annoyed that the Tesla SR+ doesn’t have footwell lights. It’s there so I don’t see why it’s not enabled on a £40,000 cutting edge tech car. To distinguish between the models, they should’ve taken out other features in exchange.

Anyways, I’m gonna do something about it. I was thinking of using the rear usbs to power some LEDs which I will install under the foot wells — maybe even fancy colour changing ones in case I’m feeling a bit tacky.

only question is.... do the usbs come on with unlock and go off with lock? I could test this myself but I don’t have anything usb powered that I can check with. If nobody knows then I’ll order a usb light off amazon or something and try it out.

In return for your help, I’ll post a tutorial on how to do it if I can get it done successfully

• Like x 1
  2. Adopado

Adopado Active Member

There's power to the glove box light ... could you splice into that?

3. Generator

Generator Member

I find that the rear USB’s are live anytime the car is ‘awake’. So when I first park it up they live live for a good while, before the car goes into sleep mode.

I found this out by experimenting with a spare nest cam from my house. It’s live and transmits pictures of my driveway over WiFi for a while when I return home, but goes off after 40 minutes or so. With sentry mode on, it stays on all night.

4. DaftPunkPhunk

DaftPunkPhunk Member

I've just ordered a Performance with the black interior (not a fan of the white with kids), it won't come with any rear USB's will it?

5. Generator

Generator Member

Yes, it will have two, but they’re power only, no data or ability to connect to the entertainment system

6. DaftPunkPhunk

DaftPunkPhunk Member

Oh that's perfect still.

7. zayn

zayn Member

could add a couple of these in rear

£1.20 16%OFF | Car Styling USB Atmosphere LED Lamp Light for Tesla Roadster Model 3 Model S Model X Car-styling Hot New car Accessories

8. TezzyMod3

TezzyMod3 Member

Hmmmm... I’ll do some research. I don’t want to cut into anything. Prefer USB route.

there are things like in line motion sensors. could be put by driver side door.

9. TezzyMod3

TezzyMod3 Member

do you happen to know if it’s the same for the 12v cigarette lighter? I plugged a light into it but it seems to stay on. Not sure for how long though

10. TezzyMod3

TezzyMod3 Member

So put some lights in that run off the 12v auxiliary. Usually turns off within a few minutes. With no obvious pattern. Since plugging in though, remains permanently on it seems.
    Anyone figured out how the car decides to switch off the auxiliary power yet? Posting pictures soon

11. TezzyMod3

TezzyMod3 Member

12. TezzyMod3

TezzyMod3 Member

13. Generator

Generator Member

Not a clue, sorry...

14. HKP_Tom

HKP_Tom Member

15. Mr H

Mr H Member

The 12v socket and the usb's will stay powered up as long as the car is 'awake'. A wake state can be caused by many things such as checking the app, etc. It's in the manual

16. aerowave

aerowave Member

That centre console surround lighting looks great - could you share which product you used? Thanks!

17. TezzyMod3

TezzyMod3 Member