Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C keep charging on locked car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the USB-C ports in the central consoloe keep charging even if the screen / lights are off or car is locked? I installed ambient lights in the dash and doors but they were powered through the cigarette lighter. Instead, I bought a cable to power them through the USB-C port, and it works great, the problem is that I see them remain on after the car has been locked or screen/lights turn off. They didn't do that when using the lighter. After a while they apparently turn off.

Will this method drain the battery and / or damage the car?

Thanks

I think my 2022 model Y LR and 2023 model 3 RWD turn off the power to the console USB ports when they go to sleep. With nothing going on, this seems to be about 20 minutes after I leave the car. When I charge the car from a Wall Connector that port is alive throughout the charge, but again turns off when the car goes to sleep later.

Yes, the power you are putting into your add-on lights comes from the battery, which will thus be (slightly) lower than it would otherwise be.

Your power drain will be a bit more if you "wake up" the car by using the app on your phone. It will be considerably more if something like Sentry mode keeps the car awake, but Sentry mode itself burns far more than your light is probably taking from the USB port.

What is the power consumption of the light, by the way?

What is the power consumption of the light, by the way?
It's only 5W. While I was installing the lights they were connected through USB-C, everything else went off but they remained on, after a while I would hear like a bang from the bottom of the car (battery?) and they went off. I don't know that might damage the car in the long run.

The reason I switched to USB-C was to be able to hide all cables unther the console, I made a hole at the bottom of the console to feet the USB-C cable.

after a while I would hear like a bang from the bottom of the car (battery?) and they went off.
That's the sound of the contactors opening. The contactors are the large switches that connect and disconnect the high voltage battery from the car as required.
Tesla has added a Normal Operating Sounds section to their online manual to help mitigate concerns.
Have a listen to the "Clicking, Clunking, or Thumping Sound From Floor of Vehicle" sound file.

That's the sound of the contactors opening. The contactors are the large switches that connect and disconnect the high voltage battery from the car as required.
Tesla has added a Normal Operating Sounds section to their online manual to help mitigate concerns.
Have a listen to the "Clicking, Clunking, or Thumping Sound From Floor of Vehicle" sound file.
Thank you, this is helpful. Should I keep the light connected through USB-C or go back to lighter? When the car is preconditioning these lights are one, I suppose whnever the car is awake.