Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear window with defroster on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not very professional on their part. Did you try to speak with their manager at the spot?

I still find it strange not many people have talked about this issue, because with rain and defrost on, the distortion can be a safety issue.

I tried rear defrost the other day but didn’t see any distortion. Based on this thread I wonder now whether mine is too weak... :confused:

That's not very professional on their part. Did you try to speak with their manager at the spot?

I still find it strange not many people have talked about this issue, because with rain and defrost on, the distortion can be a safety issue.
I as too pissed off to think rationally and ask for the manager at the time. However, Anthony in the SC was very professional and claimed he spoke with the manager who confirmed that his own car, the showroom car and one other car waiting for delivery all do this. A fix needs to be found and i still think it can be done via a software update that reduces the temperature at which they operate.

I as too pissed off to think rationally and ask for the manager at the time. However, Anthony in the SC was very professional and claimed he spoke with the manager who confirmed that his own car, the showroom car and one other car waiting for delivery all do this. A fix needs to be found and i still think it can be done via a software update that reduces the temperature at which they operate.
Did anything ever come of this? I too have the heat distortion.

I first noticed this on a road trip last fall. I was cruising along the highway and noticed that the rear view looked funny... wavy parallel to the heater wires. It hadn't looked like that before so I looked down at the screen and saw that somehow I had activated the rear defroster. Turned it off and everything went back to normal after a couple of minutes. Hadn't thought about it again until seeing this thread. I'd say it's "normal" for the 3...

nope, nothing. More people need to complain to Tesla about it to get their attention as right now most people are apathetic about the issue.
Just a guess on my part, but maybe posting this issue on a more general Model 3 section of the forums rather than in the Canada-specified section would enlighten and elicit more participation and responses from Model 3 owners throughout North America?

Reactions: mociaf9
I first noticed this on a road trip last fall. I was cruising along the highway and noticed that the rear view looked funny... wavy parallel to the heater wires. It hadn't looked like that before so I looked down at the screen and saw that somehow I had activated the rear defroster. Turned it off and everything went back to normal after a couple of minutes. Hadn't thought about it again until seeing this thread. I'd say it's "normal" for the 3...
the thing is that this is unique to the 3 and is not normal on any other vehicle i've ever owned therefore it is not something that should be accepted. If the wheels were wobbly on the 3 you can't simply say that it's "normal for the 3".

I'm wondering if this issue has possibly improved over time, or perhaps there is a temperature window where it appears?

...I did see this on my 3 when I first got it and temps were around 5-10C. Now that it's consistently below 0C and even much colder I see barely any distortion, maybe even none at all.

So, either:

1. Over time the laminate layers in the glass further cure and no longer exhibit the thermal shift in optical properties around the heating elements?

2. It's temp dependent, and if so those in BC could comment if it still happens, even after months of ownership.

3. Maybe it has been improved via a software update? Ie, less aggressive heating? I'm on 2018.50.6

I'm wondering if this issue has possibly improved over time, or perhaps there is a temperature window where it appears?

...I did see this on my 3 when I first got it and temps were around 5-10C. Now that it's consistently below 0C and even much colder I see barely any distortion, maybe even none at all.

So, either:

1. Over time the laminate layers in the glass further cure and no longer exhibit the thermal shift in optical properties around the heating elements?

2. It's temp dependent, and if so those in BC could comment if it still happens, even after months of ownership.

3. Maybe it has been improved via a software update? Ie, less aggressive heating? I'm on 2018.50.6
I first noticed this in the summertime so I don't think external temperature has anything to do with it showing up or not. I am now running it in sub zero temperatures and it is still showing up.

Does anyone tried to touch the line when deforester is on? Is it super hot?

I guess it must be very hot to melt the snow rapidly.

and actually, in a perfect weather day, why would you wanna turn it on?
you wouldn't but when it rains you sometimes need to turn on the defroster or when it's just cold outside you may need to use. Plenty of times in the year where you need it.