Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rearview and side mirrors dimming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

C141medic

Apr 9, 2016
New Jersey
I’ve noticed that my rearview mirror isn’t dimming at night as much as my side view mirrors. Lights from other vehicles behind me are quite bright when I look through my rearview mirror. Has anyone experienced this? Short of a service call is there any way to determine if my rearview or even side mirrors are functioning correctly?

I’ve noticed that my rearview mirror isn’t dimming at night as much as my side view mirrors. Lights from other vehicles behind me are quite bright when I look through my rearview mirror. Has anyone experienced this? Short of a service call is there any way to determine if my rearview or even side mirrors are functioning correctly?
Do you have tint? This can reduce the effect of your rear view mirror auto dimming.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have to get it looked at then. I’ve read about rear view mirrors getting replaced for this issue on the other Tesla forum. The manual also indicates that the mirror darkness at night is “medium.” For me, I don’t think medium is high enough (if it’s working at all). Wish Tesla would introduce user controllable dimmer settings through the UI on the screen.

I agree with you 100% and this has been one of my few gripes since buying the car. From day 1 I noticed the rear view mirror did not tint enough at night for my liking. Never took it to service because it’s more of an annoyance than anything else, plus once I got the rear glass tinted the problem became much less noticeable. Would love it if Tesla could allow us to increase the amount of the dimming effect to suit our own tastes.

Reactions: C141medic
From day 1 I noticed the rear view mirror did not tint enough at night for my liking. <snip> Would love it if Tesla could allow us to increase the amount of the dimming effect to suit our own tastes.
And my complaint about the autodimming mirrors is that they dim at all. I'd rather NOT have them dim, or like you suggest, allow the user to control the amount of dimming to their preference. Going a little bit further, I'd like to have individual control over all three mirrors. My old BMW only had autodim on the inside rear view mirror. The outside mirrors did not and that's what I prefer at night so that I can see as much as possible.