Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasonable car insurance (USA) ? I'm getting crazy quotes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got no accidents or violations in a decade but am seeing insane prices getting quotes for Roadster insurance. Farmers is $3,500 / yr. Same with Allstate. A bunch of companies don't even list the Roadster or Tesla online.

Who are you using that provides reasonably priced insurance?

I have Erie insurance and my Roadster is about $633 a year or within $100 of our Volt.

Note I initially put the total auto insurance bill. So the Roadster is not bad. I did have Geico earlier but they do not cover homes so when we consolidated insurance it made sense to pay a little more for the Roadster and save in the other areas.

Last edited:
I was with Geico until I got my Model S - they were double the price of AmFam for that car so we switched. Now with the Roadster I'm again having trouble getting a decent rate. Geico is one of the companies that doesn't list Tesla on their website.. State Farm isn't bad, it was $1,500 for me (I keep 300/500 liability, that might be the reason for our different rates, tvuolo) AmFam is having to go through hoops to even get me a quote, waiting on underwriting to get back to my agent right now. I did find a cheaper rate at a Collector Car insurance company, but they're more about agreed value coverage than day to day policies I'm used it.

They did have to get some kind of permission to quote me one of my Teslas but did and it was cheaper than Allstate.

My current cost is $2800/yr for 4 cars: Roadster Sport, Model S P85, BMW i3, and Porsche Cayman R. can't break it down because they lump the liability.

Still waiting on AmFam to call me back so I got a policy with Liberty Mutual for $1400/yr that I'll cancel if and when AmFam comes with a competitive quote. It used to be you just had to show the DMV proof of current insurance on ANY car to get a temporary tag (and insurance on the actual car to get your real plates) but now my county has decided you need to show insurance on the actual VIN you're getting the temp tag for. So I'm in a mad rush.

Still waiting on AmFam to call me back so I got a policy with Liberty Mutual for $1400/yr that I'll cancel if and when AmFam comes with a competitive quote. It used to be you just had to show the DMV proof of current insurance on ANY car to get a temporary tag (and insurance on the actual car to get your real plates) but now my county has decided you need to show insurance on the actual VIN you're getting the temp tag for. So I'm in a mad rush.

Used to be with Geico for long time and then I switched because I wanted car replacement coverage. I am with Liberty Mutual now $1100 per year (which is a Geico affiliate)

Rates for the Roadster are probably high for the same reason that rates for the Lotus Elise/Exige that it's based on are high (aside from being a sports car): the bonded aluminum chassis and carbon fiber bodywork. Even relatively minor collisions can result in exceptionally high repair costs and the car is usually a total loss if anything happens to the bonded aluminum chassis.

One thing that is interesting about Liberty Mutual (other than the low price), is that you can pay like $50 a year for new car replacement with a car that is 1 year newer than your existing car. That's not too meaningful for 2.5 Roadsters, but it could become a silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud for 1.5 and 2.0 Roadster owners.

One thing that is interesting about Liberty Mutual (other than the low price), is that you can pay like $50 a year for new car replacement with a car that is 1 year newer than your existing car. That's not too meaningful for 2.5 Roadsters, but it could become a silver lining in an otherwise dark cloud for 1.5 and 2.0 Roadster owners.

I wonder how that would work if you (like me) drove a 2011 2.5. There ISN'T a newer model.

Anything from another state is pretty meaningless - but I am at $509 with Geico. I am a dull, middle-aged driver in California and it is not my primary car. The Model S - which is my primary car, is closer to $900.

(Actually - now that I study the policy - Geico does have the Roadster as my main car - just with low mileage.)