Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reasonable to leave MYLR in shop for 6+ weeks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a dent in my liftgate and brought it in to an authorized Tesla collision shop for repair. They dent was caused by myself so I need to go through my own insurance for this. They stated they would require a new liftgate which will take about 1 week to obtain. However, they said it will take about 6+ week to replace the liftgate, paint, etc. I'm curious to see if you guys think this is normal? Keep in mind, I only have 2 cars in our family. I honestly don't have the ability to live with a single car with an active family of 4 nor have the funds to rent an additional car for 6 weeks. Thoughts?

Let’s be real here. They are not “backed up” they are understaffed. It has been like this since the release of the Model 3 and is only getting worse.
Call it what you want but it's 3rd party repair shops. You could also say there aren't enough good tesla certified body shops. Huge difference in Tesla service and body shop.

How much of the 6 weeks is the wait time? If the car is drivable, check with the body shop to see if you can bring it to them when they are ready to work on it. If the whole process must be 6 weeks, then see if there is another shop that can do it differently. In essence, find out the whole process timeline to see why.