Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 jack points damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so I purchased a vehicle from 3rd party and after a few weeks of ownership. I noticed a slight vibration in my steering wheel so I took it into Tesla and they discovered wheel was slightly unbalanced and they also noticed one of the jack points was extremely gouged now they say it seems like it’s just cosmetic but if I notice any abnormal things or lights or anything then to bring it in immediately but for the most part it seems like it’s just cosmetic and I shouldn’t have any worries..

I have contacted the 3rd party dealership who I purchased the vehicle from. but it’s been a complete he say she say bull crap. And I’ve never owned any electric vehicle so I didn’t know to check this points before purchase

Is there a way of fixing this or am I stuck with this damage and will it cause any issues in the future.

Any information would be valuable

Thank you for reading .

Attachments

• IMG_3187.jpeg
    IMG_3187.jpeg
    340.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3184.jpeg
    IMG_3184.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3183.jpeg
    IMG_3183.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3186.jpeg
    IMG_3186.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_3185.jpeg
    IMG_3185.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3182.jpeg
    IMG_3182.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
I think this is what happens when towers attach straps to those holes. They are not meant for that... It is probably just cosmetic but might prevent from using the jack pucks that are sold everywhere. You might want to try to bend the metal back as you can. And monitor as others are saying
Ok I will try and bend it back at least .

I actually purchased those jack pucks but I guess it can only be used on the 3 sides only

Is there a way of fixing this or am I stuck with this damage and will it cause any issues in the future.
You can bend it back into shape, as other have mentioned, or pay someone to do it for you.
Or do nothing at all, and it will no more impact on your car than a bent jacking point on any other vehicle.

I will definitely try that because 16k for a battery is ridiculous

What does superficial damage to metal around the jacking point have to do with the battery price?

... It is probably just cosmetic but might prevent from using the jack pucks that are sold everywhere. You might want to try to bend the metal back as you can.

Jack pucks are not a Tesla accessory. It's just something enterprising folks sell to cash in on scared and inexperienced Tesla owners.
You can jack a Tesla the same way you would jack ANY other vehicle:
  1. Identify proper reinforced jacking points (easily done on any car by just looking, or you can look them up in a manual).
  2. Position a proper jack's saddle underneath the jacking point. A $1 hockey puck can be optionally placed into jack's saddle.
  3. Lift and smile. Then do whatever you had set out to do that required raising a corner of the vehicle in the first place.
  4. Open a beer and enjoy.
HTH,
a

Reactions: nate704
You can bend it back into shape, as other have mentioned, or pay someone to do it for you.
Or do nothing at all, and it will no more impact on your car than a bent jacking point on any other vehicle.

What does superficial damage to metal around the jacking point have to do with the battery price?

Jack pucks are not a Tesla accessory. It's just something enterprising folks sell to cash in on scared and inexperienced Tesla owners.
You can jack a Tesla the same way you would jack ANY other vehicle:
  1. Identify proper reinforced jacking points (easily done on any car by just looking, or you can look them up in a manual).
  2. Position a proper jack's saddle underneath the jacking point. A $1 hockey puck can be optionally placed into jack's saddle.
  3. Lift and smile. Then do whatever you had set out to do that required raising a corner of the vehicle in the first place.
  4. Open a beer and enjoy.
HTH,
a
Because as quoted by Tesla is that the Jack points are all connected to the battery so only way to fix the Jack points Is to remove the entire battery and install a new one which will then have new Jack points .. that’s why it’s 16k and the invoice quote from to prove it ..

I'd just get a pair of ViseGrips and try and bend it back the best you can. Then maybe touch it up with a file to get off any burs or sharp edges, so nobody runs their hand along their feeling for the jack point and slices themselves up.
I went to a trusted shop of mines and they bended it back for me .. and we inserted those little hockey puck in it and all is good as new ..