Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just received an email about a voluntary recall relating to bolt corrosion in the steering gear for Model X built before mid October 2016. My car was built in January of that year.
Tesla has decided to proactively retrofit a power steering component in some Model X vehicles. This voluntary recall applies to most Model X vehicles built before mid-October 2016. Model X vehicles built after mid-October 2016 are not affected. Our records show that you own a Model X affected by this recall.
We are not aware of any injuries or collisions relating to the power steering component. However, we have observed excessive corrosion on the bolts that attach this component to the steering gear in affected Model X vehicles. This corrosion has been observed primarily in very cold climates that use calcium or magnesium road salts rather than sodium chloride (table salt). If the bolts fracture from corrosion, the driver may lose power steering assist. This would not prevent the driver from steering the vehicle, but it would require more force to turn the steering wheel, especially during low speed parking maneuvers when power steering assist is at its highest use. Power steering assist decreases with increasing speed, so the driver may not notice a need for more steering force at highway speeds.
Tesla will replace the bolts and apply a corrosion-preventative sealer in all affected Model X vehicles to account for the possibility that any vehicle may later be used in a cold, highly corrosive environment. The service will be free of charge. If any bolts are found broken on your vehicle or break during removal and cannot be removed, we will also replace your steering gear, again free of charge. Tesla will contact you to schedule a service appointment when parts become available in your region. At this time, you do not need to take any action and you may continue to drive your Model X.

i just received an email about a voluntary recall relating to bolt corrosion in the steering gear for Model X built before mid October 2016. My car was built in January of that year.
We also received the email notification (March 2016 build). I'm hoping for a mobile tech visit, but there was no word on that yet. I'm not hugely concerned with this recall, but I'm glad Tesla is addressing the issue.

I just got the email on the power steering bolt recall. 2016 Model X.

My friend has a Mercedes SUV and just received exactly the same recall.

We concluded that Tesla designed in the same power steering unit that Mercedes uses.

He also noted the gearshift stalk is the same in both cars.

He was impressed. I just thought it demonstrated once again that Tesla is smart.

Hi All,

There was a recall for this on early Model S vehicles.
It makes sense that they are doing it on the X.

From the Model S forum:
Power Steering falling apart

My wife had the recall performed on her S last summer by mobile service.
5 bolts changed if there is no damage to the power steering actuator...

The aluminum bolts on the Bosch power steering unit do not hold up well
in the Midwest where magnesium based road salts may be used...

Good luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: JimVandegriff