Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 200,000 vehicles over backup camera glitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Recall' is an antiquated term. This is just an over-the-air software update that happens automatically. There is no need to take your car in for service, Tesla just downloads the fix during the next update. It is the beauty of owning a Tesla but the Fox News pundits are clueless and love to make something out of nothing.

Essentially the same thing as automatic updates on a Windows PC that happen as often as every week. But those aren't called recalls even though it's the same process.

Last edited:
'Recall' is antiquated term. This is just an over-the-air software update that happens automatically. There is no need to take your car in for service, Tesla just downloads the fix during the next update. It is the beauty of owning a Tesla but the Fox News pundits are clueless and love to make something out of nothing.
I agree that the term Recall is antiquated, but it's all of the mainstream media, not just Fox News, who loves to trumpet "Recall" for these software updates. They celebrate every chance they get to hate on Musk.

What’s the actual issue with the rear cameras? The article just says they don’t display properly. I have’t noticed any issues with our S and Y.
Your car is most likely not affected. Someone else commented the software was already sent to the affected cars. One way or another, the issue is resolved. I don't know why the OP felt the need to make this post this without looking into the issue.

Reactions: SO16
While the convenience of an OTA update to resolve this cannot be denied, something else here really demands our attention: This problem was reportedly caused by instability in the software stack, which they introduced with a prior release. Their software quality assurance / control process is absolute garbage. Tesla introduces regressions with far too many of their updates. Yet, they want us to trust their software to drive our cars for us. Sure, why not.

'Recall' is an antiquated term. This is just an over-the-air software update that happens automatically. There is no need to take your car in for service, Tesla just downloads the fix during the next update. It is the beauty of owning a Tesla but the Fox News pundits are clueless and love to make something out of nothing.

Essentially the same thing as automatic updates on a Windows PC that happen as often as every week. But those aren't called recalls even though it's the same process.

They aren't called recalls because they don't have to do anything. Maybe if they were actual treated like recalls things would be better.

Reactions: cwerdna
I read about the rear seat bolts recall. And the auto steer recall. Now this.

I thought Tesla's were supposed to be the best. What is up with all these recalls?
I use android. All the Apple People tell me that ios is better because it gets more updates.

I guess they are wrong. Why does it need so many updates if it is the best?!?!!?

The update was released January 3rd to effected vehicles
They began deploying it on Jan 3rd. See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24V035-6803.PDF from 2023 TESLA MODEL X (ALL VARIANTS) SUV AWD | NHTSA under campaign 24V035000.

Unfortunately, we will have to wait for the quarterly reports to see the rollout progress.

The above doc also has Jan 6 and Jan 8 as key dates.

Even with OTA updates, it may not reach all affected vehicles within a quarter. Example, for the below affecting the same vehicle:
"February 15, 2023 NHTSA Campaign Number: 23V085000
Full Self-Driving Software May Cause Crash", under the associated docs, the latest quarterly report I can find right now is https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLQRT-23V085-2465.PDF with data submitted Oct 30, 2023. For some reason, about 19K vehicles out of 362K in that recall's population hadn't been remedied by that point.