Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Received my VIN, but .....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm taking delivery of a Model 3 Performance - Deep Blue Metallic, White Interior and EAP on 12/5/18. It was ordered on 11/23/18 Black Friday.

Received my VIN which ends in 080915. I'm reading posts of VINs with much, much higher numbers than that. Could it be I've been assigned a VIN that someone refused delivery on ? I've emailed Tesla and tried calling them, but no response.

I'm getting worried now ..... yikes

I dont know.. its possible. I have been trying to read up on the vin subject, and have seen that they assign the vins in batches so you cant KNOW that your car was sitting, etc.

Email your Owner advisor and ask him for the cars "birthday". That date is in tesla's system and I was told by my Owner advisor (and one of the managers In the tesla store I went to ) that the "birthday" date is the date (and time) the car was first offered for sale or available to be sold. For my particular vin, the birthday of the car is 11/27.

you could likely call tesla delivery and ask them, if you cant get your owner advisor. Ask tesla delivery what the birthday of your car is. I got a really nice lady when I called them today (while watching red zone sunday football), and she was able to confirm my delivery day and location and the fact that she didnt see my vin assigned to anything before me (per the thread that @Glamisduner had, where they had a different name in his file.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I have emailed, but no reply. How can I tell who my Owner Advisor is ? I don't see a name anywhere in my account. I do see a delivery date appointment though.
Just check the driver side door sticker when you first get a look at your car. The odds are VERY VERY high that it is a recent build month.
VINs are not being used sequentially, so your VIN is not an indicator of when the car was built.
Hope all goes well for you with your delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: boriszima
I also ordered on Black Friday (Deep Blue AWD LR, VIN is 130xxx. Delivery Tuesday (Raleigh, NC).

Mine has been at the SC since early this week so it was already on the way to the east coast (or nearby).

My only concern (and it is minor) is paint. Mechanical issues would be a pain, but I really don't want to see anything that requires significant respray. Fingers crossed that the paint booth team was having a good day the day mine was made!

Not much you can do but relax and wait for delivery.

I'm taking delivery of a Model 3 Performance - Deep Blue Metallic, White Interior and EAP on 12/5/18. It was ordered on 11/23/18 Black Friday.

Received my VIN which ends in 080915. I'm reading posts of VINs with much, much higher numbers than that. Could it be I've been assigned a VIN that someone refused delivery on ? I've emailed Tesla and tried calling them, but no response.

Hi,
Just want to ask you did you receive your VIN# after you’ve made a full payment?
Thank you

Just want to ask you did you receive your VIN# after you’ve made a full payment?

Season's Greetings,
I actually received a call, text and email from Tesla informing me of my delivery appointment. The VIN showed up about a day or two later. I ordered the car on Black Friday at the Tesla store in Rocklin, CA. They told me on the day of the delivery to bring the final payment. This way I can inspect the car first. They also told me that I can pay with a personal check..Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays

Don’t expect to communicate with advisor. Don’t worry about VIN. People should stop using my VIN is NNxxxx regarding problems too. It just confuses matters. Just use build date on door tag.

Sometimes I suspect the build date as genuine too and wonder if they reprint them at service centers. It seems impossibly fast to build, order and deliver all the way to the northeast in the same month, but mine magically did.

Don’t expect to communicate with advisor. Don’t worry about VIN. People should stop using my VIN is NNxxxx regarding problems too. It just confuses matters. Just use build date on door tag.

Sometimes I suspect the build date as genuine too and wonder if they reprint them at service centers. It seems impossibly fast to build, order and deliver all the way to the northeast in the same month, but mine magically did.

I also wonder about the build date, given the fact my upcoming cars "birthday" as shown to me by the Owner Advisor (on teslas internal screens, so I could not take a picture of it, or get a copy of it), showed a birthday of 11/27 @1:37pm.... and I was looking at it on 11/28. The car was either on the way to, or AT the costa mesa CA service center.

Thats about a 6-7 hour drive, so its "possible" it went straight on a truck and to the delivery center, I guess its possible.

Its very hard getting used to the lack of data on this from tesla. As I mentioned in another thread, coming from BMW, there are a few online vin decoders that will tell you the day your car was born, and all of its options including color, interior, and all of the options that particular car has. Of course, ordering a BMW is like going to a salad bar, with all the different options / choices you can make.

Ordering a tesla is like ordering a cesar salad, with a choice of a few lettuce types, 2 dressings, and whether you want tomatos or not (lol).. much less variability in ordering a tesla, at least the Model 3

Reactions: mswlogo
Its very hard getting used to the lack of data on this from tesla. As I mentioned in another thread, coming from BMW, there are a few online vin decoders that will tell you the day your car was born, and all of its options including color, interior, and all of the options that particular car has. Of course, ordering a BMW is like going to a salad bar, with all the different options / choices you can make.

I agree with you totally. Actually postponed an order for a 2019 Acura NSX for the Tesla Model 3. This will be our first Tesla, but our 4th different electric car (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt and Honda Fit EV). Will initially charge with our existing J1772 EVSE until the Tesla HPWC is installed - mainly due to where the EVSE is currently installed in the garage and the length of the cable.

I finally got through to Tesla and spoke to Brandon. He told me the birthday of my VIN was November 2018 and the car was not rejected by anyone else and was only assigned to me. He couldn't see the actual date though, just 11/2018.

I'm not going to worry about it anymore. The main reason for my call to Tesla was to make sure everything was okay for delivery on 12/5. Since we're taking Lyft there, I didn't want to pay another $39 for a Lyft ride back home.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's !!!

I agree with you totally. Actually postponed an order for a 2019 Acura NSX for the Tesla Model 3. This will be our first Tesla, but our 4th different electric car (Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt and Honda Fit EV). Will initially charge with our existing J1772 EVSE until the Tesla HPWC is installed - mainly due to where the EVSE is currently installed in the garage and the length of the cable.

I finally got through to Tesla and spoke to Brandon. He told me the birthday of my VIN was November 2018 and the car was not rejected by anyone else and was only assigned to me. He couldn't see the actual date though, just 11/2018.

I'm not going to worry about it anymore. The main reason for my call to Tesla was to make sure everything was okay for delivery on 12/5. Since we're taking Lyft there, I didn't want to pay another $39 for a Lyft ride back home.

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's !!!

Your picking up one day after me (but this is my first EV). Definitely a learning curve for me, but I am excited! I am actually as excited as I was when I got a BMW for the first time.

Happy holidays!

Funny, Brandon was also the initial delivery coordinator that reached out to me... maybe there’s more than one Brandon at Tesla lol.

I also take delivery 12/5@10a at home in the Bay area.

Curious, where are you taking delivery?

For anyone else... here’s the number Tesla sent me via text if I had any questions about delivery, etc.

415-268-9487

Funny, Brandon was also the initial delivery coordinator that reached out to me... maybe there’s more than one Brandon at Tesla lol.

I also take delivery 12/5@10a at home in the Bay area.

Curious, where are you taking delivery?

For anyone else... here’s the number Tesla sent me via text if I had any questions about delivery, etc.

415-268-9487

That might be the number of your delivery contact specifically... I am in southern california and got a completely different phone number (and person) who contacted me about delivery a few days ago. They havent replied to any contact after that though.