Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent heat pump failures - software issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i edited my other reply to reflect that i thought it was your invoice.

Ok. It makes sense now. Even I don't own a heat pump equipped Tesla but my cars are getting old, so I want to trade in soon. In addition, it's boring to stay in California after a while, I want to visit Canada too, so that's why I am interested in the fix prior to my commitment to future heat pump equipped Tesla car purchases.

In either case (SW/HW fix). 30.6 seems a tamporal hotfix that enables the heatpump to keep running from what I can read on twitter.

This software update should tell the system to keep working despite those error messages, until Tesla can figure out a way to prevent this issue from occurring in the first place.

Reactions: bkokes
Service technicians replied to me and have proactively ordered a new compressor and supermanifold though they weren't exactly sure it would solve the issue. The fact they ordered both has me thinking they've iterated on the design and a newer one is available. Otherwise what are the odds both parts would require replacement? Pure speculation though.

Reactions: Vawlkus
The update is being offered to me this evening. I haven't had any heat pump issues. The avg outside temp has been in the upper 20F - 40F, cabin temp set to 68F, seat heat set to medium, steering wheel heat on. The regen braking however is nearly absent on cold mornings, and is reduced throughout the day.

Some things can't just be a "software" issue, when it's happened to last year's models and this year's models that were just recently delivered (mine is barely 4 month old). I get how some people are so into "OMFG, my car just got better with a OTA update", but I'd rather that if it's a hardware issue, they recognize that it's a hardware issue, recall it, and fix it, then say here's a OTA update to "fix"/ignore sensors until winter is over and you forget about it until next winter

Reactions: Justus
Some things can't just be a "software" issue, when it's happened to last year's models and this year's models that were just recently delivered (mine is barely 4 month old). I get how some people are so into "OMFG, my car just got better with a OTA update", but I'd rather that if it's a hardware issue, they recognize that it's a hardware issue, recall it, and fix it, then say here's a OTA update to "fix"/ignore sensors until winter is over and you forget about it until next winter
I think it is both hardware and software. They interated on the hardware and so those that don’t have the latest are subject to both possible hardware and software issues. According to what the techs told me my April 2021 MYLR build has the latest hardware so they think the issue I experienced was the “software” only issue.

I think it was sometiMe around when my build came out when the MY switched to the latest hardware but I’m just speculating.

Transport Canada looking into this now.

• Informative
Reactions: Braumin and Tam