Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent Supercharger openings in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time I heard someone complaining that a Supercharger is only 18 miles away from them.

I just got back from a road trip from San Diego to Colorado. Was amazed at how much Supercharger coverage has now become available.

I was in the resort community of Estes Park in the Rockies. They even have a Supercharger location behind the legendary Stanley Hotel there.

Only have a 75X that is has perhaps the least range from Tesla today, but still found lots of Supercharger locations and no range anxiety.

I have begun to appreciate the occasional stops along the way. The Superchargers have made vacationing much more relaxing and I no longer arrive at my destination dog tired

Yeah it really pisses me off that I cannot drive to Alaska. Hmmm... actually I don't think there are any electric networks that go there. Hmm... Actually Tesla is WAY AHEAD of everyone else. Perhaps when ANYONE starts getting closer they'll speed up a bit.

-Randy

I wasn’t complaining about the coverage, I was complaining about the laughably over optimistic coming soon maps.

Reactions: PLUS EV
Tesla has always been overly optimistic.

Shoot for the stars, but hit the moon kind of thing.

I never count on the coming soon locations. Only plan to use the ones that show up on my center display. Even those you need to click on to see that they are on-line and have empty slots before heading over.

Even though the locations are not perfect for every trip they are so far ahead of any other option.

I have been able to get anywhere I wanted to go in the past year by using existing Superchargers.

I have understood that the 3 is not so much a touring car as the S is. With that in mind, and knowing that Superchargers are for long distance traveling, Model 3s should mostly be using their own garages.

This is outside the fact that there were many owners who thought they deserved to charge their car at the local supercharger because it was free. In my experience, Free always means someone will abuse it, and they do. I am glad to hear that supercharging is going to be billed, and now to hear that superchargers are not being built out to offer supercharging to a few million Model 3 drivers that just want convenience charging because they don't want to pay an electrician to put in a 14-50 outlet. No one ever expected to get free gasoline for their ICE cars.

Due to range (especially the sandbagged range on the 3RWD) and charging speed (approaching 480 mph peak), Model 3 is actually a great road trip car, even though it doesn’t gobble gear like an S.

Nonetheless, I agree with your comment about people who don’t absolutely need local Supercharging using it to save a few dollars here and there. (Folks who legitimately cannot install home charging are a different story.)

Due to range (especially the sandbagged range on the 3RWD) and charging speed (approaching 480 mph peak), Model 3 is actually a great road trip car, even though it doesn’t gobble gear like an S.

480 MPH Max?

Image-1-1.png

I am still hoping to hit 500 MPH at some point. Or a LOT more on the new V3 chargers they will be rolling out soon.

-Randy

18 isn't much if it's in the direction you are heading. It's a lot when it is not just so you can get free electricity. That's 26 miles round trip or approx 35-40 range miles on a vehicle whose range miles is less than 220. That's not factoring in the traffic is 30 minutes each way. From Corona, the route is 91 to 241 to 5 and there is not any unless going out of the way to Santa Ana. Or if you go up 91 to 71 to 57 to 210 to Pasadena. Again, none along the route.

Like I said, can't complain much since it's still a lot more than 3 years ago. Only complaint is not enough service centers

ah tesla time. where everything is 18 months behind...
And all other car companies are a decade behind Tesla in their EV production capability and charging network construction. Wait, make that two decades behind. Currently, Chevy Bolt sales are stuck at about 1200/month compared to Tesla now building more than 8,000/month and increasing. And GM has no interest in building a useful charging network for their customers, which means they have to rely on the hit-and-miss experience of using private charging networks like Chargepoint and public charging stations.

I’ve been watching the Supercharger network expand since the first stations in late 2012. The growth has been extraordinary while at the same time consistently falling short of what Elon has stated he wants to achieve. Nothing new there. I prefer to look at the Tesla Supercharger network in the larger context of what the alternatives are offering, which by and large are pretty pathetic.

Like I said, can't complain much since it's still a lot more than 3 years ago. Only complaint is not enough service centers

Service? What for? I can install my own wiper blades, and there's not much service required past that. My Service Center is 115 miles away unless I go to the factory, and I've already done the tour, so no reason there, either. I have never done "service" -- except maybe when I was in the army back in the 60s. (Yeah, I'm old.) I don't need supercharging within a couple hundred miles, either, though it's only about 30 miles away, which I don't use. My garage is SOOOOO much easier.

Seems the majority of the time is the permitting process. When the construction starts it's usually pretty quick unless something didn't arrive for them to install. But yeah, would be nice if they all got on with it.

-Randy

This. I think permitting and inspection are the biggest bottleneck. I know first hand, even if a permit can be issued administratively like in Chico, plan review, comments and re-submittal efforts can take months.. If it takes council or committee action like I've seen other Cities, I could see it take a half a year!
I do feel like they were holding out for q3 numbers though, but it's full speed ahead now that they have prooved to everyone (we already knew) that Tesla is sustainable..

• Love
Reactions: Merrill