Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recent used Model S purchase and Autopilot/FSD confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a used 2016 Model S P100D (AP2.0) direct from Tesla. During the time it took between when I committed to the car and the delivery, I was asking questions of the sales person that I was assigned to. One of my questions was regarding if the car was going to eventually be upgraded to HW3 as Tesla is doing to these cars and if so when that might happen.
His answer was:

"The car will be eligible for the HW3 microchip upgrade when that is available later this Fall. No extra cost is needed for this, as your car already has “Full Self Driving Capability” unlocked and built into the car’s pricing."

From this answer does this seem to state that the car has FSD? From what I can tell, the car only seems to exhibit the abilities of "Basic Autopilot". It does not do the auto lane change or does it list summon, park or the other FSD features on the Autopilot screen. When I look at the available upgrades for the car it lists "Full Self Driving" and the $7000 price.

So, It seems that the car does not have FSD... But from the sales persons answer it seems to still be on the list of cars to be upgraded to HW3 later this year. I thought only the cars with FSD were getting this? Does anyone out there understand the terminology of the sales persons answer? I'm assuming that he was are looking at good information for my specific car. Could it be that Tesla pulled the FSD off of this car before reselling it to me? I'm just trying to make sure that the car has all that it should have.
I have attempted to contact the sales person regarding this a few times by email and phone with on response.
Thanks for any enlightenment some of you may have regarding this.

From what I have been hearing, Tesla has been removing FSD from used car purchases from their site.

That sales rep shouldn’t have said you get FSD. It may have had it on the car initially. If you did pay more for this car compared to one without it, then you should ask for FSD to be reinstated or a partial refund.

Reactions: croman
Keep your email. My used P85DL lost its ludicrous upgrade a couple months after I took delivery of it from Tesla, and the email where the sales guy stated that it does have ludicrous upgrade is how I got them to give it back.

I opened a support ticket and then had to refer them to my email exchange before I bought the car. They should do the same for your car since you have it in writing that the car had FSD.

• Helpful
Reactions: SO16