Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recirculate keeps turning off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recirc should almost always be off... unless you enjoy high carbon dioxide levels and dozing off in the cabin, hopefully with beta FSD and NoA on.
We need more FSD memes afterall. Maybee its a 'feature' and not a 'bug'?

CO2 concentrations can rise to 4 500 ppm in as little as 10 min for a passenger car with 3 passengers during air-recirculation mode.

Carbon dioxide has generally not been considered hazardous to humans at low levels, such as those typically measured in vehicles. However, recent studies suggest that CO2 can have deleterious effects on cognitive function and decision making, even at low-to-moderate concentrations and with short exposure times.
This is utter ********* BTW. Exhaust fumes from other cars are 1000s of times more dangerous than Co2. It would literally take days in a car without opening windows for you to be starved of oxygen. The body is extremely good and managing your Co2 levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update could be commanding a reduction in RECIRC due to musty smell problems that have been reported. As I mentioned in other threads I have NEVER had the smelly A/C problem -- I NEVER use RECIRC even in hot humid Florida summers.
I don't know how you do it. I live in Ft. Myers and without recirc on the air isn't early cold enough and humidity is unbearable.

Quite annoyed by the same problem here. My daily commute is a major truck road hence the smell of diesel exhaust is a larger concern than slightly higher CO2 ppm. I know there are sensor monitoring temp. and humidity on the system, maybe that's why the recirculate being auto-adjusted accordingly?

I noticed the recirculate button has 3 modes (clear/grey/blue), but none can lock to recirculate mode while using auto AC. Is there any way to do that?
I'm having the same issue. The diesel/petrol fume from cars in front is far more hazardous then co2 from humans, which can easily alleviated by opening windows at will when we want it?! I'm not sure why Tesla doesn't allow recirculate turn on as long as I keep it turned on in air con setting? All of my previous ICE cars had designated button for recirculate and it honoured the user setting all the time!!

Guys, do you also observe that the air recirculate setting is overruled (foot vent open) when a/c is turned off ? I always keep recirculate turned on (blue) either in AUTO or Manual mode. As soon as the a/c is turned off, I start to get road fumes come in to cabin, unless I turn on the a/c again, when I don't want the aircon!! It's driving me mad, any tips on how this should be escalated or resolved pls?

All my previous ICE cars had recirculate button/dial and maintained the setting unless I changed it myself.

This is utter ********* BTW. Exhaust fumes from other cars are 1000s of times more dangerous than Co2. It would literally take days in a car without opening windows for you to be starved of oxygen. The body is extremely good and managing your Co2 levels.
Yeh, and by the time co2 starts to affect our health we would have either opened windows or stopped by and have a stretch outside?!

Reactions: DblOSmith
Recirc should almost always be off... unless you enjoy high carbon dioxide levels and dozing off in the cabin, hopefully with beta FSD and NoA on.
We need more FSD memes afterall. Maybee its a 'feature' and not a 'bug'?

CO2 concentrations can rise to 4 500 ppm in as little as 10 min for a passenger car with 3 passengers during air-recirculation mode.

Carbon dioxide has generally not been considered hazardous to humans at low levels, such as those typically measured in vehicles. However, recent studies suggest that CO2 can have deleterious effects on cognitive function and decision making, even at low-to-moderate concentrations and with short exposure times.
4,500?