Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for Model S modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

I’m collecting my new (for me) Tesla next week and wanted to ask the forum about recommendations for the following modifications:

1. Model S lowering springs for a 2015 70D. I could only find T Sportline in the US.

2. Chrome delete - has anyone had this done and what should I budget for? Any supplies around midlands or London/South East?

3. I have 19 inch wheels. I’d love to get Matt black 20s or 21s. Who supplies Tesla official alloys or should I explore any other suppliers? I was thinking of having a winter set and summer set.

Thanks

James

You are entitled to dow htever you ant to your car but I wouldn't do any of it - partly 'cos I'm too cheap and also:
1) I'm rural so I'm forever raising suspension. And when i go into residential areas of local towns I'm raising it over speed bumps. When I;m parking nose to a kerb I worry about getting too close and scraping the underside front.

2)You can't see the chrome from the driver's seat. Stickyback plastic and Blue Peter.

3)Lowered suspension and 21in wheels and potholes - best of luck. You will find refurbished wheels on ebay at times and plenty of non-tesla wheels (but they probably weight more and affect range?). Tesla will sell you wheels...at a breathtaking price. Lots of folk won sets via referrals so you might find same via this site or tesla facebook groups. If cheap enough ('cos I'm cheap) I'd be interested in one of your old wheels as a spare...

If your in warranty don't fiddle with the suspension, the Xs from 2017 have issues with front upper suspension arm failures, and the S with the lower suspension control arm just 'falling off'/breaking when at full lock. These failures are so common when it occured on our X Tesla had parts in stock and turned the car round in half a day, so clearly Tesla service centres are geared up to deal with these issues.

The US owners are trying to get Tesla to do an official safety recall, however some genuinely 'fake' repeots from a few years ago made by a guy trying to make Tesla look bad is making the NHTSA very slow at responding to now genuine issues customers are seeing. So don't give Tesla any reason to invalidate your warranty by messing with the suspension.

Plenty of wheel options, Tesla ones appear on Ebay very often. I would personally stick with the Tesla wheels, these are heavy cars and reports of cracked official Tesla wheels is rare, where as even BMW OEM wheels crack on a regular basis on UK roads. If you do buy third party make sure they are at least TUV approved.

Last edited:
You may have air suspension and if so you';; be able to lower the ride. Its worth having the tracking adjusted if you run all the time like that as they inside edges of the tyres wear more quickly

A have had chrome delte, not my think but any decent wrap place should do it. The hardest part are the handles given theor shape

I would be wary about after market wheels because of the weight of the car. You can get high load rims if you look around. Or if you stuck to Tesla wheels its one less thing to tell the insurance company about.