Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for winter wheels & tires in Montreal, Quebec?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For refreshed model 3 (2021) and all model Y, Tesla moved to bluetooth TPMS. Older model 3 used TPMS based upon Continental part using 433MHz which was more readily avaialble (more third party suppliers) whereas Bluetooth TPMS is proprietary to Tesla and so far can only purchased from them. So if you want TPMS it will have to purchased from Tesla.

I also have a 2021 M3 SR+ and went with a OEM copy of the 18" Tesla Aero wheels OEM Plus TL03 which allows for transferring the Aero wheel covers to the winter rims in order to improve range efficiency especially at highway speeds. Purchased in package from tire dealer in GTA with Michelin X-Ice Snow 235/45R18 without TPMS sensors. I instead purchased the Ingenext Bonus Module which allows me to disable TPMS warning message and unlock rear heated seats (and other features) for the same price as four bluetooth TPMS sensors. Company is also based in Quebec.

I had a set of Nokian Hakkapliita R3 tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 - Winter tires / Nokian Tires) installed on my Model 3 OEM rims and moved the original summer tires over to a set of replacement rims. Drove through my first winter here in Waterloo and had absolutely no traction or control issues at all -- I admit that we don't get as much snow here in SW Ontario as you do there in Montreal but I still heartily recommend these tires.

One thing of note however: because of the tread pattern and tire material, these tires have a noticeably louder road noise than you'd get with the Michelin X-Ice tires.

For refreshed model 3 (2021) and all model Y, Tesla moved to bluetooth TPMS. Older model 3 used TPMS based upon Continental part using 433MHz which was more readily avaialble (more third party suppliers) whereas Bluetooth TPMS is proprietary to Tesla and so far can only purchased from them. So if you want TPMS it will have to purchased from Tesla.

I also have a 2021 M3 SR+ and went with a OEM copy of the 18" Tesla Aero wheels OEM Plus TL03 which allows for transferring the Aero wheel covers to the winter rims in order to improve range efficiency especially at highway speeds. Purchased in package from tire dealer in GTA with Michelin X-Ice Snow 235/45R18 without TPMS sensors. I instead purchased the Ingenext Bonus Module which allows me to disable TPMS warning message and unlock rear heated seats (and other features) for the same price as four bluetooth TPMS sensors. Company is also based in Quebec.
Does it module work on the new 2021? It's easy to install ?

Does it module work on the new 2021? It's easy to install ?
Considering I have a 2021 M3, I would say it works. The function for disabling TPMS sensor warning is specific for Bluetooth TPMS which was only introduced in 2021 on M3. With respect for easy install that is up for debate. The steps for installaing are relatively easy just the location where the unit needs to be installed is difficult to access unless you have small hands. Took me about 45 minutes (over 20 attempts laying on back on passenger side) to finally make the connection. If you are lucky and make on first attempt should take less than 5 mins.

Hi,

It's that time of the year when new Tesla owners in Montreal like me have to purchase brand new winter tires!
I have seen options on the Tesla shop, both for my M3 and my MY, but I find these rather expensive (... and out of stock anyway). I'm pretty sure I can save money by buying tires / wheels separately.

Plus I'm considering buying tires only (+ Bluetooth TPMS, no choice) and have the shop (either Tesla Service Center or another Tesla-affiliated garage) switch them on my OEM wheels. That would spare me the need of buying new wheels, considering both my 2021 M3 and 2021 MY are 4-year leases.

Do you think that would be a good option, or would you recommend buying new wheels anyway, knowing that it will cost more each six month to have the shop install the all-season / winter tires on the OEM wheels rather than just switching wheels with tires on them? In the long run (4 years), it might be a better option to buy new wheels as well if I save enough money on all tire switching each 6 month...

Thanks for your advice!

Hi,

It's that time of the year when new Tesla owners in Montreal like me have to purchase brand new winter tires!
I have seen options on the Tesla shop, both for my M3 and my MY, but I find these rather expensive (... and out of stock anyway). I'm pretty sure I can save money by buying tires / wheels separately.

Plus I'm considering buying tires only (+ Bluetooth TPMS, no choice) and have the shop (either Tesla Service Center or another Tesla-affiliated garage) switch them on my OEM wheels. That would spare me the need of buying new wheels, considering both my 2021 M3 and 2021 MY are 4-year leases.

Do you think that would be a good option, or would you recommend buying new wheels anyway, knowing that it will cost more each six month to have the shop install the all-season / winter tires on the OEM wheels rather than just switching wheels with tires on them? In the long run (4 years), it might be a better option to buy new wheels as well if I save enough money on all tire switching each 6 month...

Thanks for your advice!
For a four year lease it might be best to search out some all weather tires like the Michelin Crossclimate 2. These all weather tires contain the severe winter service symbol (mountain with snowflake) making them qualify as a winter rated tire. I would keep on the vehicle basically for the duration (both winter and summer) of the lease (or the last spring before lease return) and then re install the OEM tires prior to lease return. This will ensure you have decent thread on the tires for lease return and avoid the constant changing of tires at tire shop every 6 months.

My personnal experience with winter tires and and rims is that you can typically sell for 50-75% of what you paid for them on something like Kijiji assuming they are decent condition. And if you have the appropriate facilities (flat area and jack) you can change the tires on your own time without relying on scheduling a visit to a shop.

Thanks @Mutant for your answer and suggestions!
However I'm sure my wife would not be confortable with the idea of having all-Weather tires instead of Winter tires. We'll go skiing every weekend so I even find myself not keen on the idea.

For this year, we'll probably go with winter tires only, and eventually buy wheels the next year

I've read that changing tires could cost around 120-160$ (CAD) each time. For those who change their tires on their existing wheels each 6 month, does that price range make sense to you?

Thanks @Mutant for your answer and suggestions!
However I'm sure my wife would not be confortable with the idea of having all-Weather tires instead of Winter tires. We'll go skiing every weekend so I even find myself not keen on the idea.

For this year, we'll probably go with winter tires only, and eventually buy wheels the next year

I've read that changing tires could cost around 120-160$ (CAD) each time. For those who change their tires on their existing wheels each 6 month, does that price range make sense to you?
It's pretty unheard of to swap tires on rims every season. Usually people buy a set of rims just for winter and put the tires on them. The cheap rims for this even have their own nickname: "steelies"

Swapping tires is a pain in the ass because the rims have to be rebalanced every time a new tire is put onto them (every tire has slightly different weight variations, and weights are put on the rim to account for them), and rebalancing means the old weights are pried off and new weights are glued on. The valve stems are also not reusable and are replaced every time.

Once you got a set of winter and summer rims, you can swap them yourself in your garage in 20 minutes using a Canadian Tire torque wrench and the jack that comes with your car.

Reactions: Threader
absolutely agree: if you are physically capable, have proper tools and of course are willing. I know most shops even though they might torque to spec don't test drive and recheck torque and tighten back up to spec. I roll my own and after every short test drive with a few hard brakings I have to re-torque 1 or 2 nuts.

Reactions: razh
absolutely agree: if you are physically capable, have proper tools and of course are willing.
That's the main issue actually :D I'm definitely not a good mechanician ;)
Plus I would have no clue about how to install the bluetooth TPMS in each tire, so I really need to let a qualified person do it for me.

I just need to know whether tire swap + TPMS installation would cost me $150 or $450 each 6 month. If it rounds up more about $300 or $400, then I will really consider buying wheels (replica or even steelies).

Ordered a set of Michelin - X-Ice North 4 factory studded., Replika Wheels R187 Gun Metal wheel and Tesla TPMS from PMC tires. Fully assembled, balanced, delivered (Free) $2500 all taxes in I didn't mind the extra jacked up price on the Tesla TPMS (120 surcharge) I don't feel like driving to get them at Tesla and then having to take tires and wheels to my local shop there and back. Worth $120 to avoid all that running around. Also kind of break even since PMC don't charge for service and delivery. Building a house up in the Laurentian mountains and studs are a must.

Last edited: