Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault message after changing wheels..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used M3 private party about 3 months ago.. The former owner had installed aftermarket wheels/tires on it.. The TPMS worked fine.. He gave me the factory wheels with winter tires in the deal.. I installed them this past weekend and since then I have the TPMS error..

I went into service and updated the tire size, the screen rebooted, but the error persists.. Any ideas what to check?

Thank you!

I bought a used M3 private party about 3 months ago.. The former owner had installed aftermarket wheels/tires on it.. The TPMS worked fine.. He gave me the factory wheels with winter tires in the deal.. I installed them this past weekend and since then I have the TPMS error..

I went into service and updated the tire size, the screen rebooted, but the error persists.. Any ideas what to check?

Thank you!

Either the wheels don't have the sensors or you just need to replace them.

Reactions: pilotSteve
What year is your new-to-you 3 ?
I just had my winter wheels & tires put on my 3 this week. I also had trouble getting the TPMS sensors recognized. I went into Service Mode and under the Chassis section I reset the TPMS. Then when I reset the tire type in the Service menu they were recognized.
This is promising! I will try that tonight.. Thanks!

Thank you!

Don't do anything.

It will clear in a few days. It always does.

I have a winter set of tires and a summer set. I change and rotate my tires A LOT and I always get TPMS system errors for a day or two....and then it goes away.

2022 has the newer TPMS. You need the Bluetooth sensors, not the older RF sensors. If the wheels you put on are from a pre 2020 car, they have the wrong sensors for you.
The wheels I installed were the factory ones (with different tires though).. The guy I bought the car off put aftermarket wheels/tires on (they were on it when I bought the care and TPMS worked correctly).. He also gave me the factory wheels with the new tires on them for winter..

I texted him and asked if he remembered if he removed them from the factory wheels to put on the aftermarket and he said he couldn't remember..

Is there anyway or any place that would be able to test/do anything without taking the wheels off and tires?

The wheels I installed were the factory ones (with different tires though).. The guy I bought the car off put aftermarket wheels/tires on (they were on it when I bought the care and TPMS worked correctly).. He also gave me the factory wheels with the new tires on them for winter..

I texted him and asked if he remembered if he removed them from the factory wheels to put on the aftermarket and he said he couldn't remember..

Is there anyway or any place that would be able to test/do anything without taking the wheels off and tires?
I'm sure a Tesla SC can check the newfangled bluetooth sensors from outside the tire, still on the car.

Literally ANY tire shop can check the old style sensors from outside the tire, still on the car. They have handheld RF doodads that can chat with the TPMS sensor.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Oh, my mistake. The BT TPMS were around $400 when I bought my wheels, so It's possible that he only had them on one set of the wheels and not on the other. They've come down a bit by now but still almost $300.
I think the only real way to check would be to pull one tire off and see if it has the sensor, not sure if you can tell just by the stems.