Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tire Pressure Monitoring System Fault message after changing wheels..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue with rear driver TPMS. It's been 2 weeks since the error appeir. Just took a appointment at my closest SC. Hopefuly , it's just 5 min from my home.
Don't do anything.

It will clear in a few days. It always does.

I have a winter set of tires and a summer set. I change and rotate my tires A LOT and I always get TPMS system errors for a day or two....and then it goes away

Bump. Any news? I am having a similar problem. Tire shop broke one sensor when changing tires. They put a new Bluetooth, universal tpms sensor on it. The warning says it may clear after the next drive. Wondering if the car will have to “sleep” first before the next drive for this warning to clear?
Next step would be to call Tesla SC.

I knew it wouldn’t happen without some kind of hitch. Please keep us updated.

Bump. Any news? I am having a similar problem. Tire shop broke one sensor when changing tires. They put a new Bluetooth, universal tpms sensor on it. The warning says it may clear after the next drive. Wondering if the car will have to “sleep” first before the next drive for this warning to clear?
Next step would be to call Tesla SC.

I knew it wouldn’t happen without some kind of hitch. Please keep us updated.
I still have the error on mine.. Just dealing with it..

Hi All,

I recommend taking the car to any current tire shop and asking them to test your TPMS sensors.
Tell them that the Model year is 2020, they will not know the difference.
Any tires that return good readings have the Wrong TPMS installed.
Any tires with bad readings will need to be tested by Tesla…

Good luck,

Shawn

PS - My TPMS which will read Bluetooth sensors will not read anyone’s generic Bluetooth sensor but it will read Tesla TPMS sensors. I also advise any testing be done with your iPhone in another room.

Hi All,

I recommend taking the car to any current tire shop and asking them to test your TPMS sensors.
Tell them that the Model year is 2020, they will not know the difference.
Any tires that return good readings have the Wrong TPMS installed.
Any tires with bad readings will need to be tested by Tesla…

Good luck,

Shawn

PS - My TPMS which will read Bluetooth sensors will not read anyone’s generic Bluetooth sensor but it will read Tesla TPMS sensors. I also advise any testing be done with your iPhone in another room.
I may just call Tesla SC. They’ll probably tell me they have to replace the sensor. If so, I may try to get my money back from the tire shop that installed it.

So, as a follow up,
I returned to the garage where they installed my tires and they brought the tpms tool/reader out. It couldn’t read the original tpms sensors, only the Autel they installed. So the guy took out another tool and could read them all except the Autel sensor.

This indicates to me they installed a non-compatible sensor.

So, I ask how we can resolve the problem and the guy says, “What do you expect to happen? You have an experimental car that you can’t get any parts for and you expect everything to go fine? I won’t give up any more shop time.”

So, I ask him to refund the cost of the sensor and he tells me he can’t do that. At this point there is a vein popping out on my forehead and he offers to refund half. Rather than blow my top I accept.

I now have an appointment with the SC and I expect to have to pay for a new sensor plus labor.

Lesson learned $$. I asked this guy three times if he had experience working with Teslas. Each time he replied, “We service all cars, sir.” The reason I went to him was because I wanted a different set of tires than Tesla offered, and at a good price. They are a well known, highly recommend local tire shop. Really disappointed.

Hope all goes well at the SC. Will report back.

So, as a follow up,
I returned to the garage where they installed my tires and they brought the tpms tool/reader out. It couldn’t read the original tpms sensors, only the Autel they installed. So the guy took out another tool and could read them all except the Autel sensor.

This indicates to me they installed a non-compatible sensor.

So, I ask how we can resolve the problem and the guy says, “What do you expect to happen? You have an experimental car that you can’t get any parts for and you expect everything to go fine? I won’t give up any more shop time.”

So, I ask him to refund the cost of the sensor and he tells me he can’t do that. At this point there is a vein popping out on my forehead and he offers to refund half. Rather than blow my top I accept.

I now have an appointment with the SC and I expect to have to pay for a new sensor plus labor.

Lesson learned $$. I asked this guy three times if he had experience working with Teslas. Each time he replied, “We service all cars, sir.” The reason I went to him was because I wanted a different set of tires than Tesla offered, and at a good price. They are a well known, highly recommend local tire shop. Really disappointed.

Experimental? Depending on the year off the Model 3 they are 433 Mhz or Bluetooth sensors. I bought my set of 433Mhz from tire rack.com when I bought tires and had their mobile service install both. Bluetooth sensors are available on the Tesla web site but let the SC sort it out.

Reactions: afadeev and dcfas
Experimental? Depending on the year off the Model 3 they are 433 Mhz or Bluetooth sensors. I bought my set of 433Mhz from tire rack.com when I bought tires and had their mobile service install both. Bluetooth sensors are available on the Tesla web site but let the SC sort it out.
Same here. 433Mhz from EBAY, five years ago. Beautiful matching black valve stems, too. Still going strong. I swapped the winter wheels/tires on Saturday, and within about five miles of driving they were properly reporting in the tire pressure screen.

Reactions: afadeev
You can technically swap them out yourself, but its not for the faint hearted.

Basically, you take a wheel off the car, let as much air out of it as possibly and lay it on its side (pretty side up). Place a long 2x4 on the tire by the valve stem section ensuring it won't hit the rim.

Now here's where it gets tricky. Drive another car slowly up the 2x4 until it breaks the tire bead.

If you've got the the tools to do it, you remove the valve stem and tpms and put a new one in.

Slowly back the car off the 2x4 to reseat the bead then fill the tire up with air. Should keep its balance because you didn't take it off the rim.

I'd pay a shop to do it, but it is possible to do yourself.

Just got back from the Tesla service center. This was my first time there, and it went seamlessly. The service was scheduled for two hours but took only about 45 minutes. The guy in the office told me they would mount any compatible tires, but they cannot order them for you. They will only order the Tesla packaged wheels and tires.

New sensor and service was just under $200. No more TPMS nag. Happy.

As a side note, the Vredestein Wintrac Pros were very sure footed in the inch or so of snow we had this morning.

Reactions: CCopperpot
Just got back from the Tesla service center. This was my first time there, and it went seamlessly. The service was scheduled for two hours but took only about 45 minutes. The guy in the office told me they would mount any compatible tires, but they cannot order them for you. They will only order the Tesla packaged wheels and tires.

New sensor and service was just under $200. No more TPMS nag. Happy.

As a side note, the Vredestein Wintrac Pros were very sure footed in the inch or so of snow we had this morning.
Also TireRack.com is a good source for tires and knowledge and they have mobile service to install. Used twice at my home seamless.

I'd leave a bad review detailing the problem with the shop on Google Maps and Yelp.