Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended apps and sites to locate CCS charge stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took advantage of the reduced price for the CSS Adaptor and it's coming in a day or two. What apps and sites are good ones to use to locate and use this adaptor when we travel? I currently have ChargePoint. Which others? Thanks.
Download the Plug Share app to locate available charging stations. Use Google Maps to locate Electric Vehicle Charging locations.

Besides Chargpoint you can use Electrify America, Blink, EVgo among other DC fastcharge networks with the Tesla CCS Combo Adapter.

So I took advantage of the reduced price for the CSS Adaptor and it's coming in a day or two. What apps and sites are good ones to use to locate and use this adaptor when we travel? I currently have ChargePoint. Which others? Thanks.
When planning a trip, you can use ABRP and tell it you can use both Tesla and CCS chargers and it’ll tell you the best optimal route.

Is there an easy way to trigger a Tesla to precondition for CCS charging?
Easiest way is to add a stop, after the CCS stop, to the closest supercharger to that CSS stop. Ideally, there is one at the same intersection, or at the next interchange on the highway, but I've had it start preconditioning even though the Supercharger stop was 30 minutes further along the route. Every little bit helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: alexcue and jcanoe
Easiest way is to add a stop, after the CCS stop, to the closest supercharger to that CSS stop. Ideally, there is one at the same intersection, or at the next interchange on the highway, but I've had it start preconditioning even though the Supercharger stop was 30 minutes further along the route. Every little bit helps.

That sounds like it would work. But if there's one that close I'd probably just go to the supercharger.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Yeah, I used abetterrouteplanner.com to plan some really long routes from my house, giving it the option to use CCS and SC, and it picked SCs for all stops. Not sure how useful the CCS adapter really is these days. Ironically enough, I used my Chademo adapter back in the day a few times, but the SC network has grown a lot since then.

Yeah, I used abetterrouteplanner.com to plan some really long routes from my house, giving it the option to use CCS and SC, and it picked SCs for all stops. Not sure how useful the CCS adapter really is these days. Ironically enough, I used my Chademo adapter back in the day a few times, but the SC network has grown a lot since then.

There are still a few spots where like Henryetta OK that have CCS and are in the middle of a long SC gap. But also people who DCFC as their primary (which I don't understand) probably really appreciate the option.

There are a few places like Little Rock and Memphis where the SC is not convenient but a CCS is easy to get to from the interstate.

Reactions: Cosmacelf

I don't think a CCS adapter is necessary, but it can certainly be convenient.

For instance, just at the end of this past year, I took a road trip out to Colorado. The first night while driving from NC to Paduccah, KY, because I had a CCS adapter, I didn't have to detour into Nashville to charge. I just skirted the northeast side of town and charged at the Electrify America station right off I-24 in Clarksville, TN.

Later, while heading over to Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado, I stopped off in Walsenburg, CO, where I was able to use the CCS adapter to top off at a diner called George's Drive Inn, before heading over La Veta Pass into the San Luis Valley. I could have charged to 100% in Pueblo, but I needed to eat lunch somewhere along the way, and so the timing made the slow CCS a very attractive option.

EVGO lets you plug and charge without swiping a card or using the app once you register. You just plug in and it knows your vehicle similar to Tesla Supercharger. They also offer a temporary discount for Tesla owners which is cheaper than I can charge at home or with a supercharger.