Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a single source to view ALL EV charging stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traveling across the desert Southwest, for example, can be daunting because Supercharger sites are sometimes few and far between. It can be a bear to try and juggle multiple apps/Google. etc. to find an alternative (non SC) charging location if things get a little tight.

Is there a single source that displays all your charger options - SC, EA, Chargepoint, etc., etc. - in case you want to see all the options? I'm thinking about a map showing all of them, ideally tappable to find street address, info on the charge speed, amenities, etc.

Traveling across the desert Southwest, for example, can be daunting because Supercharger sites are sometimes few and far between. It can be a bear to try and juggle multiple apps/Google. etc. to find an alternative (non SC) charging location if things get a little tight.

Is there a single source that displays all your charger options - SC, EA, Chargepoint, etc., etc. - in case you want to see all the options? I'm thinking about a map showing all of them, ideally tappable to find street address, info on the charge speed, amenities, etc.

Reactions: emiliorescigno
This has got to be some kind of question asked / question answered record!

If the OP doesn’t mind me piggybacking, I’d love to know if there’s some dependable way of being able to search for hotels with EV charging also.

I’ve seen a few sites. But then the hotels don’t always have EV charging, even when they’re on the list.

This has got to be some kind of question asked / question answered record!

If the OP doesn’t mind me piggybacking, I’d love to know if there’s some dependable way of being able to search for hotels with EV charging also.

I’ve seen a few sites. But then the hotels don’t always have EV charging, even when they’re on the list.
Same answer.... plugshare

As mentioned Plugshare, and you can use the in car web browser to view it and you can set it up as favourite on the browser for fast access. You will have to configure Plugshare to display the plug types that you want. The most common are Tesla SCs, CCS1, J1772, Tesla destination, NEMA 14-50.

be very cautious about if they are up or down, have the payment methods already setup, try some "just in case"

Pepco in Rockville Maryland (electric company) has perhaps 1/2 dozen EV chargers from different folks at their HQ off Gude Drive. next to a solar canopy and next to UMd Solar Decathlon house winner

On a whim when I had a plug in Prius I went to try and had _zero_ luck getting _any_ of those damn things to work, plain J 1772
"set up payment method first please" etc. tried 3 diff companies, quite frustrating
(designed to fail it seemed)

(I have supercharged 205 times so far, plus charge at home and when visiting run a 10 gauge 120v cord out window quite successfully)

the below site is searchable somewhat in that you can "sort" columns (gives all in a state for example) but go with plugshare and filter

Last edited:

Others may know more, but I'm kinda partial to ABRP. Even though Rivian has bought them, the info is very Tesla friendly. You can input your trip and tell it to use other types of chargers, like this quick roundtrip I punched in from Austin to LA and back. I told it to also use other chargers:
1697928100881.jpeg

And if you click on those chargers, it'll tell you what it knows:
1697928204444.jpeg

Haha, I'd avoid non Tesla chargers as much as possible. Too unreliable.

Reactions: Whatstreet
Yes! ABRP for the win.

I made my third trip in as many years from Milwaukee to Minneapolis to visit friends. The Tesla nav always suggests two stops. ABRP picked three. Made sense as it did not require as much of a charge so the wait time was much less. Maybe go from 15% to 65% VS 10% to 85%. As you know at the higher SOC it really slows down at the end. Also, we're old and welcome a short stop to stretch and pee every 90 minutes. The overall trip time was actually the same or a little less.

Reactions: DuncanM and KenC
not all hotel staff are familiar with their EV charging capabilities
Spot on. Most of the time hotel staff are clueless. Case in point: my wife (she has the Ioniq 5, her choice, not mine, I have a Tesla MYP) was traveling, very nice big chain hotel in a big metropolitan Mid-Atlantic area, not exactly Orange land. I told her to call and ask whether they had EV chargers. She did. She was told “no” by a clueless rep who did not even know what EVs and charging stations were. I told her to call back the next day. She did. Same clueless answer, different service “rep”.

Then when she arrived there parking at the underground garage of the hotel, there were six charging stations (free for paying customers with parking included). And fast ones for Level 2 (48 amps). All good. She is happy

Since CCS is the de facto American standard (and most abundant non-Tesla chargers), I'll ask the same question I'm sure others have asked - Will the J1722 adapter work for us, or would I need a dedicated CCS adapter to use those non-standard stations?

Since CCS is the de facto American standard (and most abundant non-Tesla chargers), I'll ask the same question I'm sure others have asked - Will the J1722 adapter work for us, or would I need a dedicated CCS adapter to use those non-standard stations?
CCS (DC charging) is totally different plug than J1722 (Level 2 AC charging) plug. For a Tesla to use CCS fast (DC) chargers, you will need another adapter (CCS adapter)

J1772 adapter comes with a new Tesla, but additional ones are maybe $25. CCS adapter is a separate purchase, and are only compatible with new enough Teslas that can "speak" CCS over the charge port. Tesla official adapter is somewhat expensive at $175, when it's not out of stock. Third party adapters are a gamble due to quality and potential charging network policy/lockout. The only one I even considered purchasing was from a company called A2Z. Fortunately the Tesla one went back in stock right after we took delivery of our 2023 model Y. But that adapter is about 40% of the way through "paying for itself" from cheaper / free CCS options, let alone the peace of mind in the rare but realistic scenario of a Tesla Supercharger going offline on your trip...

to be somewhat fair, 205 Supercharging sessions, Key West, Florida to Buffalo, NY, by way of Asheville, NC, to Rest stop I-95 Delaware. (east coast US) only 1 problem (1 supercharger down in WVa as WaWa was being rebuilt(like bulldozed)) so didn't need J1772 adapter. East Coast has a lot of SC's

The most common are Tesla SCs, CCS1, J1772, Tesla destination, NEMA 14-50.
Campgrounds may have TT-30, sometimes in greater abundance than 14-50. TT-30 is 30A 120V, so it can provide up to 2.88kW EV charging.

However, use of a TT-30 requires an aftermarket TT-30 plug adapter for the Tesla Mobile Connector, or an aftermarket TT-30P to 14-30R adapter to use a Tesla Mobile Connector with its 14-30 plug adapter.

Reactions: RayK
Campgrounds may have TT-30, sometimes in greater abundance than 14-50. TT-30 is 30A 120V, so it can provide up to 2.88kW EV charging.

However, use of a TT-30 requires an aftermarket TT-30 plug adapter for the Tesla Mobile Connector, or an aftermarket TT-30P to 14-30R adapter to use a Tesla Mobile Connector with its 14-30 plug adapter.
I have a TT-30P to 14-30R adapter in my charging kit. Never had to use it so far but with my daughter traveling around in an RV, it's probably only a matter of time before it's useful.