Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended PPF installer in So Cal? (West side)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mobilesuit818,

I came up with a few other questions that others might like to know. I was just going to call Doug, but figured keeping a single POC such as yourself will minimize multiple calls to Doug and help continue to legitimize the existence of our deal (plus other's may want to hear the answer):

1. How long does Doug need the car for?
  • Just PPF? I think it's 1 day, does that mean drop off at 8am and pickup at 6pm same day?
  • Just Modesta?
  • Both PPF and Modesta? I think it's 2-3 days, but is that drop off Monday 8am and pickup Wednesday at 6pm?
  • Does tint add to these times?
  • I want Doug to have all the time he needs and to take his time and do a great job. BUT, I'm also looking at losing my car that I've waited literally YEARS for immediately within a day or two of getting it! Super painful.

2. How would Doug prefer we accept our vehicle from Tesla? It seems that in the forums there are many reports of scratches and chips, etc. Assuming the damage isn't so great that it has to go to a body shop, is it best to NOT have Tesla polish out these defects? Sometimes they introduce more work for Doug by trying to buff these things out....SO, it might make sense for Doug to offer his 2 cents for what he'd prefer? I'd like to preserve as much of my clear coat as possible and if having Doug do the simple corrections vs fixing the delivery center's work is preferred, well then I'm all for it!

Thanks as always

Do we have a way to track both "interest" as well as actual "appointments"? I don't have my appointment just yet, but I'd like to be counted in the "interest" tally to help build that up. Clearly the extra discount won't happen until the 20+ is for appointments, but if the interest # shows we're at 20 (or close), it might make more people book knowing that they'll get the extra discount?

Do we have a way to track both "interest" as well as actual "appointments"? I don't have my appointment just yet, but I'd like to be counted in the "interest" tally to help build that up. Clearly the extra discount won't happen until the 20+ is for appointments, but if the interest # shows we're at 20 (or close), it might make more people book knowing that they'll get the extra discount?
I didn't create a way to track that, but do you have any suggestions?

Looks nice and shiny. That tint is definitely going to come in handy in the coming months. Can't tell from the picture but is there a seam on the PPF anywhere? Also did you get the Tesla badge reapplied after you took the photo?
No badge. The adhesive from Tesla is on backordered from last year. So all missing hood logos are done by Concours. He will apply it once the adhesive comes in.

Stupid question, but one of the benefits of the ultra PPF products is self healing via heat. I've seen the videos, it's impressive stuff. But, if you coat Modesta (or any ceramic coating for that matter) wouldn't you lose that? Scratches or swirls that would have easily self healed with heat will now occur on the top coating instead and they don't self heal... Anyone care to explain?

@mobilesuit818,

I came up with a few other questions that others might like to know. I was just going to call Doug, but figured keeping a single POC such as yourself will minimize multiple calls to Doug and help continue to legitimize the existence of our deal (plus other's may want to hear the answer):

1. How long does Doug need the car for?
  • Just PPF? I think it's 1 day, does that mean drop off at 8am and pickup at 6pm same day?
  • Just Modesta?
  • Both PPF and Modesta? I think it's 2-3 days, but is that drop off Monday 8am and pickup Wednesday at 6pm?
  • Does tint add to these times?
  • I want Doug to have all the time he needs and to take his time and do a great job. BUT, I'm also looking at losing my car that I've waited literally YEARS for immediately within a day or two of getting it! Super painful.

2. How would Doug prefer we accept our vehicle from Tesla? It seems that in the forums there are many reports of scratches and chips, etc. Assuming the damage isn't so great that it has to go to a body shop, is it best to NOT have Tesla polish out these defects? Sometimes they introduce more work for Doug by trying to buff these things out....SO, it might make sense for Doug to offer his 2 cents for what he'd prefer? I'd like to preserve as much of my clear coat as possible and if having Doug do the simple corrections vs fixing the delivery center's work is preferred, well then I'm all for it!

Thanks as always

Response is as follows:

PPF does take 1 day but some M3’s needed additional prep to due lackluster finish from the factory so YMMV. Don’t forget thst he gets bookings for other cars as well.

Modesta takes 2 days minimum, 1/2 day for paint correction and another day just for primer to cure.

PPF/Modesta can happen in 3 days.

Tint adds 1/2 day.

I’ve seen him bang out 4x M3, all doing Tint, PPF and Modesta in a matter of a few days...(pics are attached)

Doug will always do what is best for his client, I’ve seen him turn away business because of some major defects.

He will always do a walk down of the car beforehand to ensure that it’s workable for his team and will share his recommendations. Minor blemishes like with most cars can be corrected to equal or better than factory finish.

If in doubt, always take a day time pic of the questionable areas and email them to him and he can review and advise.

I do prefer being a single POC for Concours, and will try to answer everyone’s question within 24hrs, you might have to repost again if I forget.

Attachments

• 166D7688-60A8-4560-80A6-00CFE5328B9F.jpeg
    166D7688-60A8-4560-80A6-00CFE5328B9F.jpeg
    557.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Stupid question, but one of the benefits of the ultra PPF products is self healing via heat. I've seen the videos, it's impressive stuff. But, if you coat Modesta (or any ceramic coating for that matter) wouldn't you lose that? Scratches or swirls that would have easily self healed with heat will now occur on the top coating instead and they don't self heal... Anyone care to explain?

PPF is simply meant to provide protection from impacts/scratches.... most commonly rock chips on the front end of your car.

These films are thick, and are essentially like a clear vinyl wrap to simplify it.

Film has different properties not including UV protection.
Coatings have different properties which include UV protection.

It is a common practice to apply a coating, or even just a wax if you prefer, on top of PPF in order to create a hydrophobic surface that is easier to clean and maintain.

This way you still get the impact protection from the film, while also receiving the easy maintenance and environmental protection that comes with a coating.