Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended uses for Valet mode and driving speed parameters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the standard/general practice, for using Valet mode and top speed parameters, for setting limits when taking your Model 3 to local businesses for getting work done? Examples could be...getting windows tinted, tires switched out, car wrapped, etc. Does the Valet mode have usable limits with in it that work in most of these cases or is there a way to use Valet mode in conjunction with limiting the speed range? If so, what's the recommended settings?

Remember that the frunk cannot be opened in valet mode, which will be an issue e.g. if you get the car wrapped. If you are sure that access to the frunk isn't required, I think the main benefit is that they can't screw around with things like your registered keys and driver profiles, or pair Bluetooth devices.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I would certainly put the 'Speed Limit Mode' to the minimun of 50 mph and 'Creep Mode' on.

However, I think that the 'Speed Limit' only emit a warning while driving, but still allow you to drive above the selected speed?

Under 'Safety & Security' you can turn off 'Allow Mobile Access', so this is blocking the App to access the car remotely,
this is certainly something that I would not to be disabled, in particular because you cannot access the location.

Remember that the frunk cannot be opened in valet mode, which will be an issue e.g. if you get the car wrapped.
If you are sure that access to the frunk isn't required, I think the main benefit is that
they can't screw around with things like your registered keys and driver profiles, or pair Bluetooth devices.

Note: Under 'Profile' you can create a new user, would it be possible to select then this new user and locking this user
with a PIN number so this user would not be able to make any changes but still able to open the Frunk?

Last edited:
Under 'Safety & Security' you can turn on and off 'Allow Mobile Access', so this is blocking the App to access the car remotely,
this is certainly something that I would not to be disabled, in particular because this disables the location.
Turning off Mobile Access requires the Tesla account password, so this should not be an issue.
Note: Under 'Profile' you can create a new user, would it be possible to select then this new user and locking this user with a PIN number so this user would not be able to make any changes but still able to open the Frunk?
Don't think so.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I wish the Valet mode block the ability to make Donuts or Crazy Acceleration, just to avoid ruining my tires.

I just hope that who ever will borrow your car will not watch this Brooks Weisblat's video:

TESLA BUG EXPOSED * How to turn off all restrictions * donuts & Plaid Mode Discussion
I guess I'll take a picture of the mileage when I drop it off just in case so I can see if it was taken for a 'joy' ride. I'm pretty sure if a business is doing.. say a wrap or tinting that they don't really need to take it out for a spin because that has nothing to do with the driving functions of the car.

Reactions: NEGA S85
While on the subject. I use my phone as the key and I have the two Tesla key cards I received with my purchase. Question... I'm guessing that I'll need to leave the business one of my key cards at drop off. So, upon doing that they will have access to everything within the screen... correct? Or is there where I would lock down certain features before giving them a key. What's to say that if they are smart enough they will know how to undo any changes I made since they'll have one of my original keys.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
While on the subject. I use my phone as the key and I have the two Tesla key cards I received with my purchase. Question... I'm guessing that I'll need to leave the business one of my key cards at drop off. So, upon doing that they will have access to everything within the screen... correct? Or is there where I would lock down certain features before giving them a key. What's to say that if they are smart enough they will know how to undo any changes I made since they'll have one of my original keys.
If you activate valet mode it locks a few critical things down. From the manual:

When Model 3 is in Valet mode, the following restrictions apply:
  • Speed is limited to 70 mph (113 km/h).
  • Maximum acceleration and power are limited.
  • Front trunk and glovebox are locked.
  • Home and Work locations are not available in the navigation system.
  • Voice commands are disabled.
  • Autopilot convenience features are disabled.
  • The Allow Mobile Access setting is disabled.
  • HomeLink (if applicable in your market region) is not accessible.
  • Driver Profiles are not accessible.
  • The touchscreen does not display the list of keys that can access Model 3 (see Managing Keys on page 10).
  • Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled. When Model 3 is in Valet mode, you cannot pair new Bluetooth devices or view or delete existing paired devices.

When Model 3 is in Valet mode, the following restrictions apply:
  • Speed is limited to 70 mph (113 km/h).
  • Maximum acceleration and power are limited.
- I wish the speed limit was limited to the locally GPS accessible posted speed limit.
What the point to have a 70 mph limit
if you give your car to a valet or a mechanic in a city street where the speed limit is 25 mph?

- What the criteria for setting the maximum acceleration and power?
Did you ever tested this behaviour?

Note: I would be great to be able to create a new user with limited performance and speed limited to posted signs.
This could be a feature for parents who want to control their child when borrowing their car.

Last edited: