Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Service mode - What does it do/limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car went in to Mitchell Inglis last Tuesday for a bumper repair. Since then, it's been in Service Mode. The estimate they gave me on their website is that the repair should be completed this Wednesday. I have integrations with my car and Home Assistant so can see its status and various other attributes via Home Assistant.

I noticed earlier that the car was online and the doors were open so figured they were working on it. On checking the Tesla app, I can see the car is still in Service Mode but the location is nearly 3 miles away from where the body shop is. I'm concerned one of the employees is using my car as their personal vehicle as the address its at is a house.

What does Service Mode actually do? Is it like valet mode in that it limits speed, etc? Does the car come out of Service Mode when they leave the geofence around the body shop?

Next time its driving, can you get a screenshot of the internal camera via sentry mode, or is that off in service mode? Otherwise, I'd call the garage and ask them to offer a very credible explanation. You can provide them with an address where you car has been parked up..

On checking the Tesla app, I can see the car is still in Service Mode but the location is nearly 3 miles away from where the body shop is. I'm concerned one of the employees is using my car as their personal vehicle as the address its at is a house.

I doubt very much they took a Tesla for a jolly. They usually have much nicer cars to choose from.

I doubt very much they took a Tesla for a jolly. They usually have much nicer cars to choose from.
Not sure that post you linked to is true. The app showed me it’s location at the body shop until today when it changed. As you say though, I’m sure they have better cars to go for a jolly in. They’re a Lamborghini crash repair centre so I doubt they’ll be excited by another Tesla!

I’m not sure knowing what gets turned off helps you. By default Service Mode disables many settings and features and adds a speed limit. Some can be turned back on manually.

Disabled
Bluetooth, WiFi
Mobile App Controls
Audio
Dashcam, Sentry, Intruder/Security Alarm
Auto Wipers

Not sure that post you linked to is true. The app showed me it’s location at the body shop until today when it changed. As you say though, I’m sure they have better cars to go for a jolly in. They’re a Lamborghini crash repair centre so I doubt they’ll be excited by another Tesla!
Was it in service mode all that time? Perhaps it just displayed the last known position?

Otherwise if your car can travel 3 miles while only putting 1 mile on the odometer, then I think you've got a keeper :)

Teslamate or Teslafi would have put your mind at rest.

Reactions: sparkymark75
They are fixing the car of COURSE it will be in service mode. Service mode is to see alerts/errors/logs and it allows the calibration of sensors found in the bumper. Relax and let them do their job in peace.

It’s not about service mode per se. The OP is questioning if service mode may change where the car is displayed as being located. Ie is the car being shown as parked 3 miles away from the garage outside a house a reliable indicator of true position.

It’s not about service mode per se. The OP is questioning if service mode may change where the car is displayed as being located. Ie is the car being shown as parked 3 miles away from the garage outside a house a reliable indicator of true position.
Yes and I have seen similar with my car as they may go to another shop for painting or other work. Test drives are typically needed to calibrate new sensors.