Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Record attempt. Long distance on motorways.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What to do when your wife is on business trip, your kids are not living at home anymore and you have to take one day off from work within a week.

Well I decided to make a one-day-Tesla-long-distance-trip :).

I wanted to test how long my Tesla could go in one charge on motorways.
I wanted to see how much slower hypermiling is compared to driving faster.
I wanted to see how many kWh the cars has available.
I wanted to see how many gallons or liters of petrol the car would have used in one charge if it was a fossil car.
I wanted to test if you can use hypermiling when driving at night so you don´t have to wake up the kids when charging.

When I told my friends and colleagues about the distance (it was pretty long for an EV :) they just answered. OK. Not impressed at all.
Then I told them about the energy consumption compared to petrol and they went crazy.

Therefor I decided to make two video versions of my trip.

A Tesla and EV enthusiast version in real nerd style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsNbwFXkwwQ

And then a shorter version targeted at non Tesla and EV enthusiasts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtVnkUjfFyE

This version only focuses and what they can relate to in there own fossil cars. Energy comsumption in petrol.

Reactions: spottyq
Yep.
Actually I mention Casey in the end of the extended video :).

I drove 2/3 of his distance but in 1/4 of his time.

My attempt was on motorways where I cannot go below 50 mph.

Last edited:
So was it just pure luck that your return trip required a whole number (i.e, exactly two or three, etc.) of super charger stops?
Did you start from the first SC with 80% charge?

Your results strongly suggest that if someone did the equivalent experiment here in the US where the maximum practical speed
is much lower (let's be really generous and call it 85mph, even though averaging that over any great distance without getting a
speeding ticket would be difficult) and thus much more energy efficient they would find that going the max practical speed with
whatever necessary SC stops might be significantly faster than driving in an energy-efficient manner. If we assume some reasonably
simple E = aV^2 + bV relationship between (E)nergy consumption and (V)elocity, we know what (average) rate the SCs charge at, and
we make some assumption about the average spacing of SCs we should be able to figure out expected trip time as a function of driving
velocity. Perhaps someone who doesn't have a job to go do right now :oops: can work this out :)

I started the out trip with 100 percent and unffortunately I did not time the charging correct so the batteries were not warm.
Also my personal drive way starts with a very steep gravel road where consumption is 1000 pr km.

I did not really have a charging plan for the home trip.
Just gave it everything within the speed limit (remember parts without speed limit :)).
And then just took the chargers that matched my speed.
Thoug I planned to avoid chargers in Hamburg as I thought they might be crowded.

I dont think my return trip would have been faster if I had started with 100 percent.
I think I would just have reached the last charger in Randers with more juice.