Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Highway Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Lucid’s big battery is already 118 KWH and it’s the most efficient EV of its size (and one of the most efficient, period) on the market. With the right charger, it can also charge incredibly quickly.

Funny thing though, even with the smaller battery, all versions of the Lucid Air have about the same range due to less weight and smaller tires on the smaller battery versions. Plus they have more rear legroom and storage space with the smaller battery, as has been alluded to previously.

Comparing a Lucid road trip experience with a P85 is like comparing a current ICEV with a 70s/80s car - there’s no comparison in comfort, performance or efficiency.
I'm looking forward to seeing what going on trips is like with the 2023 Long Range Model S compared to my P85. Should be much easier.

Reactions: Zcd1
I consistently get 150 - 200 miles using 80 KWH on my 2020 Model S LR+. I charge to 90% SOC and charge again when it drops to 10% SOC.
I am no longer an aggressive driver. However, my car has the 21" wheels and I work from home for the past 4 years and my avg round trip is less than 5 miles. Occasionally, I do one or two 100+ mile roundtrips, in that case I get 230 - 260 miles. Still nowhere close to the 404 miles EPA estimate.
I have reported to Tesla Service, several times. Every time they come back to say that the HV battery is just fine, and my driving habits are to be blamed.
Just for kicks, I exchanged my car with my buddy who has the 2016 Model S D75 for a couple weeks. With similar driving practices, I consistently got 200+ miles. Not sure what gives. Please help.

I consistently get 150 - 200 miles using 80 KWH on my 2020 Model S LR+. I charge to 90% SOC and charge again when it drops to 10% SOC.
I am no longer an aggressive driver. However, my car has the 21" wheels and I work from home for the past 4 years and my avg round trip is less than 5 miles. Occasionally, I do one or two 100+ mile roundtrips, in that case I get 230 - 260 miles. Still nowhere close to the 404 miles EPA estimate.
I have reported to Tesla Service, several times. Every time they come back to say that the HV battery is just fine, and my driving habits are to be blamed.
Just for kicks, I exchanged my car with my buddy who has the 2016 Model S D75 for a couple weeks. With similar driving practices, I consistently got 200+ miles. Not sure what gives. Please help.
402, not 404.
The long range was never rated 402 with 21" wheels.

So coming back to this thread, I still didn't know what range the current Model S is capable of (generally looking for warm weather ~70 MPH range). I did however find this Bjorn video with some range test data
. He has data for 90 and 120 km/h, which is about 55 mph and 75 mph. His data says the S LR got 291 miles at 120 km/h. He has data for Plaid as well, and it was only 15 miles less. I'd still like to see about 50 more miles. I'll be looking to replace my Model S with a long range travel car in a few more years. I'll check back then and see where we are at. :)

So coming back to this thread, I still didn't know what range the current Model S is capable of (generally looking for warm weather ~70 MPH range). I did however find this Bjorn video with some range test data
. He has data for 90 and 120 km/h, which is about 55 mph and 75 mph. His data says the S LR got 291 miles at 120 km/h. He has data for Plaid as well, and it was only 15 miles less. I'd still like to see about 50 more miles. I'll be looking to replace my Model S with a long range travel car in a few more years. I'll check back then and see where we are at. :)

Perhaps he should have done the test with the aero covers???

According to articles I've seen, the long range Model S gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 to 600 miles of range.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on where to find no BS reviews of EV range that includes Tesla Model S? This should be statistics that include and detail reasonable highway cruising speeds. Bonus if it includes both winter and summer data. None of that hypermiling garbage. No "See what happens to Tesla range when lifted and running on offroad mud tires while hauling a trailer!". No super fans. No EV haters. Like, you know, REAL information.

PS: I'm looking for more recent model information. I'm starting to look more closely at highway mileage, as someday I want to have one long range capable EV and one just for everything else EV. But it's annoyingly hard to find useful range information, as everyone either tries to paint these cars in the best possible light or the worst, neither of which are helpful.

PPS: I've come to the conclusion that EPA range estimates are stupid and useless. Sure, EPA, do your thing to calculate average efficiency. But if you are going to show range, around town is pointless useless garbage. Never once have I cared about my around town range. Only highway range matters. EPA range estimates should be 100% highway mileage, probably at around 70 MPH.

According to articles I've seen, the long range Model S gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 to 600 miles of range.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on where to find no BS reviews of EV range that includes Tesla Model S? This should be statistics that include and detail reasonable highway cruising speeds. Bonus if it includes both winter and summer data. None of that hypermiling garbage. No "See what happens to Tesla range when lifted and running on offroad mud tires while hauling a trailer!". No super fans. No EV haters. Like, you know, REAL information.

PS: I'm looking for more recent model information. I'm starting to look more closely at highway mileage, as someday I want to have one long range capable EV and one just for everything else EV. But it's annoyingly hard to find useful range information, as everyone either tries to paint these cars in the best possible light or the worst, neither of which are helpful.

PPS: I've come to the conclusion that EPA range estimates are stupid and useless. Sure, EPA, do your thing to calculate average efficiency. But if you are going to show range, around town is pointless useless garbage. Never once have I cared about my around town range. Only highway range matters. EPA range estimates should be 100% highway mileage, probably at around 70 MPH.
FYI, here’s a run I did last fall with my 23 LR with 19”. Roughly 277 miles in tad colder climate and used around 79% with battery heating on for last 1/2 hour of drive.

Attachments

• IMG_3052.png
    IMG_3052.png
    591.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: