Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode: CAUGHT in the act keying my car with knife

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the insight, everyone.

In light of more pressing matters, I contacted the WC PD to inquire about vandalized vehicles. They mentioned not having received similar accounts and recommended emailing the footage for record-keeping in case of future incidents, which I did. As of now, they won't investigate.

I've considered sharing facial images and the knife-wielding act on social media, but I'm concerned about personal safety if the individual retaliates. As others have pointed out, someone willing to damage property with a knife might escalate.

Another thought is to place signs with the images at the charging station where this incident occurred. While it may help raise awareness, we all recognize the inherent risk of leaving cars unattended, so it might ultimately be a waste of time (although it'd provide some personal satisfaction).

It's unfortunate that we're even discussing this, but it highlights the importance of addressing mental health and illness.

Good thought on seeing what a detailer can do before taking it to a body shop.

My wife noticed door ding/scratches on our car the other day, and what a terrible feeling it is. I too went to my video recordings to see if it caught the person, and it DID! Was super excited until I noticed it was my buddy. lol. That was an awkward conversation to have.

Thankfully there was a nice middle-ground solution for us both - our friend does mobile repair jobs for dealerships and was able to buff all of it nearly away. Only at the right angle with a flashlight, you can see 3 faint lines.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and zoomer0056
Vandalism sucks. I'm not a fan.
If one gathers the evidence to discourage it - then act on it.
If one has no intention to act on the video evidence - then don't waste battery charge to run Sentry Mode. Sentry Mode becomes pure waste of electrons.

Kind of logical, isn't it?

Actually, it’s not logical to me. I’m the kind of guy who, when somebody does something incredibly moronic on the road, I make a point of giving the person a good long hard look. Not (usually) because I want to invite a conflict, but because I am engaged in a constant process of building a mental template of characteristics of people who think it is OK to do stuff like that, so that conceivably in the future, I would be able to look at a person and know from my template that they are just about to commit some horribly stupid and heinous act…

Sentry recorded an incident involving my car that I almost missed.

I was deleting some week old Sentry clips. I give each one a last look before deleting; I keep any that are entertaining to show friends. I was looking at the right side repeater view in one clip. I thought it would show me approaching my car. However, I did not see myself but I did see a very slight movement in the camera. I thought it might have resulted from a wind gust. Not completely satisfied with my own speculation, I checked the left camera; expecting to see myself pulling on the door handle. What I did see was a rapidly approaching pickup truck. It passed my car, pulled over into the parking space in front of my car, reversed and hit the front of my car, pulled forward and stopped. The driver exited and walked away. I don't think he knew what happened; he didn't look at his truck or my car.

I had not seen any damage on my car previously so now I had to get out and do a microscopic examination to find the impact point. I found absolutely nothing. The truck had hit my car with a very light tap. I was very lucky that day.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and zoomer0056