Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red brakes owners - what is your rated miles @ 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy,

The lady who posted the 90% video is taking up way too much space in my head == ;). This Internet thing is way out of hand.

We have the red brakes version of the Model 3. Mileage is 8,739.

When I charge to 90% the rated miles is 278. That works out to 305.8 for 100%. So we've lost a couple miles.

What say you for this car? When you charge to 90% what is your rated miles?

Peace and love,

When was the last time you did a full cycle?

if you are doing proper driving (charging every day) the battery calibration can get off a little bit. Mine still shows 310 miles at full charge, but only if I have done a long road trip recently

How do you know the slider is set to exactly 90%?

Exactly 90% should yield 279 miles. One mile more than what you are seeing.

Howdy,

The lady who posted the 90% video is taking up way too much space in my head == ;). This Internet thing is way out of hand.

When I charge to 90% the rated miles is 278. That works out to 305.8 for 100%. So we've lost a couple miles.

Peace and love,

Reactions: Carrera
The whole charging thing is confusing when it seems like it should be black and white.

My buddy who has an S swears that best practice is 80/20. He's not afraid of full charge, but says to keep it limited -- which seems to be the consensus.

Some say don't do much supercharging. But then what are they for?

Some say don't let the battery drop below 20%. But then brother Elon comes along and says it can go down to 5%.

Seems like battery best practice is akin to the secret handshake?

The one thing I've adopted is I do keep it plugged in now while at home.

I supercharge regularly probably 3500 of my 4000 miles. I had 310 miles in September, and I had 310 miles by December. I limit the time I spend at 100% and probably only do a 100% charge once maybe twice a month.

Its good to let it fully charge to 100% to get that balancing charge to happen but then drive it immediately so it doesn't sit at 100%.

Howdy,

Peace and love,
Your math is wrong. 90% of 310 is 279

My 90% continues to drop. I am now at 269mi at 90%. 2,174 miles, averaging 311 Wh/mile

I contacted Tesla, and was told,
"The battery pack is sized to provide range. Our range is carefully calculated and measured according to rigorously reviewed standards. In contrast, a vehicle’s battery pack energy capacity varies with the rate of discharge and cell temperature. The range should not viewed as an Odometer as the range shown is an estimation of miles that can be driven after the Tesla has analyzed the outside environment, features normally used, and driving style."

My buddy who has an S swears that best practice is 80/20. He's not afraid of full charge, but says to keep it limited -- which seems to be the consensus.

Some say don't do much supercharging. But then what are they for?
Supercharging is intended for use when you are travelling, that's what it's for. As far as using it as a frequent source of charging it is most likely not as good for the battery as a slower method but the long term effects don't seem to be too bad in most cases.

Some say don't let the battery drop below 20%. But then brother Elon comes along and says it can go down to 5%.
Elon says it can, and of course it can, it can even go all the way down to 1%, that doesn't mean it should or that there aren't negative effects from doing so. Doing a deep discharge once in a while may be a good thing and may help recalibrate your estimate, but doing it on a frequent basis is not a good idea.

Seems like battery best practice is akin to the secret handshake?

The one thing I've adopted is I do keep it plugged in now while at home.
I think you're overthinking it trying to find the perfect plan when a "pretty good" plan will not likely noticeably affect your battery life at all.

Supercharging is intended for use when you are travelling, that's what it's for. As far as using it as a frequent source of charging it is most likely not as good for the battery as a slower method but the long term effects don't seem to be too bad in most cases.

Elon says it can, and of course it can, it can even go all the way down to 1%, that doesn't mean it should or that there aren't negative effects from doing so. Doing a deep discharge once in a while may be a good thing and may help recalibrate your estimate, but doing it on a frequent basis is not a good idea.

I think you're overthinking it trying to find the perfect plan when a "pretty good" plan will not likely noticeably affect your battery life at all.

I agree. I think this whole range thing is too much overhead. I saw a post here this morning, something like, "I quit worry about range and just drive. Worrying about range is like worry about how much gas is in the car".

I'm totally down with this now. It is what it is. There's enough superchargers here in CO, I'm giving up thinking about range. My only rule now , and it only applies to winter, is leave Denver @ 90%. This leaves more than enough charge to cover for traffic and conditions.

Reactions: Jedi2155