Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Given the most recent price cuts (April 19) what is the advantage of buying the Model Y LR instead of the SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got back from Tesla service center.

USCBucksfan is correct. The tech said that since the USS were removed Tesla relies on camera input exclusively, and that is why the wipers are always active. He said as the new camera programs are updated there may be a change allowing the wipers to turn off, but he doubts that will happen.

”Keep the ‘box’ where the front cameras are located meticulously clean.“ I cleaned them last night, but in the dark I apparently missed a small debris blob, enough to send a blurred image to the camera which interpreted the blob as rain, forcing the wipers on.

He suggests not using chemicals to clean the area, and a fiber towel afterward. On the drive home from the service center all was well.

That smells fishy. I don’t believe USS was the rain sensor. We have an M3 with USS and an M3 without USS and have seen no difference in the auto wipers which are working fine and not going crazy full on for no reason.

I went to the Van Ness location in SF today to test drive the new MY AWD (2023 manufactured in Austin, verified by VIN). Specifically, I wanted to see if the battery was LFP and it is *not* (confirmed by checking the settings/additional info). I am not sure why Tesla says you can charge this battery to 100% in daily use unless there’s something else about the 4860 that allows it.

I went to the Van Ness location in SF today to test drive the new MY AWD (2023 manufactured in Austin, verified by VIN). Specifically, I wanted to see if the battery was LFP and it is *not* (confirmed by checking the settings/additional info). I am not sure why Tesla says you can charge this battery to 100% in daily use unless there’s something else about the 4860 that allows it.
They don't say that. In fact, Tesla the company says you shouldn't on a regular basis. It has the same charging recommendations as the LR and P.

This is from the manual:

• For RWD vehicles: Tesla recommends you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and you regularly charge your vehicle to 100%. If Model Y has been parked for longer than a week, drive your vehicle as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.
  • For AWD vehicles: keep the full charge limit of the battery to under 90% for Daily use. If you need 100% of your battery for a long-distance trip, increase the limit for Trip as needed

Reactions: pipestem
They don't say that. In fact, Tesla the company says you shouldn't on a regular basis. It has the same charging recommendations as the LR and P.

This is from the manual:

• For RWD vehicles: Tesla recommends you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and you regularly charge your vehicle to 100%. If Model Y has been parked for longer than a week, drive your vehicle as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.
  • For AWD vehicles: keep the full charge limit of the battery to under 90% for Daily use. If you need 100% of your battery for a long-distance trip, increase the limit for Trip as needed
Multiple Tesla employees have told me (over the phone) that the Y should be charged to 100% in daily use...that doesn’t sound like good advice to me!