Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Given the most recent price cuts (April 19) what is the advantage of buying the Model Y LR instead of the SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These cars have been out for quite a long time now. Has nobody done a supercharging taper test all the way to 100%?
That was my question exactly. Would be very revealing. Although knowing Tesla is possible they could put in a fake taper to prevent knowledge about software cap. I don't think they want that out there if it is in fact the case.

Reactions: vickh
Answering my own question: this guy supercharged to 97% and was drawing 14kw.

This is not a software locked battery.

I owned a Model S 60 for two years before I unlocked it to a 75. A software locked car would still be drawing north of 30kw as it approaches 100%.

I know people desperately want to believe it’s locked and Tesla is hiding something from us, but it’s just not.

Reactions: tangible1
I don’t want to believe anything, nor I care, but can someone explain why the 4680 has full regen at 99.5% while other batteries have limited regen often all the way down to 95 or 93?
If someone can actually prove this I’d be interested. A single picture without substantiation or context isn’t cutting it for me.

FWIW my old Model S shows some available regen in the instrument cluster now at a real 100%, though it’s definitely not actually there. Sometimes the bars don’t show up in any real way until I actually TRY to regen. Blended braking on the new cars is another variable. Do cars with blended braking enabled even show regen limitation on the screen at all? Seems that would be confusing.

If someone can actually prove this I’d be interested. A single picture without substantiation or context isn’t cutting it for me.

FWIW my old Model S shows some available regen in the instrument cluster now at a real 100%, though it’s definitely not actually there. Sometimes the bars don’t show up in any real way until I actually TRY to regen. Blended braking on the new cars is another variable. Do cars with blended braking enabled even show regen limitation on the screen at all? Seems that would be confusing.
It’s a picture I took of my own car right after I unplugged a 100% charge, I was expecting limited regen, I saw no dots nor limited regen icon so I thought of taking a picture, how am I supposed to prove that what I saw and took a picture of is in fact what I saw and took a picture of? Do I need a public notary in the car with me?
And yes, I did experience full regen, no blended breaking, that’s why I took a picture, because I wasn’t expecting it.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc and vickh
the MY-AWD battery is NOT software limited.
Please review the Munro YT videos on the MY-AWD structural battery pack teardown.
they calculate the energy capacity of the pack and compare that to the Tesla stated specs.
it matches up to the claimed 279 mile range.

The MY-AWD structural battery pack is composed of 4680 batteries, which are NOT LFP chemistry.
consequently the charging protocol is the same as that for the MYLR, etc, NOT like the MY-RWD (SR).
the MY-AWD is NOT the same as the MY-RWD (SR).

you have been misled if you're thinking anything stated above isn't true.
I watch their breakdown and the laboratory tests on the battery and it generated about 73 kW and it's advertised at 67.5. it's a little more of a buffer than some of the other Teslas but generally in line.

If that is independently confirmed then that pretty much clinches that the battery pack in the base AWD model is software limited to its 279 Mi range. All the authoritative posters on this thread who are adamant that you cannot charge regularly past 90% without damaging the battery have not considered the strong possibility that the 4680 pack is software restricted to accessing its bottom 80% or so. If this is the case I wish Tesla would clarify that but I suspect that they don't want this information out there because of the Osborne effect. This of course means that at some point you can software unlock the extra range making the long range actually the less rangey version of the car. If this was publicly available information I suspect sales of the long range car might crater. Still bad practice not to disclose this if it's the case.

I had the same issue with my SR 3. I know it's software locked but no one will confirm top or bottom lock. Also get the 100% pop warning since TSLA won't program it differently

It’s a picture I took of my own car right after I unplugged a 100% charge, I was expecting limited regen, I saw no dots nor limited regen icon so I thought of taking a picture, how am I supposed to prove that what I saw and took a picture of is in fact what I saw and took a picture of? Do I need a public notary in the car with me?
And yes, I did experience full regen, no blended breaking, that’s why I took a picture, because I wasn’t expecting it.
Inward facing dashcam footage as a “witness”? 🤣

Reactions: DanielR26

This is some information deducting the size of the battery capacity wise for the 4680's would support that it is software limited.
internet clickbait hyperbole. especially at 'Torque News'
nothing more.
move on.

Last edited:
They stated the following "
Hi Daniel,

there is a lot of hype and bloggers that will guide you differently, however, Tesla recommends charging the RWD Model 3 and AWD Model Y up to 100% because these batteries show better performance charging to 100% and we recommend 90% for the long range and performance Models"

The MY AWD is Standard Range and different from the LR
if you have a MY-AWD yes it is different from the MYLR but it has 4680, not LFP, batteries like the SR models.
charging a MY-AWD to 100% is NOT RECOMMENDED except for road trip use. Just like the 2170 and 18650 batteries.

the MY-AWD also has the FRONT + REAR megacasts and structural battery pack; the MYLR only has only the REAR megacast.

like wise. I'm taking my hold off tonight or Mon.

Trying to get a June delivery for any late Q2 incentives. I plan on doing white +white
We when “basic” this time around. Only upgrade was the $1000 hitch. Definitely wanted the 19” wheels for comfort. Recall, I replaced the 21” Ubers on my MYP with 19”, back in 2021 - for the same reasons.

Does that makes handling better? (but repairs harder?)
the AWD chassis is a superior build vs the LR.
However, it's marginal gains.
The primary gain is to Tesla - it's faster and cheaper to manufacture. Which is a good thing.

As for handling....meh. You'll never tell the difference in any normal driving environment.
As for repairs....meh. The risk of 'unrepairable' is negligible.
The customer benefit of the F+R + structural battery pack is a chassis that's more structurally strong, and thus survivable in accidents.
It was supposed to be much lighter than the std build, but it's not.
While the std MYLR chassis is already very good, this just takes it up a notch.

Again, the primary benefit is to Tesla. Maybe at some point that gets passed on by lower MSRP.
4680 benefit? Remains a WiP - not yet realized, to either Tesla or the customer. Someday, yes. No yet though.

• Informative