Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Given the most recent price cuts (April 19) what is the advantage of buying the Model Y LR instead of the SR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We when “basic” this time around. Only upgrade was the $1000 hitch. Definitely wanted the 19” wheels for comfort. Recall, I replaced the 21” Ubers on my MYP with 19”, back in 2021 - for the same reasons.

We will do MYAWD white X2. Agree about stock wheels too. I want range and comfort over looks (practical)

Not sure if I want to do the hitch later and pay the $300 premium yet. Can they ranger install?

I had the same issue with my SR 3. I know it's software locked but no one will confirm top or bottom lock. Also get the 100% pop warning since TSLA won't program it differently
Like I mentioned I've talked to three different Tesla reps who all said 100% charging will not degrade the battery and then one manager who said we can't confirm that. I'm more in line with the belief that they don't want to remove value of the long range by giving us full ability on this battery setup but either way I think this will be a more rigid frame with the build design of the 4680 battery pack and it's a good way to go!

Reactions: vickh
Like I mentioned I've talked to three different Tesla reps who all said 100% charging will not degrade the battery and then one manager who said we can't confirm that. I'm more in line with the belief that they don't want to remove value of the long range by giving us full ability on this battery setup but either way I think this will be a more rigid frame with the build design of the 4680 battery pack and it's a good way to go!
both MYLR and MY-AWD are excellent vehicles, very well built, and the choice is just personal preference.

however, the charging metrics of the MY-AWD 4680 are the same as for the MYLR 2170 batteries.
Chemistry is essentially the same for each, and charging metrics are therefore very similar.

This will hold true until Tesla develops and introduces changes in cathode materials; there's lots of independent research underway now that market demand is realized.
But that's a generation away. What's in Tesla cars now is very good, and Tesla Battery Management Systems are very robust, so worries are negligible..

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and vickh
both MYLR and MY-AWD are excellent vehicles, very well built, and the choice is just personal preference.

however, the charging metrics of the MY-AWD 4680 are the same as for the MYLR 2170 batteries.
Chemistry is essentially the same for each, and charging metrics are therefore very similar.

This will hold true until Tesla develops and introduces changes in cathode materials; there's lots of independent research underway now that market demand is realized.
But that's a generation away. What's in Tesla cars now is very good, and Tesla Battery Management Systems are very robust, so worries are negligible..
Right.

To add to this, there have been countless "Tesla reps" that have told people that charging to 100% regularly is fine on 2170s. Most who work in "sales" know very little about the car. I was once told that the P variants had the same motors as the Plaid. Instead of arguing, I just said thanks and moved on.

In a bit over a week of ownership I've driven my Austin built Model Y AWD almost 700 miles on all kinds of roads, varying speeds, weather, etc.

Compared to my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD it clearly shows progress in all areas - Standard AutoPilot, interior noise levels, and features. The new comfort suspension is a big step up, IMO, but the ride quality/handling still leaves trails the many BMWs I've owned. Perhaps it's the weight from the battery pack, design or something else, but more work seems needed.

Still, I drove in heavy rain at highway speeds with the autopilot on without any issues at all over three different drives. That is one of the main reasons I purchased the car, and it's a key feature that I appreciate, especially so as a senior with night vision challenges. There are some "defects" in construction (slightly mis-aligned doors/hatch), but overall not enough of a problem to deter me from Tesla ownership. I tried to determine if the Austin build feels/is superior with the Giga Press, but I've not had enough time behind the wheel to form a final opinion.

I will say that compared to my friend's 2022 MY LR AWD, the interior noise if noticeably lower, the ride significantly improved, and the minor construction issues less visible and less frequent. Overall, whether it's the Giga Press, improved production techniques or something else, I find my 2023 SR AWD an outstanding bargain and I would buy it again, minor flaws included.

Just for fun I visited the local Toyota dealer and asked about the new Prius - a car many reviewers praise highly. Looking at the plug in version every dealer I visited locally wanted a sizable deposit, added at least $2,000 or unwanted extras (Window tint, door edge guards, nitrogen in tires, etc) and some stretched that to over $3,000. Wait times are 6+ months. And in the end, my Model Y is maybe 5% more expensive, if that, compared to the Prius. My April purchase price is $14,000 less than the January 2 price on the same car - an amazing and incredible bargain - one I couldn't refuse.

One thing that doesn't get enough press is Tesla's superior selling method. Unlike competitors Tesla doesn't load up a car with unneeded/unwanted add-ons that inflate the price significantly. You can try to bargain the add on costs down, but so far that hasn't worked, at least where I live. Dealers also add expensive "documentation" fees that Tesla largely avoids. Yes, there is a destination charge, but it's actually lower than several competitors, and a $250 "order fee" seems very reasonable compared to competitor doc fees now approaching $900/car locally.

I'll put up with whatever shortcomings the Tesla has for a car that so far is averaging almost 4 miles/KWh, feels great on smooth roads, and very acceptable on poorer quality streets, provides autopilot on almost any road I drive, has an unbeatable charging network, and continues to provide free over the air updates with new features on a regular basis.

Yes, Tesla isn't perfect, service work/turnaround times need to improve further, and by now the build quality should be better, but despite all of that I can't find a better overall EV package at anywhere near the price. As far as I'm concerned the brand has come a long way, and I, for one, am a happy camper with my new ride.

Despite possible reservations about some stances/opinions Elon may take, I believe that he has largely accomplished what he set out to do - provide a realistic alternative to ICE vehicles, and apply continuous improvement to all phases of the business, even if they arrive at uneven intervals and with some understandable growing pains.

BRAVO!

Great review. I agree even if you see TSLA's shortcomings their car sales model is the future (that's why NADA is fighting it tooth and nail.

I took the plunge w/ AWD+Hitch+All white

They should offer air suspension as an option. I'm hoping different tires can help (they didn't with my 3 w/ Pirelli Zero Elects)

Last edited:
I think you've hit the nail right on the head with just the right emphases on the big picture. We took delivery in February of a long-range Model 3 one of the last of the old 2170 Panasonic 358 mile range variety. It was assembled tight as a drum - quite an upgrade from our third quarter 2018 performance model 3s which were okay but definitely did not have the same build quality.

Reactions: jebinc
Just for fun I visited the local Toyota dealer and asked about the new Prius - a car many reviewers praise highly. Looking at the plug in version every dealer I visited locally wanted a sizable deposit, added at least $2,000 or unwanted extras (Window tint, door edge guards, nitrogen in tires, etc) and some stretched that to over $3,000. Wait times are 6+ months. And in the end, my Model Y is maybe 5% more expensive, if that, compared to the Prius. My April purchase price is $14,000 less than the January 2 price on the same car - an amazing and incredible bargain - one I couldn't refuse.

One thing that doesn't get enough press is Tesla's superior selling method. Unlike competitors Tesla doesn't load up a car with unneeded/unwanted add-ons that inflate the price significantly. You can try to bargain the add on costs down, but so far that hasn't worked, at least where I live.

BRAVO!

Funny I've been doing this shopping while I wait for my MYAWD, NOTHING comes close to the price for new and plug in. Even if it the MSRP is close you get the BS dealer add ons. Usually I can bargain the add on costs down, but not with the low inventory of these options.

Now if I want to go used there are few options in the low $40Ks but with no tax credit

In a bit over a week of ownership I've driven my Austin built Model Y AWD almost 700 miles on all kinds of roads, varying speeds, weather, etc.

Compared to my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD it clearly shows progress in all areas - Standard AutoPilot, interior noise levels, and features. The new comfort suspension is a big step up, IMO, but the ride quality/handling still leaves trails the many BMWs I've owned. Perhaps it's the weight from the battery pack, design or something else, but more work seems needed.

Still, I drove in heavy rain at highway speeds with the autopilot on without any issues at all over three different drives. That is one of the main reasons I purchased the car, and it's a key feature that I appreciate, especially so as a senior with night vision challenges. There are some "defects" in construction (slightly mis-aligned doors/hatch), but overall not enough of a problem to deter me from Tesla ownership. I tried to determine if the Austin build feels/is superior with the Giga Press, but I've not had enough time behind the wheel to form a final opinion.

I will say that compared to my friend's 2022 MY LR AWD, the interior noise if noticeably lower, the ride significantly improved, and the minor construction issues less visible and less frequent. Overall, whether it's the Giga Press, improved production techniques or something else, I find my 2023 SR AWD an outstanding bargain and I would buy it again, minor flaws included.

One thing that doesn't get enough press is Tesla's superior selling method. Unlike competitors Tesla doesn't load up a car with unneeded/unwanted add-ons that inflate the price significantly. You can try to bargain the add on costs down, but so far that hasn't worked, at least where I live. Dealers also add expensive "documentation" fees that Tesla largely avoids. Yes, there is a destination charge, but it's actually lower than several competitors, and a $250 "order fee" seems very reasonable compared to competitor doc fees now approaching $900/car locally.

I'll put up with whatever shortcomings the Tesla has for a car that so far is averaging almost 4 miles/KWh, feels great on smooth roads, and very acceptable on poorer quality streets, provides autopilot on almost any road I drive, has an unbeatable charging network, and continues to provide free over the air updates with new features on a regular basis.

Yes, Tesla isn't perfect, service work/turnaround times need to improve further, and by now the build quality should be better, but despite all of that I can't find a better overall EV package at anywhere near the price. As far as I'm concerned the brand has come a long way, and I, for one, am a happy camper with my new ride.

Despite possible reservations about some stances/opinions Elon may take, I believe that he has largely accomplished what he set out to do - provide a realistic alternative to ICE vehicles, and apply continuous improvement to all phases of the business, even if they arrive at uneven intervals and with some understandable growing pains.

BRAVO!
I don’t understand why anyone would buy a Prius(unless it was priced at 20k or less). It’s such an inferior car compared to the Model 3 and Model Y. Prius is like a cheap Chinese made product when it comes to driving dynamics in comparison to Tesla

I don’t understand why anyone would buy a Prius(unless it was priced at 20k or less). It’s such an inferior car compared to the Model 3 and Model Y. Prius is like a cheap Chinese made product when it comes to driving dynamics in comparison to Tesla

yes RAV4 Prime maybe, but they're a unicorn around AZ AND dealers want $50K++

BRAVO!
great analysis ....whats the real-world range of your AWD?

Reactions: beewang and vickh
My real life efficiency, based on 10 days of ownership and just over 1,000 miles of driving, is 253 watts/kilometer: 3.92 miles/KWh. I'm not sure what the actual usable capacity of the 4680 battery pack is, so I can't confirm real world range. A back of the envelope calculation suggests it's pretty close to the claimed 279 miles. Much of that driving was interstate speeds of 65-75, along with several hundred miles of city stop and go driving. The city driving was about 225 watts/kilometer: 4.44 miles/KWh. I didn't use HVAC during much of the city driving as the weather was relatively cool.

Disturbingly, I just got home a few minutes ago after a 350 mile driving day, including 2 SuperCharger stops. Unfortunately it seems I found an unwelcome glitch. While in standard autodrive, the windshield wiper turned on at low speed and couldn't be turned off unless I cancelled the autodrive feature entirely. That really annoyed me. I deliberately planned to drive home late after visiting family across the state. The ride home started before sunset and finished several hours past sunset. The autopilot had worked normally during daylight hours, but did occasionally glitch and gave a single swipe of the wiper before turning off. The ride home was different. The wiper came on and stayed on. It's not possible to turn it off - the area is greyed out and if you try to force it off it reverts to the auto setting. The net result is that I was forced to keep the wipers on for the entire ride home - 3+ hours, or turn it off and have to deal with traffic and trucks all the way home. That's why I bought the Tesla - to NOT have to drive unassisted. I tried to send a bug report, but it didn't work. The maps also glitched, with large areas grey and no detail. I reset as I drove, but no luck. Same problems continued. I also noticed that a pending new software update appeared, but it seemed to indicate that the download was for Full Self Driving. I never ordered that, and have no intention of doing so. The car had been great until this 3 hour nightmare trip back home. I tried to schedule service in the app, but I'm not sure if it worked. I disabled the wifi because I don't want to be charged for Full Self Drive if something glitched and created a phantom order.

Right now I'm a bit angry (more than a bit), but I'll try to resolve it tomorrow. It's likely not a big deal, but the sudden loss of function and other simultaneous glitched is frustrating, especially so when I was expecting a comfortable low stress journey home after a long day. Over the last 2 days I've driven over 600 miles, and was surprised by the problems after a mostly problem free ownership experience until now.

Reactions: jebinc
My real life efficiency, based on 10 days of ownership and just over 1,000 miles of driving, is 253 watts/kilometer: 3.92 miles/KWh. I'm not sure what the actual usable capacity of the 4680 battery pack is, so I can't confirm real world range. A back of the envelope calculation suggests it's pretty close to the claimed 279 miles. Much of that driving was interstate speeds of 65-75, along with several hundred miles of city stop and go driving. The city driving was about 225 watts/kilometer: 4.44 miles/KWh. I didn't use HVAC during much of the city driving as the weather was relatively cool.

Disturbingly, I just got home a few minutes ago after a 350 mile driving day, including 2 SuperCharger stops. Unfortunately it seems I found an unwelcome glitch. While in standard autodrive, the windshield wiper turned on at low speed and couldn't be turned off unless I cancelled the autodrive feature entirely. That really annoyed me. I deliberately planned to drive home late after visiting family across the state. The ride home started before sunset and finished several hours past sunset. The autopilot had worked normally during daylight hours, but did occasionally glitch and gave a single swipe of the wiper before turning off. The ride home was different. The wiper came on and stayed on. It's not possible to turn it off - the area is greyed out and if you try to force it off it reverts to the auto setting. The net result is that I was forced to keep the wipers on for the entire ride home - 3+ hours, or turn it off and have to deal with traffic and trucks all the way home. That's why I bought the Tesla - to NOT have to drive unassisted. I tried to send a bug report, but it didn't work. The maps also glitched, with large areas grey and no detail. I reset as I drove, but no luck. Same problems continued. I also noticed that a pending new software update appeared, but it seemed to indicate that the download was for Full Self Driving. I never ordered that, and have no intention of doing so. The car had been great until this 3 hour nightmare trip back home. I tried to schedule service in the app, but I'm not sure if it worked. I disabled the wifi because I don't want to be charged for Full Self Drive if something glitched and created a phantom order.

Right now I'm a bit angry (more than a bit), but I'll try to resolve it tomorrow. It's likely not a big deal, but the sudden loss of function and other simultaneous glitched is frustrating, especially so when I was expecting a comfortable low stress journey home after a long day. Over the last 2 days I've driven over 600 miles, and was surprised by the problems after a mostly problem free ownership experience until now.
Did you think to do a system reset? That is pushing down the two scroll wheels and pressing the brake pedal down. Obviously you have to be pulled over to do that. It fixes a whole lot of problems

I did a two button reset on the way home after the wiper glitch started, but it had no effect. Same problems. You can actually reset while driving - there are many safeguards to ensure the car still functions. It’s like airplane redundant systems. I reset while driving, and I did the same in my model 3 several years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and jebinc
I did a two button reset on the way home after the wiper glitch started, but it had no effect. Same problems. You can actually reset while driving - there are many safeguards to ensure the car still functions. It’s like airplane redundant systems. I reset while driving, and I did the same in my model 3 several years ago.
It's probably not a glitch. The window in front of your camera could either be dirty, you used wax on it, or a product lime rainx.

The wiper turns on with AP because it needs to see clearly

Last edited:
Just got back from Tesla service center.

USCBucksfan is correct. The tech said that since the USS were removed Tesla relies on camera input exclusively, and that is why the wipers are always active. He said as the new camera programs are updated there may be a change allowing the wipers to turn off, but he doubts that will happen.

”Keep the ‘box’ where the front cameras are located meticulously clean.“ I cleaned them last night, but in the dark I apparently missed a small debris blob, enough to send a blurred image to the camera which interpreted the blob as rain, forcing the wipers on.

He suggests not using chemicals to clean the area, and a fiber towel afterward. On the drive home from the service center all was well.

My bad as well on the FSD download. I didn’t realize that you can pull up the specs on individual components installed in the car. My 2018 Model 3 wasn’t as transparent. The readout merely meant that my car is FSD capable, the pending Software update is a routine bug fix. I’m installing it now.

Map resets and missing data are cellular reception issues, not software/hardware. I realize looking back to last night several areas had weak cell signals, dropping 5G on my phone and relying on LTE service.

He did find several charging faults, and asked me to let him know if they recur. My car charged from 15-80% overnight, as I set it to do, but it did take some time to connect before charging. My home charger is a Clipper Creek 40 amp J1772 unit which was a well known product when I installed it in 2014 to power my Nissan Leaf. It has worked on the Leaf, 2 BMW i3s, the Model 3, Chevy Bolt EUV (another great value), and now the Model Y. He speculates that my Tesla J1722 to Tesla adapter may not have been connected fully, leading to intermittent warnings. He emphasized that if the connection was dangerous the Tesla wouldn’t charge at all.

Overall, A+ to the service team, especially Drew who patiently explained every detail and made sure I understood it fully.

I’ve made peace with “Sparky”, chalking up last night‘s mishaps to user error, tiredness and lack of knowledge. It was kind of like a bad date night with your wife - it didn’t go as planned, but that’s no reason for a divorce (says the man who has been married 50+ years).

I’ll revisit everything when the new software finishes updating over the next few days. I’ve driven nearly 1,100 miles in the 10+ days I’ve owned the car. And I’d buy it again, even with last night‘s frustrations.

Last edited: