Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red fluid leak under front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
I just noticed this morning a small puddle of redish colored oily fluid leaking from the underside cover between the front wheels. And of course, it is Sunday before xmas, service center is closed. Any ideas what it might be?

Has varied a little over the years, at times it has been something like 12k miles then 500k, other times I think just 500k.
With no clutches and no traditional ring and pinion that has massive loads from changing rotation angle I think the fluid has a relatively easy life compared to most applications.

Did you happen to wash the car or drive through a lot of puddles? When I first did this on my X there were browish-red puddles in my garage. I believe this was some excess aluminum sealant that was sprayed on. I used to use something like this on a plane, and every time I flew in the rain it dripped for a while before settling down

Did you happen to wash the car or drive through a lot of puddles? When I first did this on my X there were browish-red puddles in my garage. I believe this was some excess aluminum sealant that was sprayed on. I used to use something like this on a plane, and every time I flew in the rain it dripped for a while before settling down

No, my X is three years old. And I could see the stain the dripping was leaving on the plastic undercarriage protector. Anyways, my X is at the shop right now and I've got a loaner. Will report back when I hear something.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and X Fan
Sure enough, it was a gearbox oil leak:

Customer states found red fluid dripping underneath car on Sunday. Reddish fluid dripping from middle to front underneath car. Car was towed in.
Technicians inspected vehicle and found the drivers side axle seal leaking. Technicians removed and replaced the axle seal. After repairs, verified vehicle operating as designed and concern has been rectified.
Correction: Front Gearbox Fluid

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy