Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red not the best color for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having seen all the colors my personal preferences are black (at least when clean) and midnight silver, with perhaps white being the best looking (but a white car is not for me for whatever reason).

I hear a lot of people knocking black as impossible to keep clean and looking good. Having never owned a black car and living in the Northeast, how true is that?

Assume I’m not a fanatic about clean cars (probably only get mine washed 5-6 times a year and not really at all during the messy winter months). Would midnight silver be significantly better looking when rarely cleaned to someone who isn’t overly focused on exterior car cleanliness (but doesn’t want a car that’ll look horrible either)?

My one-of-a-kind color, not available from Tesla.
IMG_2349.jpg

Thanks Carnook.

Please tell me why.

I am not a Ph.D. in the psychology of perception, but close.

I ask because I've not considered why the shape of a car would be a factor in what its best color would be.

Why does Model X in black not look best?

Why does Model S in white or red look best?

Is there an objective, empirically-based answer?
Is there an objective, empirically-based answer why anyone buying an expensive new car needs input from a message board? There is another current thread with a poll asking if the person should but a BMW or Merc instead of a Tesla.

I personally love Model 3's in red. Red absolutely pops in the sun! Even at night the street lights highlight the metallic and the paint has a very dynamic feel. Changes with every angle. On the Model 3 the trim/accents can change the look of the car quite a bit. I think even more so than a Model S/X because it's a smaller package. A red Model 3 with black wheels and trim has a much more aggressive look than the way it leaves the factory. But the factory silver has a little more luxurious appearance. Just depends on the owner to make the car reflect their taste.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
Is there an objective, empirically-based answer why anyone buying an expensive new car needs input from a message board? There is another current thread with a poll asking if the person should but a BMW or Merc instead of a Tesla.
No objective answers here!
For many people, moving to an all-electric car is a scary thing, and being able to share info with those who are already there is a comfort.

I'm also going with Red. But it's definitely on the 'splashier' side. Makes a statement. I didn't really think too much about that until I told my wife and she thought it may bring too much attention. But if you're getting an early M3, then people are going to stare in any case.

After looking at the choices, we both agree that it's one of the best choices.

Having seen all the colors my personal preferences are black (at least when clean) and midnight silver, with perhaps white being the best looking (but a white car is not for me for whatever reason).

I hear a lot of people knocking black as impossible to keep clean and looking good. Having never owned a black car and living in the Northeast, how true is that?

Assume I’m not a fanatic about clean cars (probably only get mine washed 5-6 times a year and not really at all during the messy winter months). Would midnight silver be significantly better looking when rarely cleaned to someone who isn’t overly focused on exterior car cleanliness (but doesn’t want a car that’ll look horrible either)?

I've owned a black car for 9+ years now. It gets dirty quickly and imperfections/nicks and dings are glaringly obvious as soon as they show up. Looks really great when it's clean but man I hate the dirty look after it rains and can't get to a car wash quickly enough. A couple of years ago I ended up getting it repainted because it just looked awful.

It might sound counterintuitive but it's true. Black looks sleek when.clean, but it is the hardest color to maintain.

I'm getting my 3 in red.

• Informative
Today we picked up a Model 3 for my daughter, at the Marina Del Ray Distribution Center. In Pearl White. What a beautiful car. Welcome to the 21st Century!

My wife observed that red did not look as good on a Model 3 as on the Model S.

I'd never thought about that, but I tend to agree.

Thoughts?

Red is definitely the hottest color for the Model S.

I'm not recalling any Model X's in red---
Car colors, like music and women are beautiful in the eyes of the beholders, or ears. To me, black looks the best on all Teslas. It's totally subjective and not really worth discussing. Like trying to argue why you should love that electro pop song that irritates the crap out of you.

I've owned a black car for 9+ years now. It gets dirty quickly and imperfections/nicks and dings are glaringly obvious as soon as they show up. Looks really great when it's clean but man I hate the dirty look after it rains and can't get to a car wash quickly enough. A couple of years ago I ended up getting it repainted because it just looked awful.

It might sound counterintuitive but it's true. Black looks sleek when.clean, but it is the hardest color to maintain.

I'm getting my 3 in red.
I think black cars look good dirty. I'm not sure what all of the fuss is about.

I'm getting my 3 in red.
All right so no black.

Silver is great but I have been driving a Model S90D in silver for 2 years and am up for a change.

How about that blue? That is some blue.

I'm looking for a low-maintenance color, so maybe the midnight gray (silver?) is what I want.

Oh wait Electoma. You said that dirty black cars look good. I had to think about that a moment or two.

All right I'm back in considering black. I've never had a black car.

And midnight gray. Maybe blue. Blue does not look good dirty, like black does, right?

We already have a red S.

Last edited: