Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RED, Performance delivered - panel issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
My car was delivered at lunch time today. The delivery guy was just getting his Uber when I walked around looking for anything disastrous..
I was too excited so didn't really register stuff until after he left.
I also hadn't figured out I had to 'accept delivery' on my Tesla Account page before the app would let me unlock the car...
I let the sun bake it a bit (and any COVID-19 virus) before I got in. I also wiped down all the touchable surfaces with Dawn soap.
This is first time I have driven Tesla and it was fun and fast. Only went round the block. Okay here's the issues so far (and I will do proper checklist tomorrow - was working today)
  1. Hood panel misalignment - closer to one side and sticking up near windshield (photo)
  2. Quarter panel on one side bad sticking out (photo comparison)
  3. Right hand side Rear seat misaligned - as others (sticking on fold down button too)
  4. Tail light panels sticking out one side - sticking in other.
  5. Seals on main roof glass look a little odd on front (will check more)
So... the only really bad thing is front right hand side quarter panel - that looks hardest to fix. The hood needs better alignment but maybe that's easier. Not sure about rear light panels and seats.

Will follow up with checklist over weekend and more photos.

I do love the color...
20200327_191317.jpg
20200327_191118.jpg
20200327_191043.jpg
20200327_183843.jpg

Reactions: E Dizzle
@EVJonP congrats, car looks stunning, especially in the sun!

That panel sticking out in the passenger side fender- many Model 3's including mine have this issue (VIN 184xx), but it's uniform on both sides of the car and I almost brought it up during delivery but the Model 3 right next to mine was identical- I've continued to see this on other Model 3's but seems to have been fixed on recent ones. Bring it up to service, but don't try too hard to exert pressure on it as that metal can permanently bend and can even crack paint or chip paint between fender and bumper.

Reactions: EVJonP
@EVJonP Did you get the tire repair kit with yours? Just got mine as well and only the charger kit was in the trunk...some people are saying they are kitting a repair kit as well.

I read (somewhere) that the tire repair kit is a requirement in certain states.

Edited to add:

Found it -- in the Tesla Prep checklist:

Maryland deliveries should include Tesla's official inflation kit.

Hi everyone,
My car was delivered at lunch time today. The delivery guy was just getting his Uber when I walked around looking for anything disastrous..
I was too excited so didn't really register stuff until after he left.
I also hadn't figured out I had to 'accept delivery' on my Tesla Account page before the app would let me unlock the car...
I let the sun bake it a bit (and any COVID-19 virus) before I got in. I also wiped down all the touchable surfaces with Dawn soap.
This is first time I have driven Tesla and it was fun and fast. Only went round the block. Okay here's the issues so far (and I will do proper checklist tomorrow - was working today)
  1. Hood panel misalignment - closer to one side and sticking up near windshield (photo)
  2. Quarter panel on one side bad sticking out (photo comparison)
  3. Right hand side Rear seat misaligned - as others (sticking on fold down button too)
  4. Tail light panels sticking out one side - sticking in other.
  5. Seals on main roof glass look a little odd on front (will check more)
So... the only really bad thing is front right hand side quarter panel - that looks hardest to fix. The hood needs better alignment but maybe that's easier. Not sure about rear light panels and seats.

Will follow up with checklist over weekend and more photos.

I do love the color...View attachment 526642 View attachment 526643 View attachment 526644 View attachment 526645

Omgoodness that is a gorgeous car. I can’t wait for mine

Reactions: EVJonP
Here's some more pics of rear light panels and seats.

I think this maybe more misalignment of trunk then actual light panels right? What do others think?View attachment 527504 View attachment 527506 View attachment 527507 View attachment 527508

my taillights are exactly the same, I also have multiple panel misalignments. The more I start at them, the more I notice. I scheduled a mobile appointment before I hit 100 miles so hopefully they can fix it. I spent 70k so I don't feel like I am being picky.

I spent 70k so I don't feel like I am being picky
Me too +7K for FSD...

So they scheduled a mobile service when I uploaded photos but then a couple of hours later they said having reviewed photos this was a job for the service center so I am booked in there on April 7th.
My wife will come along in other car so I can get a ride home without using a loaner or Uber... minimize virus threat

I changed my order to red from white just because looking at all the photos, the red/black contrast is gorgeous. I'm glad you're getting it fixed, all of that is definitely able to be aligned/repaired.

The rear seat thing has been on I think every single photo I've seen. Maybe I just look at too many photos of QA issues...

Is it me or does it seem like mostly the Red model Ys are having fit and finish issues? All the photos/videos of reds have had quality issues so far on this forum. I have a red on order and this my concern or heightened scrutiny on reds

I am 220 miles away from the Tesla SC going there is always painful, the plastic stuff will be fixed with mobile service next week and for the paint issues I need to go to a local collision repair shop who works with Tesla. this is my 3rd Tesla purchase in the last 18month and I thought I've seen it all, but unfortunately I was wrong. There are more paint issues which need to be fixed as well as the left rear wheel which has some damage from strapping the car to the delivery truck. Otherwise the car looks awesome!
Model Y.jpg

Reactions: E Dizzle