Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red T and Letters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my 2023 X Long Range. Having PPF and ceramic coating. Would like to make the T badges red and the TESLA letters on the rear red as well. Really don't want to have to remove them, have seen some vinyl stick ons, but can't determine if they will work for the X refresh. Anyone have any experience, referrals? Thanks.

Just got my 2023 X Long Range. Having PPF and ceramic coating. Would like to make the T badges red and the TESLA letters on the rear red as well. Really don't want to have to remove them, have seen some vinyl stick ons, but can't determine if they will work for the X refresh. Anyone have any experience, referrals? Thanks.
Thanks. I'm no Picasso, my painting would probably look like a Salvador Dali!!

The wrap guys painted mine, yellow for front, black in the back. Only issue is the large part (lower) rear logo came loose. I captured it, the wrap shop will fix it, NP. But waiting for an unrelated ordered item to come in.

The wrap guys painted mine, yellow for front, black in the back. Only issue is the large part (lower) rear logo came loose. I captured it, the wrap shop will fix it, NP. But waiting for an unrelated ordered item to come in.
Thanks. Wrap shop (5 Star Auto Boutique, Las Vegas) doesn't do paint. But if I can find the decals they will put on before ceramic coating.

Went through almost the exact same thing as you, got a refresh S and wanted to change the T and letters. Also have PPF and ceramic. Tried the vinyl stickers, but didn't like the way it looked.

I have zero painting skills as well. As others have mentioned, plastic-dip works really good. I did it myself in about 2 hours.
It's totally something you can do on your own if you don't want to bring it somewhere and pay someone. I had reservations about it, but it was not difficult at all

If you decide to DIY, some things to look out for...
-Apply MANY coats, don't skimp out. Plastic-dip is not that expensive, maybe $20 a bottle, I needed less than 1. You tube recommends 6-7 coats. I did 10-12. Allow about 10 mins in between coats to dry. After final coat, give it an hour to dry before you start peeling off.
-Spray from multiple angles. The letters especially have sharp angles that face different directions. Spray a little from underneath, from the top, left, right, ect.
-Make sure to leave a border of plastic-dip around the logo and letters. This will allow you to grab it like a piece of paper and as you slowly pull, it will almost magically cut itself, leaving behind the stuff you want covered.
-You don't have to be paranoid about staining the car paint/PPF. Any overspray wipes off with a microfiber towel. The stuff is more like spray-on-rubber rather than spray-paint.
-Make sure to be in a well ventilated area. If you can, best to use a respirator mask, but not a requirement.

Here's a link to video of one of the founders (I think) of plast--dip), he breaks it all down very well, if you need a step by step.

Pictures below of how it came out for me.
The 'S' in the Tesla letters had some imperfections. I re-did that part of it and now it is perfect.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.10.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.10.32 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 151
  • Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.11.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.11.07 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.11.50 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.11.50 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.12.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.12.32 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.13.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.13.04 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.13.29 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 12.13.29 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
Reactions: Genie
Went through almost the exact same thing as you, got a refresh S and wanted to change the T and letters. Also have PPF and ceramic. Tried the vinyl stickers, but didn't like the way it looked.

I have zero painting skills as well. As others have mentioned, plastic-dip works really good. I did it myself in about 2 hours.
It's totally something you can do on your own if you don't want to bring it somewhere and pay someone. I had reservations about it, but it was not difficult at all

If you decide to DIY, some things to look out for...
-Apply MANY coats, don't skimp out. Plastic-dip is not that expensive, maybe $20 a bottle, I needed less than 1. You tube recommends 6-7 coats. I did 10-12. Allow about 10 mins in between coats to dry. After final coat, give it an hour to dry before you start peeling off.
-Spray from multiple angles. The letters especially have sharp angles that face different directions. Spray a little from underneath, from the top, left, right, ect.
-Make sure to leave a border of plastic-dip around the logo and letters. This will allow you to grab it like a piece of paper and as you slowly pull, it will almost magically cut itself, leaving behind the stuff you want covered.
-You don't have to be paranoid about staining the car paint/PPF. Any overspray wipes off with a microfiber towel. The stuff is more like spray-on-rubber rather than spray-paint.
-Make sure to be in a well ventilated area. If you can, best to use a respirator mask, but not a requirement.

Here's a link to video of one of the founders (I think) of plast--dip), he breaks it all down very well, if you need a step by step.

Pictures below of how it came out for me.
The 'S' in the Tesla letters had some imperfections. I re-did that part of it and now it is perfect.
Plastidip really is pretty amazing stuff.

Reactions: KITT 2.0