Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing noise and keeping the door sills clean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@M3 2018 good luck with Tesla....what repairs are they actually doing, do you know? I've been following noise reduction threads and it seems to me that Noico in the trunk and doors has minimal impact. The door seals as reported by the OP seem to be the best option followed by the RPM wind seal. I did test a 1.6 dB decrease from the RPM seal (concrete freeway at 74mph), but I need to replicate it a few times and take an average to be sure.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
Holding up extremely well!! Actually, the doors now close extremely well. There's more "thump" in the close and with all the crazy rain we had the door sills are in pretty good shape. Water still gets in and out of there but it's 100 times less dirty. I drover over 1,000 miles and have been through some serious rain storms and flooded roads. (Drove to/from San Diego/Las Vegas in downpours.)

Hey Brad, how are the door seals after living with them for a few weeks? Any water issues after the rains? How about creaking or squeaking? I bought the seals and am going to give it a shot.

Someone else (M3 2018?) was going to take some sound measurements before and after....wondering if that person has done that yet?

• Love
Reactions: SCW-Greg and Dre78
Thanks Brad for all your efforts, much appreciated.
We like hearing that the doors close better with a thump and there is less dirt.

The bigger overall question is whether it quiets cabin noise overall? If you have already shared, maybe I missed it. Would you be willing to give your honest opinion:

What is the overall impact on cabin noise on the highway with the outer seals?

Holding up extremely well!! Actually, the doors now close extremely well. There's more "thump" in the close and with all the crazy rain we had the door sills are in pretty good shape. Water still gets in and out of there but it's 100 times less dirty. I drover over 1,000 miles and have been through some serious rain storms and flooded roads. (Drove to/from San Diego/Las Vegas in downpours.)

Noise? Yes, it definitely helps. I want more noise reduction though. Not sure what to try next. There's a lot of glass, so I'm thinking there's a limit to what we can accomplish unless we can somehow replace with thicker glass.

Thanks Brad for all your efforts, much appreciated.
We like hearing that the doors close better with a thump and there is less dirt.

The bigger overall question is whether it quiets cabin noise overall? If you have already shared, maybe I missed it. Would you be willing to give your honest opinion:

What is the overall impact on cabin noise on the highway with the outer seals?

My Model 3 is currently in the shop right now. Fit & finish items going on 11 months, but that's another story.

I did not want to modify my Model 3 without giving Tesla another chance to address roadnoise and ride comfort feedback from many customers including myself. They will not perform any mods to the car (no seals, sound dampening); no surprise there.

What sorta surprises me is the lack of a comfort turned suspension options for customers that don't void Tesla warranties. Also, not offering to do anything about obvious HW roadnoise issues. This car is too loud at 70 mph on the freeway with the tires on an uneven pavement. I think the Model 3 has to be in the top 5 loudest $55-60k car you can buy on the highway; sounds almost like a honda civic on the freeway to me.

Granted with all that being said, this car is still the best product I have ever owned. We are all just trying to make Tesla and the Model 3 even better.

When I get the car back next week, I'll re-look at 1) Roof RPM seal 2) Door seals and then 3) Nicoing the front doors. I think I'll test dbs on i90 using my phone before and after each of the 3 items.

Before I start #2, ideally someone whos tried the seals could tell us it's worth doing NO questions asked. Can anyone say that?

I have now done all the above. Each one made some difference. Here is my opinion (I didnt do any dB measurements) in order of the most effective to the least.

Noico on all doors
Window tint
Tesla front sun shade
RPM Tesla wind kit
Foam in trunk shelf opening
Noico in frunk/trunk
Door seals (made doors harder to close)

• Informative
Reactions: bradhs
Hi All,

Thanks to Chuckie and Brad for their efforts and for sharing their findings with fellow owners.

Anyone in the Seattle area want to do the door seals and door noicoing? If so PM me.
It would be far more productive and fun to do this with a fellow Model 3 owner.

Interesting that Chuckie thinks the door seals help with noise the least of the items on his list. Wondering if we should skip door seals if it makes it harder to close the doors. Do you still recommend the outer seals? Would you do it over again? Do you think you can successfully uninstall them? Was it worth it?

I have window tint, I have the front sun shade. I need to install RPM wind kit, doors seals and door noicoing.

Thanks!

@M3 2018, I agree discouraging report on door seals. The original impression I had from OP was that they made a significant difference, but I may have been drawing false conclusions from the dB's reported as those may be at slower speed than my tests.

I think the seals could block more noise if u put them closer to the door edge to make a tighter seal. This issue is that it’s a very fine balance between a tight seal and a door that must be slammed really hard to close properly. I have been continually making adjustments especially on the rear doors for a couple of weeks now. With my kids and even other adults who get into my car for the first time, I now have to check each door before leaving. If I can’t find a proper fit, I may just remove the top part of the seal. I think the lower part does not affect the door closing.

I was just wondering if a cheesy test of the two would be to just put your phone in front of a noise source and record it...then encase it in mlv and record it...and then do the same with thinsulate. I struggle to think the thinsulate would outdo mlv since the latter is so thick and solid, but who knows? Heck, cover you ear with two pieces while listening to a recording of road noise and see if one blocks better than the other!

If I had to take a guess, I would expect the MLV to have the most impact.

Noise? Yes, it definitely helps. I want more noise reduction though. Not sure what to try next. There's a lot of glass, so I'm thinking there's a limit to what we can accomplish unless we can somehow replace with thicker glass.

Hi Brad,

To me, since most of the highway noise is from the tires and road, have you tried or considered sound proofing the wheel walls using dense material like the video below?

Do you think it is a good idea?

That may help. I haven't tried anything that extensive yet. I think any further noise reduction is going to have to come from improvements to the glass area. (Which I have no idea how to improve short of thicker glass.)

Hi Brad,

To me, since most of the highway noise is from the tires and road, have you tried or considered sound proofing the wheel walls using dense material like the video below?

I'm sure it goes without saying that this should not be required for any new car, let alone one at this price point. But I suppose the real question would be, what is Tesla's official response? And is the level of noise folks are hearing considered "normal?"

I'm wondering if it's just a larger scale build issue or if some folks have a higher bar set for expectations. I've been in a RWD Model 3 and the level of tire/road/wind noise appeared to be fairly average. But that was a short drive and just one vehicle. When comparing to other vehicles, engine noise is only going to drown out so much. Especially when cruising on the highway.

In either case, hopefully everybody is bringing this up to Telsa directly before making modifications. Both the dealer and contacting their corporate offices directly. It will be harder to make them fix the issue (if there is one) if folks just provide their own patches and fixes.

I think the noise level is acceptable for a car of this class. I'm used to higher end vehicles where the noise level is much lower. I'm trying to get to 750 status. Also, I think I should mention that the Model 3 is as quiet as our 750 until you get over 65 MPH. That's when the tide turns and is my personal objective to reduce. Reduce the noise at 65+ MPH.

I'm sure it goes without saying that this should not be required for any new car, let alone one at this price point. But I suppose the real question would be, what is Tesla's official response? And is the level of noise folks are hearing considered "normal?"

I'm wondering if it's just a larger scale build issue or if some folks have a higher bar set for expectations. I've been in a RWD Model 3 and the level of tire/road/wind noise appeared to be fairly average. But that was a short drive and just one vehicle. When comparing to other vehicles, engine noise is only going to drown out so much. Especially when cruising on the highway.

In either case, hopefully everybody is bringing this up to Telsa directly before making modifications. Both the dealer and contacting their corporate offices directly. It will be harder to make them fix the issue (if there is one) if folks just provide their own patches and fixes.

Curious what's the scoop on these?

I bought the front and the back. I didn't notice any difference in the dB measurements that I made with the sunshades installed. However, subjectively the sound seems a bit less sharp in some way. The front fits fine but not that impressed with the rear. It sags a bit, has some wrinkles, and depending on the angle of the sun the visibility out of the rear is compromised. Looking through the front sunshade gives a weird geometric effect and I kind of missed the view out of the front sunroof. I took them out.

Hi Brad,

There are some threads where people have put Dynamat in the wheel wells and they didn't seem to indicate there was much change in the noise. Not sure how Dynamat compares to the material in this video though.

hmm interesting...perhaps just cover a home speaker with each of the materials and test the dB on each. I use dB meter on my iPhone...they have a free version. The model X has thick foam on the floor.
I don't think this is a good test at all. If you want to block noise just use closed cell foam, you won't be able to hear *sugar*.

However with road noise comes vibration, which is reduced by adding weight /mass to the thing that is vibrating.

I would love to try these different techniques, but my door panels rattle so bad that I feat if I apply stuff and the problem is with the panels or clips themselves tesla will void warranty :( Right now I swear I can hear every clip in the passenger door rattling going over ruff terrain. There is also creaking noises every time I'm on and off the accelerator. I think I just have a ton of body flex and door panel flex :(

I have been in 4 times for rattles and I need to book my 5th appointment but they want a recording of the noise. Guess I need to find a sound recorder or some way to mount a phone / gopro so I can make a decent video.