Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reducing the heat from the Pano roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida and park the car facing west. Red MS75, Black interior, fill glass roof. The interior heat can be unbearable if I don't put the pre-conditioning on. It is still very uncomfortable for the first 15-20 minutes as the heat is still radiating from the roof glass onto our head and into the interior. The black seats take forever to cool off.

I am starting to experiment with fitting a 2 sided reflective bubble panel to the inside of the entire glass roof panel., to remove the sun and reflect some heat from the glass overhead.

I have made a temporary shield from 2 older windshield sun shields, (bubble style) tucking the edges into the this ledge between the cglass and interior trim. I am reinforcing the pads with 3/4 x 48 " metal braces, also tucked into the edge and supporting the middle of the panel.

Is there a difference in reducing relective heat by using bubble wrap and reflective sides as opposed to a foam core double sided panel?

I was planning to use Reflextic 2 sided bubble panel material as a one piece fitted and supported panel, but I just read that they do not recommend the use of Reflextic on the inside of windows.

Is there a danger of overheating the glass, and having a problem with the edge or frame of the pano roof?
Has aybody tried this or a similiar solution?

We've used these $39.99 sunshades for years on the large flat windshields on our Tesla Model S, Toyota Prius and Corvette Z06. They dramatically reduce the UV heat coming in through the windshield since they lie on the OUTSIDE of the windshield. https://www.autoanything.com/driving-accessories/60A4281A0A0.aspx

Putting shades inside the windshield is much less effective due to the "greenhouse effect" of the windshield. Once the rays pass through the glass they don't go back out easily... and leave a bunch of heat inside.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I live in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida and park the car facing west. Red MS75, Black interior, fill glass roof. The interior heat can be unbearable if I don't put the pre-conditioning on. It is still very uncomfortable for the first 15-20 minutes as the heat is still radiating from the roof glass onto our head and into the interior. The black seats take forever to cool off.

I am starting to experiment with fitting a 2 sided reflective bubble panel to the inside of the entire glass roof panel., to remove the sun and reflect some heat from the glass overhead.

I have made a temporary shield from 2 older windshield sun shields, (bubble style) tucking the edges into the this ledge between the cglass and interior trim. I am reinforcing the pads with 3/4 x 48 " metal braces, also tucked into the edge and supporting the middle of the panel.

Is there a difference in reducing relective heat by using bubble wrap and reflective sides as opposed to a foam core double sided panel?

I was planning to use Reflextic 2 sided bubble panel material as a one piece fitted and supported panel, but I just read that they do not recommend the use of Reflextic on the inside of windows.

Is there a danger of overheating the glass, and having a problem with the edge or frame of the pano roof?
Has aybody tried this or a similiar solution?

I highly recommend you look for a dealer in your area that installs Spectra Photosync window film. It's the highest heat blocking film in the market we've seen today. Get the 75% shade if you want it as clear as possible. We've been installing this for clients that want to block the heat coming from up top without losing the light/clarity.

I highly recommend you look for a dealer in your area that installs Spectra Photosync window film. It's the highest heat blocking film in the market we've seen today. Get the 75% shade if you want it as clear as possible. We've been installing this for clients that want to block the heat coming from up top without losing the light/clarity.

Interesting! Does it come tinted too? could you add tint on top of it?

The shades I refered to are the ones from the Tesla Store. I have all three, well worth the money IMO.

I find all three fit flat on the hat shelf, never fold them up to avoid wrinkles.

I was surprised at the high view quality of the rear shade, even at night.