Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@RedwoodMotors
do GT and performance have the same spec DVF dampers and just the spring difference?
if not how would a soft setting performance compare to stiff setting GT? Im more for comfort ride so if i get the GT and if i ever want to track it in the future would i be able to just swap the springs to higher rate and have it track ready?

@HanSolo58 Hopefully Redwood will get back to you soon, but FWIW for their Model 3 kits they told me both springs and damper valving are different for GT vs Performance Sport vs Race/HPDE. I would guess that's true for their Model Y kits as well.

I think "comfort ride" and racetrack performance are strongly at odds on any car. Probably the middle ground of Performance Sport would be best for your use case. Btw are you actually planning to track a Model Y? Curious what you have planned for the SC/TC nannies.

@HanSolo58 Hopefully Redwood will get back to you soon, but FWIW for their Model 3 kits they told me both springs and damper valving are different for GT vs Performance Sport vs Race/HPDE. I would guess that's true for their Model Y kits as well.

I think "comfort ride" and racetrack performance are strongly at odds on any car. Probably the middle ground of Performance Sport would be best for your use case. Btw are you actually planning to track a Model Y? Curious what you have planned for the SC/TC nannies.
thanks for the reply. MYP is primarily for my wife and my kids- the stock is too bumpy and hard so started looking. I have a BMW that i bring to the track. but i love the performance of the MYP as well and would want to track it one in a while in the future. so was wondering what would be ideal primarily for comfort but something i can sneak in to have it enjoyable at the track as well. Leaning toward GT as I wont regret being too comfy but if its not that great on the tracks i'll stick with my BMW.

Reactions: tm1v2
thanks for the reply. MYP is primarily for my wife and my kids- the stock is too bumpy and hard so started looking. I have a BMW that i bring to the track. but i love the performance of the MYP as well and would want to track it one in a while in the future. so was wondering what would be ideal primarily for comfort but something i can sneak in to have it enjoyable at the track as well. Leaning toward GT as I wont regret being too comfy but if its not that great on the tracks i'll stick with my BMW.
Okay that all makes sense, and I agree with GT then. It's very comfort-focused (per Redwood) and that seems right for your use case. For the family car focus on making the family happy. :)

FWIW I would probably choose GT for a Model Y too, even though I went for Performance Sport for my M3P. (Will get to installing shortly, hopefully.) Different choices for cars with different characters and uses.

I haven't pushed a Model Y to its limits, but if the stability control + traction control are like in the Model 3, I think they'll shut things down too aggressively for satisfying track use, aside from Track Mode which MYP doesn't have. Especially on corner exit the nannies really seem to limit power. I haven't tracked my M3P, but I do have some track experience and I've tested my M3P's limits on roomy empty ramps, with and without Track Mode. Honestly I don't think it makes sense to take the family crossover to the track...focus on making it a great daily driver!

Okay that all makes sense, and I agree with GT then. It's very comfort-focused (per Redwood) and that seems right for your use case. For the family car focus on making the family happy. :)

FWIW I would probably choose GT for a Model Y too, even though I went for Performance Sport for my M3P. (Will get to installing shortly, hopefully.) Different choices for cars with different characters and uses.

I haven't pushed a Model Y to its limits, but if the stability control + traction control are like in the Model 3, I think they'll shut things down too aggressively for satisfying track use, aside from Track Mode which MYP doesn't have. Especially on corner exit the nannies really seem to limit power. I haven't tracked my M3P, but I do have some track experience and I've tested my M3P's limits on roomy empty ramps, with and without Track Mode. Honestly I don't think it makes sense to take the family crossover to the track...focus on making it a great daily driver!
looking at the MPP MYP track videos it still seems like an amazing track car. hope tesla will allow track mode soon to the MYPs. I think I saw Elon's tweet saying he agrees performance models should have track mode.

There is a way to disable traction control. It involves an aftermarket computer.

I got the touring installed. And it's night and day . Freeways are finally free if that butt jarring bumpiness. I have mine set at 22 up front and 20 in the back

Nice! i put my order last month and waiting for it. how long did you have to wait? cant wait!
I ordered the Öhlins from Redwood Motorsports March 28th, I called them a few days ago and it looks like we'll be waiting another 3 to 4 weeks.
While I'd like to have them sooner it gives me a chance to get the suspension back on my Volvo 242 so that I can get that car off my QuickJack lift.

Then I can install the new suspension in my garage and not in the driveway.

Now available at Redwood Motorsports! Ohlins 'Road & Track' DFV coilovers for Model 3 / Model Y. Hop on our website Model 3 Öhlins - Standard 'Road & Track' Kit AND Model Y Öhlins - Standard 'Road & Track' Kit for more information!

Information about the official Ohlins release including specs, additional discussion and RWMS accesories/options in the following thread:

This is the more affordable entry level Ohlins kit manufactured by Ohlins Sweden... lower initial price point (though much higher spring rates, cheaper steel front forks, a more agressive Street/Track focus. We will be offering all of our Redwood Ohlins DFV upgrades along with the standard kits (billet front forks, bump stop limiters, billet remote adjusters, floating top hats etc.). We are still full swing on all custom Redwood Ohlins DFV kits, but this is a nice affordable option to be more price competitive with the KW and other offerings. Bang for buck a really great value!

TESMU00S1_Front_720x.jpg