Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral program customer service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should start by saying that I have been a delighted and completely satisfied customer for 5 1/2 years with my Model S. My wife recently got a Model X which we both love. I have referred two other people (a friend at work and a family member) and between them they now drive 3 Teslas. And in all the time I have been a Tesla owner, I have been very happy with Tesla customer service, Tesla cars and my overall Tesla experience.

There is on exception - and I am struggling to get this fixed.

Back in May 2019 we ordered my wife's Model X. I was trying to give myself a referral bonus as a current owner of a Model S. At this point I messed up! I could not find a place to put in my referral information so asked my sales adviser and he pointed out I was supposed to order using my link. I had placed the order already without using the link. My mistake, of course.

I spoke to my sales rep and I suggested cancelling my order and reentering it to get the referral bonus (1000 miles plus entry into drawings for a Roadster or Model Y). He advised against this and said that he could get corporate to fix it for me. When I took delivery in mid-June, I asked again repeatedly and was told it would show up in the next couple of days. For many weeks I have texted him back and forwards, he escalated the issue to supervisors. Eventually I called support in mid-July and found a person who said she could help - she could see the communications in the system I had had with Tesla and assured me the referral award would show up in a day or two. It never happened. I do not have my 1000 miles free supercharging and I do not have an entry into the drawings that are part of this offer.

It is almost impossible to find a person to talk to for help (other than new sales), so I sent in my request for help using the online help channel. So far no answer.

I remain delighted in my cars and the customer service overall. But I am very disappointed in two things - the lack of responsiveness on this issue and the inability to actually talk to people who can help.