Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh LR Black Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 weeks old 2021 Refresh Long Range. Was parked at work in a below ground garage (no connectivity if this matters). Walked up to the car and the handles presented themselves. Opened the door and saw nothing on the two screens. The gear selection on the console was activated so I started driving slow in the garage. After 10 seconds roughly, the screens turned back on and all seemed normal. Never saw this with wife's 1yr old MY. Anything to be concerned about?

I just got my refresh Model S LR a week and a half ago and the black screen thing has happened three times to me in the past few days. I don't believe it happened until software v2021.32 was installed, the one that gives the FSD beta "button".

But since then, I had it happen when getting into the car while in the garage, once after pulling out of the garage in reverse and was about ready to switch to drive, and once while parked in the street at a friend's house.

This is pretty concerning... I'm not sure if this is something I should report to service or wait to see what happens with the next software update.

Reactions: yayarearunner
I just got my refresh Model S LR a week and a half ago and the black screen thing has happened three times to me in the past few days. I don't believe it happened until software v2021.32 was installed, the one that gives the FSD beta "button".

But since then, I had it happen when getting into the car while in the garage, once after pulling out of the garage in reverse and was about ready to switch to drive, and once while parked in the street at a friend's house.

This is pretty concerning... I'm not sure if this is something I should report to service or wait to see what happens with the next software update.
This happened to me just yesterday. Backing out of the garage, both screens were black. Rebooted the system and they came back on, but this is very concerning!

This happened to me just yesterday. Backing out of the garage, both screens were black. Rebooted the system and they came back on, but this is very concerning!
Happened to my Plaid as well a few times yesterday. I have a service appointment and noted the time stamp of the last occurrence. I should be getting a call from the SC soon. I will report back here with response…

This has happened to me 3 times. Two of the times it was when I started the car and it resolved itself. The biggest issue is that there was no speedometer.

The last one happened after I had been driving. I guess no issues, but it didn't seem like it was coming back, so I did the two-button reset and that seemed to bring everything back.

But makes me think it's not the screen waking up, since one of my instances the screen was awake.

I have a Model S Plaid, for ~1.5 months now. I had no problems with black screens until the latest software update (2021.32.22), and now I've had ~8 occurrences.

Sometimes only the front screen (in front of the yoke) goes black, always while driving at highway speeds. Freaked me out that first time :) Maybe this has happened ~5 times now.

And then sometimes I get into the car to drive, and both screens remain black, for maybe ~20 seconds. I am able to drive the car with the backup lit buttons under the center console, and then the screens come back to life shortly after I start my drive.

I'm glad to hear this is not unique to me, and is likely just buggy display (NOT driving) software!

Had my plaid in for service today…
Confirmed it’s a Firmware issue.
As I recall he said that it would be fixed in 2021.40…
Not able to force it at this time nor was he able to tell me when I was likely to get it.

Invoice Details:

Concern: Customer: Screens going black. Forcing me to use the gear shift buttons below the wireless charger to put the car in forward & reverse. Please check and advise. (@8:44AM. (10/17/21) Screen started off black then came on and then turned black again when I touch the garage door opener button. )
Performed manual log review during customer time stamps, Found the vehicle is experiencing a known firmware bug that is currently under investigation and will be fixed in a future firmware release. Please perform a scroll wheel reset when the issue occurs to mitigate this behavior until the fix is implemented
Correction: Remote – Known Characteristic of Current Firmware

I’ve found that providing timestamps for these types of intermittent issues is the best way to accelerate a resolution for everyone. Gives them the data they need to track down the cause.
Understood, but not everyone is going to document everything as they dont have the time or patience. I know i would, but i am not about to ask the wife to DOCUMENT silly software issues in a car, and she is the primary driver.

Understood, but not everyone is going to document everything as they dont have the time or patience. I know i would, but i am not about to ask the wife to DOCUMENT silly software issues in a car, and she is the primary driver.
I just take a quick photo/video on my iPhone. I document it after the fact using the time stamp of the photo/video. Photo/video doesn’t actually need to capture the issue.

Something worse is happening to me. Black screens - all three, when trying to wake the car after it's been parked overnight. But it's not 5-10 minutes. It takes hours for the screens to turn back on. In the meantime the car will drive, and regen is working, but no turn signals, and no other systems operational.

I've had my LR '21 since June. This has now happened to me twice. I drove the car expecting it to eventually turn on, before I knew that turn signals wouldn't work. It didn't turn on for several hours, once parked back in my garage and charging.

Last time it also took hours, but turned on without a charging cable.

Service tech I spoke to said he hasn't seen anything like it before. I hope to drive the car in this week.