Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Refresh Model S LR/Plaid : Winter Tire Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OEM track wheels coming out are 285 wide in front and same width/offset - so I imagine these will work since they match dimensionally.
Yes, I am sure they will work/fit. Just seems wide up front and will probably kick up even more rocks to chip the rocker panels and rear fender. But that is just my opinion...I am sure they will look great.

Is a 20x10 with a 285/40r20 tire a good set-up for the refresh S on all fours? Will that mess with safety/sensors/speedo/etc.?
285/40/20 will not fit up front. You need 285/35/20.

If you got the Plaid, 20x10 with 285/35/20 will be a great setup ( but overkill for the LR)

If you got the LR, 20x9 with 255/40/20 or 265/40/20 will be the better option.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Yeah I can't really justify dropping $7000 on a tire package that will only be on my car from December-March. I am absolutely in love with the Signature SV104, but the Tsportline TS5 saves me about $3k. If I was buying these for racing, I'd save up for the better rims, but for a winter tire package on a LR, I think settling for the cheaper option makes sense for me.

I would love to have the SV104 for my summer rims. One problem at a time. :cool:

Attachments

• C0B13DA9-6C3E-462A-BD9E-2E617D6E2629.jpeg
    C0B13DA9-6C3E-462A-BD9E-2E617D6E2629.jpeg
    448.9 KB · Views: 172
  • Helpful
I think I have decided on the set-up for winter:
265/40r20 front
285/35r20 rear
Both on a 20x10" with +40 offset

These will be same overall diameter front and rear respectively. Also, they are zero poke - same outside point as OEM 21" wheels.

Michelin has a Pilot 4 A/S in those sizes. Concern is if the 265 is too much stretch for a 10" wheel.
If it is, I will just use a 285 /35 in front as well (will have a 0.4" further poke). Having a square set-up would allow me to rotate.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
So, I send an e-mail to Michelin asking about the A/S for the rear and any recommendations.

Their response - they cannot recommend anything because the 295/30r21 is not listed as an OE tire for any 2021 Tesla Models S and they can only deal in OE sizes and tires. Um, what?

I just tried to order the 19" Winter Sottozero tires recommended in the OP, and Tire Rack is not going to ship out my order because they have the OEM rear tires listed as a 107Y (which seems correct), and these are 103V... Is this an actual problem? It does seem like a significant difference in rating. Tire Rack wants a picture from the car showing the axle rating before they will ship my order. Unfortunately I don't have the car yet. Delivery of my Plaid is scheduled for December-January and I'm in Illinois so I definitely want to have snow tires ready at delivery to swap out right away.

Last edited:
I just tried to order the 19" Winter Sottozero tires recommended in the OP, and Tire Rack is not going to ship out my order because they have the OEM rear tires listed as a 107Y (which seems correct), and these are 103V... Is this an actual problem? It does seem like a significant difference in rating. Tire Rack wants a picture from the car showing the axle rating before they will ship my order. Unfortunately I don't have the car yet. Delivery of my Plaid is scheduled for December-January and I'm in Illinois so I definitely want to have snow tires ready at delivery to swap out right away.
Just pick the tire and choose "I do not wish to enter vehicle information for this item."

103 load rating is more than enough for the Model S. Keep in mind that OEM 265/35/21 & 295/30/21 only has load rating of 101 & 102.

So, I send an e-mail to Michelin asking about the A/S for the rear and any recommendations.

Their response - they cannot recommend anything because the 295/30r21 is not listed as an OE tire for any 2021 Tesla Models S and they can only deal in OE sizes and tires. Um, what?
Michelin AS4 is not available in size 295/30/21.

21" isn't a ideal size for all season setup with very limited tire options (Unless you are okay to sacrifice some performance with running the grand touring all season tire (instead of high-performance all season tire))

Last edited:
Just pick the tire and choose "I do not wish to enter vehicle information for this item."

103 load rating is more than enough for the Model S. Keep in mind that OEM 265/35/21 & 295/30/21 only has load rating of 101 & 102.

Michelin AS4 is not available in size 295/30/21.

21" isn't a ideal size for all season setup with very limited tire options (Unless you are okay to sacrifice some performance with running the grand touring all season tire (instead of high-performance all season tire))

I understand that the AS4 is not available (yet). His response to me was that they do not list their own tire (Pilot 4S in 295/30r21) as an OEM tire so they cannot even comment on any tires for the vehicle.

While the Signature wheels are golden, I decided to save money and go with the TSportline T5S in 20x9 (+40) front and rear with the Pilot AS4 in 285/35r20. I know a narrower tire would be more ideal in the snow and such but I think this will be a good set-up for the winter.

While the Signature wheels are golden, I decided to save money and go with the TSportline T5S in 20x9 (+40) front and rear with the Pilot AS4 in 285/35r20. I know a narrower tire would be more ideal in the snow and such but I think this will be a good set-up for the winter.
Do you mean 20x10". I dont see 9" options for the TS5 on their site.