Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S. Would you purchase again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely agree with Anson Fung. The Model S is an amazing car. I had a 2022 Model Y Performance and traded up to MSLR for comfort, Air Conditioned Seats, Comfort Ride Suspension and a bunch of other reasons. The primary reason NOT to consider ANY other comparable car is the Supercharging network. Unless of course you only ever charge at home or work. All other networks suck. I think you will love the MS.

I would 5 months into ownership because there's still nothing remotely close that offers as much bang for the buck and it's only gotten better for current buyers since it's $12K cheaper than when I bought mine new.

*Suspension clicking noises are par for course
*Tesla Service Centers truly feel third world
*The power, speed and braking are world class
*Charging peace of mind is top class (even though I 99.9% home charge)
*Still one of the best looking EV sedans on the market

It's a real privilege to live at a time where you can legally drive such a tech tour de beast.

IMG_0270.jpeg

Last edited:
Your point is well taken. However, until Tesla can implement a change-control and adequate testing process, their "advancements" sometimes regress with problems corrected in earlier versions, and implementation of features that are not well implemented or understood by the programmers tasked with implementing them. It is very disheartening to get an update that screws up something that was working perfectly in previous versions.

Yeah. With the latest software my spotify now skips and sound goes in and out with the reverse camera. Was fine before

Your answer is why they sell cars like they do, they can get away with it and people buy smoke and mirrors. I am pointing out simple things like auto-wipers that haven't been fixed in 12 years. This is low hanging fruit, what does that tell you?

BMW at least does not pretend they will make car "better" with software updates. You bought what you bought.
Yeah - which is what really stinks about BMW and as a guy that owned many BMW’s and still have an X5 is why I like Tesla so much. Always like a kid at Christmas of what new things Tesla will add next and then feels like a new car again. Like you said with BMW you get stuck with what you get even though they probably have the tech to improve it or add something new.

I have owned my refresh Model S LR for two years now and this is my first EV. I love most everything about it and would highly recommend it. There was a learning curve, where at first I wondered what I was doing. I still think BMW iDrive has the best music interface in the industry and also like BMW HUD. Our local Tesla service is excellent too (Mayfield, OH and mobile) on the few times I have used them.

Telsa Music interface is still behind, but has gotten better. They added a Favorites tab, but what is the point if I can not rearrange my favorites or delete favorites or even scroll through them. Also - not even sure how some things were added as favorites. Another feature that has not improved is the Model S refresh drivers infotainment display, Tesla has not added one new feature, like media art, etc.

Like the look of the BMW i5, but the range is lacking compared to the Model S LR with 19’s and the CCS charging network is still really bad if you travel a lot, where Tesla is plug and play. If BMW had the range with the i5 would be tempted to try it. Think it is very weak that they could not do better on range, when it took so long to develop the i5. Also - no frunk, which is odd for an EV.

Only other sedan I would like to try is the Lucid Grand Touring, but then stuck with CCS charging network again and still like some things better in my Model S like Vision.

Reactions: dn325ci
Yeah - which is what really stinks about BMW and as a guy that owned many BMW’s and still have an X5 is why I like Tesla so much. Always like a kid at Christmas of what new things Tesla will add next and then feels like a new car again. Like you said with BMW you get stuck with what you get even though they probably have the tech to improve it or add something new.

I have owned my refresh Model S LR for two years now and this is my first EV. I love most everything about it and would highly recommend it. There was a learning curve, where at first I wondered what I was doing. I still think BMW iDrive has the best music interface in the industry and also like BMW HUD. Our local Tesla service is excellent too (Mayfield, OH and mobile) on the few times I have used them.

Telsa Music interface is still behind, but has gotten better. They added a Favorites tab, but what is the point if I can not rearrange my favorites or delete favorites or even scroll through them. Also - not even sure how some things were added as favorites. Another feature that has not improved is the Model S refresh drivers infotainment display, Tesla has not added one new feature, like media art, etc.

Like the look of the BMW i5, but the range is lacking compared to the Model S LR with 19’s and the CCS charging network is still really bad if you travel a lot, where Tesla is plug and play. If BMW had the range with the i5 would be tempted to try it. Think it is very weak that they could not do better on range, when it took so long to develop the i5. Also - no frunk, which is odd for an EV.

Only other sedan I would like to try is the Lucid Grand Touring, but then stuck with CCS charging network again and still like some things better in my Model S like Vision.
So specifically then, what did Tesla update through the software to add and make car like new again, I am seriously asking?

So specifically then, what did Tesla update through the software to add and make car like new again, I am seriously asking?
Like new means adding new features that you did not get when purchased. Hopefully - that makes sense. They are always adding something. Last Christmas it was the lane changing video, Vision, Favorites button, I could go on and on, as they are always adding features that are new that with BMW you would need to buy the latest and greatest to get. 🙂

Not sure if the technology is a plus anymore, as other cars may have passed Tesla. BMW for example, has pretty much everything Tesla including (hands free highway assist, HUD, Parking overhead display, phone key, etc). I think really the Telsa has the SC network (and range) and power now.
But, geez, those BMWs are now as ugly inside as the pig snout front of the car is on the outside. What is BMW thinking?

I assume you got them to buy back due to some state lemon law ? What were the primary issues? If the story is documented on here somewhere can you link to the thread?

Go to the vibration thread. Vibration at 80 mph on the highway mainly felt in pedal. Been to service center 7 times and no fix. No lemon law needed. Just requested buy back from Tesla and they accepted it

I have heard so much about the wipers. I have a 2016 MS (I had a 2014 MS before that) and have ordered a new MSLR and waiting for VIN to be assigned. I just replaced my wife’s Acura MDX with a MX Plaid (Oct 2023). The wiper seems to work fine. Not sure what everyone is cribbing about. And I love the car. Auto-pilot (3 months trial) works well but I wont bet my life on it yet (I watch it like a hawk). It is amazing how it stops automatically at stop signs, checks (hesitates) and then moves on. Yes, it does get confused sometimes but I am sure it will improve over time (I have seen my 2016 MS 85D evolve).

Coming back to wipers, seriously, what do you guys find wrong with it? The wipers start at a hint of rain and changes speed when the intensity of rain increases.

I have heard so much about the wipers. I have a 2016 MS (I had a 2014 MS before that) and have ordered a new MSLR and waiting for VIN to be assigned. I just replaced my wife’s Acura MDX with a MX Plaid (Oct 2023). The wiper seems to work fine. Not sure what everyone is cribbing about. And I love the car. Auto-pilot (3 months trial) works well but I wont bet my life on it yet (I watch it like a hawk). It is amazing how it stops automatically at stop signs, checks (hesitates) and then moves on. Yes, it does get confused sometimes but I am sure it will improve over time (I have seen my 2016 MS 85D evolve).

Coming back to wipers, seriously, what do you guys find wrong with it? The wipers start at a hint of rain and changes speed when the intensity of rain increases.

I just never drive in the rain....😁

But seriously, the problem with wipers is that is is the poster child for Tesla approach to software, always in beta...etc.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Thats true too. And, it's also frustrating to hear the things that are supposedly coming but never do.
From whom are you hearing these things? If you’re talking about things which Tesla says are coming but never do…. Ok, I get it. If you’re talking about things which someone at TMC is certain that they’re “just around the corner,” I have no patience for that.

The MSLR I picked up on Saturday is the fourth Tesla I’ve purchased. Sold my 2014 RWD S 85 after only having it six months to purchase an 85D with autopilot. That model, by the way, was 0-60 in 5.4 when the first deliveries were made. One morning after an update, people who paid for a car that was 0-60 in 5.4 woke up to find their car now was down to 4.4. And another month or so later it improved again, with an OTS update to 4.2 seconds!

To get back to my point, though, in 2015 there was a lot of buzz on the TMC forum about, among other things which never happened, the Heads Up Display being “imminent.” I’d still be driving my “bridge” ICE vehicle if I’d kept waiting for that HUD.