Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion there is no world where chrome/silver looks good on a car. Its always tacky. The thing I am most excited about with this refresh is the chrome delete! Prior to Tesla switching the 20" wheels from silver to black, the 22" was the only way to go. In retrospect now - Is 2" of wheel really worth $5,500? Again in my opinion the answer is no. Especially considering where I live in CT I end up switching my current MX to a 20" rim set for the winter months anyways.

Now the question I had to ask myself was if switching to the 20" rims was worth me saving $5,500 and moving to the back of the line... again the answer is no. I would now rather spend the $5,500 if it means getting my car a year earlier.

I digress, if the 20" rims were black from the start my order would have been different.

In my opinion there is no world where chrome/silver looks good on a car. Its always tacky. The thing I am most excited about with this refresh is the chrome delete! Prior to Tesla switching the 20" wheels from silver to black, the 22" was the only way to go. In retrospect now - Is 2" of wheel really worth $5,500? Again in my opinion the answer is no. Especially considering where I live in CT I end up switching my current MX to a 20" rim set for the winter months anyways.

Now the question I had to ask myself was if switching to the 20" rims was worth me saving $5,500 and moving to the back of the line... again the answer is no. I would now rather spend the $5,500 if it means getting my car a year earlier.

I digress, if the 20" rims were black from the start my order would have been different.
Same for me.

I hate that Tesla decided to change the color of wheels suddenly a few months ago. I upgraded to the 22s because the silver 20s just didn’t look good on our future MSM X. I would happily downgrade to the 20s now that they’re black and match the car better. The decreased range over recent months makes me wish I had the 20s, but as you know, too late to switch now and lose 15k for a 5k wheel downgrade.
In the future, just know you can powder coat all four rims to whatever you want for about $800. So you could have ordered the 20’s and then made them the exact same color as the 22’s.

I got this update today when I log into my account. If I hit update design, it takes me to an order page and my new price is $20k higher and my delivery date is December 2022. Has this happened to anyone else?

I ordinarily ordered in October 2020.

View attachment 740491
You were supposed to update that when the Refresh first came out.

In the future, just know you can powder coat all four rims to whatever you want for about $800. So you could have ordered the 20’s and then made them the exact same color as the 22’s.
This is exactly what I was planning to do, I got a quote for $600 which I was prepared to spend as soon as I got the car…. But then Tesla made them black and saved me that money.

Hate to say it but the new 22’s are downright ugly while the black 20’s rock…
Disagree about the new 22s, I think they look great. aseptically after seeing them on a few delivered cars.
2CB2CD8A-0807-4923-B431-ACB45D4EC881.jpeg
FF4D7C6C-0380-4792-B5DE-8E331C4310F5.jpeg

A recent post with some vitriol caused me to reflect why I’m not more mad at this situation. I’ve been waiting for a refresh X since the rumors started. It has caused me logistical challenges, having to rent or borrow cars on occasion. Sometimes I get mad at the lack of communication and shifting expectations. But at the end of the day, I keep coming back to an overriding love for Tesla and the larger mission. Because of them,

- The electrification of the global fleet is moving from a blip of uninspiring hybrids to an industry-wide trend.

- The promise of driverless cars reducing horrific accidents and DUI tragedies is just over the horizon.

- On a personal level, owning a prior S / X / 3 has been the most amazing car ownership experience. From no-haggle ordering, to over the air updates, insane performance, skipping gas stations, convenient Supercharger network and the best cockpit to lounge in, there are currently no other options I would seriously consider.

Having worked in tech and operations, I appreciate both the rate of product development and speed of scale. I remember when the first Gigafactory was laughed at; now they’re poised to address short term production constraints (supply chain notwithstanding). 4680 batteries will be another leap forward. Yes, startup culture is messy, but it’s the only path that achieves true change.

Our $100ks will buy us an amazing car, one day. But we’re also enabling a transformative vision that is changing the world we live in. I’m grateful I get to participate and play a small part in it all.

(If you’re mad, feel free to stay mad, this is just why I’m not right now.)

I think it’s worth asking for an exception. Unless you’re a vinner… then don’t rock the boat. VINs are clearly finicky!
A few months back I did email an advisor that’s helped me in the past with issues and got this response:

Greetings, Jeremy,

The only way to modify your order would be through your Tesla account to adjust your wheel selection. If you modify through your Tesla account, you WILL have be migrated to the new pricing schema. There is nothing I would be able to do to assist in modifying your order and keeping the same overall price currently associated with the vehicle. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Um, you all know there's a lot more to the TMC forums than just the waiting room threads, right? 😁

Bruce.
Yes... there is also the postpartum!!! And then diapers
I hate that Tesla decided to change the color of wheels suddenly a few months ago. I upgraded to the 22s because the silver 20s just didn’t look good on our future MSM X. I would happily downgrade to the 20s now that they’re black and match the car better. The decreased range over recent months makes me wish I had the 20s, but as you know, too late to switch now and lose 15k for a 5k wheel downgrade.
I don't know if it's still possible, but back in 2017, my X was going to be delivered with the larger wheels and I didn't want them. Prior to delivery they changed them out and adjusted purchase price.

When you get close to delivery, try asking the delivery center... it's an easy change for them.

Reactions: Jwalker9
the more we think about it, the more it seems as if the production/delivery team is going thru production hell. Maybe they're trying to add those amazing weekly or monthly upgrades that Tesla is so famous for and hit some glitches trying to make the product better for YOu! It's a gamble. Then they have to backtrack. I have those hellish type weeks and months on my gig from time to time. It's lucrative(I'm union) but It aint fun or easy. Or comfortable to communicate to fam and friends that you can't see them like you promised. And your body and mind is spent all to hell. That's what I think those Tesla production line/engineering/manufacturing dudes/dudettes are going thru right now.

And then the rest of us jump up and down like banshees cuz the EDD didn't pan out because January. Elons email to employees about not rushing for end of quarter sounds apropo for a multitude of positve reasons. For us. Especially stockholders. Me? I'm gonna ease up. It gets here when it gets here.
You are forgetting that Elon in his own words indicated the car would be built and release in March (or April). This compelled a lot of people to sell their cars, apply for financing, extend leases, drive golf carts to work, etc. There is real world cost with all this, not to mention logistical headaches. I don't think people would be as mad had the timeline expectation not been created by Elon himself. On top of that, the company has left everyone in the dark. Tesla can't help supply chain issues, but they can control communication. We are not asking for trade secrets, but a realistic estimate on delivery is reasonable to expect for some spending over $100k on a vehicle. At a most, they are obfuscating the truth and at a minimum are not attempting to communicate reasonable information. Either way, it has prevented many from pursuing other cars (I imagine many would have gotten in line for a Rivian or F-150 or even an ICE had they known how long this would take), which some consider an unfair business practice.

I also don't subscribe to the: "It's all OK, cause your gonna love it so much in a year, you'll forget about all this pain". In other words, the ends justify the means. That's like saying: "When I stop stepping on your neck, you will feel better and enjoy oxygen so much that you will forget about how wrong I was to step on you like that.

OK. Done for now.

A recent post with some vitriol caused me to reflect why I’m not more mad at this situation. I’ve been waiting for a refresh X since the rumors started. It has caused me logistical challenges, having to rent or borrow cars on occasion. Sometimes I get mad at the lack of communication and shifting expectations. But at the end of the day, I keep coming back to an overriding love for Tesla and the larger mission. Because of them,

- The electrification of the global fleet is moving from a blip of uninspiring hybrids to an industry-wide trend.

- The promise of driverless cars reducing horrific accidents and DUI tragedies is just over the horizon.

- On a personal level, owning a prior S / X / 3 has been the most amazing car ownership experience. From no-haggle ordering, to over the air updates, insane performance, skipping gas stations, convenient Supercharger network and the best cockpit to lounge in, there are currently no other options I would seriously consider.

Having worked in tech and operations, I appreciate both the rate of product development and speed of scale. I remember when the first Gigafactory was laughed at; now they’re poised to address short term production constraints (supply chain notwithstanding). 4680 batteries will be another leap forward. Yes, startup culture is messy, but it’s the only path that achieves true change.

Our $100ks will buy us an amazing car, one day. But we’re also enabling a transformative vision that is changing the world we live in. I’m grateful I get to participate and play a small part in it all.

(If you’re mad, feel free to stay mad, this is just why I’m not right now.)
Very well done. I agree with all of this and it’s great perspective @Singularity. I would just say my frustration has been with the lack of communication or information being disseminated to SA or other Tesla employees. I don’t think great communication (or heck even mediocre communication) and electrifying the global fleet need to be mutually exclusive. I’d even go with a bone being thrown out from Tesla acknowledging they need to get better at communication pipeline.

Yes... there is also the postpartum!!! And then diapers

I don't know if it's still possible, but back in 2017, my X was going to be delivered with the larger wheels and I didn't want them. Prior to delivery they changed them out and adjusted purchase price.

When you get close to delivery, try asking the delivery center... it's an easy change for them.
Thanks, I’m will def try, although am not sure it they do that anymore. When i bought my M3P- (stealth) in 8/19, i asked if they could swap out the Aeros for sport 19’s, and they said no. They’ve streamlined things so much these days. Sigh