Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attempted to take delivery of an MX (6-seater) the other day, but sadly had to reject it. I honestly went in expecting a few issues and was hell-bent on taking the car home, but this was just too much. I had never seen a new car so poorly assembled in my life, and I'm not exactly a traditional high-end or luxury car buyer. Nothing catastrophic, but the list of cosmetic issues (Scratched glass. Paint drips. Chunks of plastic missing in interior trim. Visible yoke wire and pit on the surface. Mismatched bumper color. Exterior trim issues. Both FWD gaskets were gashed. Leather seats looked old and worn on the side. Car interior was filthy as far as brand new cars go.) was too much to stomach. I'd honestly be embarrassed to show it off to a friend or neighbor had I accepted it.

Oh well, back in the VIN pool. Hopefully these are "end of quarter" surge + new production ramp issues that'll get sorted quickly. Glad to see at least a few folks are getting keepers.

I believe they are on there. I haven’t checked but if you zoom in you see the tesla black caps on the wheels.

The middle cap right? Little confused
No, he is talking about the ones that are on the outside edge of the rim. It looks like yours don't have them. We have seen the 22" wheels delivered both with and without them.
1640963346939.png

Attempted to take delivery of an MX (6-seater) the other day, but sadly had to reject it. I honestly went in expecting a few issues and was hell-bent on taking the car home, but this was just too much. I had never seen a new car so poorly assembled in my life, and I'm not exactly a traditional high-end or luxury car buyer. Nothing catastrophic, but the list of cosmetic issues (Scratched glass. Paint drips. Chunks of plastic missing in interior trim. Visible yoke wire and pit on the surface. Mismatched bumper color. Exterior trim issues. Both FWD gaskets were gashed. Leather seats looked old and worn on the side. Car interior was filthy as far as brand new cars go.) was too much to stomach. I'd honestly be embarrassed to show it off to a friend or neighbor had I accepted it.

Oh well, back in the VIN pool. Hopefully these are "end of quarter" surge + new production ramp issues that'll get sorted quickly. Glad to see at least a few folks are getting keepers.
Dang wonder will the next person in line will accept or pass on this?
(New game show folks accept or pass coming soon)

I am so sorry to hear this!
I added this info to the Issues thread for tracking and documentation trends.
Do you have any images to share?

I am so sorry to hear this!
I added this info to the Issues thread for tracking and documentation trends.
Do you have any images to share?
Only a few, regrettably. I honestly think I subconsciously lowered the phone and stopped taking pictures after I realized I wasn't taking it. I guess I was too devastated. Really only have images of the FWD gashes and some missing plastic in the floor piece.
I'd like to understand the physics of how the FWD gashes even happened, especially on a brand new vehicle (there had to be a very limited amount of FWD closing cycles). Makes me think that they actually occurred during assembly.

I should emphasize that the SC folks were great. Really enjoyed working with them, and they seemed every bit as frustrated as I was that they were shipped a car in this condition. This experience hasn't been great given the need to reject, but still way better than working with a traditional car dealer. After I said I was rejecting the car, they had me carefully point out everything again in order to feed-back to corporate, so hopefully this experience did some good for future builds.

To sum it up: when you look at this particular car in person the overwhelming feeling is "wow, they need to slow down". It truly does look as if the assembly line was trying to find the minimum time it takes to build one of these things. It exactly reflects what Elon said (admitted to) during the Munro interview earlier this year (about the Model 3 ramp).

Dang wonder will the next person in line will accept or pass on this?
(New game show folks accept or pass coming soon)
I'm sure someone did. The wait is so long that if I was in the back of the line I'd probably take it too. The SC said they could fix practically all of it, and I believed them. Just didn't have the stomach for it.

I'm sure someone did. The wait is so long that if I was in the back of the line I'd probably take it too. The SC said they could fix practically all of it, and I believed them. Just didn't have the stomach for it.
My hat goes off to you for walking away and not just taking anything. Your my hero because to be real, I'm not sure what I would have done at that moment.

Last edited:
My hat goes off to you for walking away and not just talking anything. Your my hero because to be real, I'm not sure what I would have done at that moment.
Thanks- I forgot to mention that the other major voice in my head was reminding me of the parts shortage situation too. I think everyone should remember this when taking delivery of one of these things, despite what the SC claims... I think they're honest when they say that they can fix stuff, but the real question is when. In my situation the theoretical parts list was so long that it made sense (to me) to just wait for a new VIN. Would like to hear about the experience of someone taking the opposite road (repairs) though.

I also ordered in February on 2/20/21.

6 seater, Blk, Blk, 22, FSD - in Los Angeles

Today.....after being Feb EDD, it's now showing TBD. Like you, could this be a good sign? I'll happily wait a week or two with TBD if I get a "Good News" call 😬

I'm trying not to look into this but gives me hope. Anyone else get moved to TBD recently?
Update! VIN received yesterday 12/30....

Contact-less Delivery is today 12/31.

How's that for Tesla Magic with a buzzer beater in 2021?

Can't wait!