Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD just changed from 1/19-1/23 to 1/20-1/24. Lets see if I get any text/call today.
The same exact scenario happened to me. I wonder if they are just going to increment it by 1 every day)
IMG_5081.jpeg

This is my belief, which could be completely wrong and most likely is, but figured I'd tell it to see what others believe:

Tesla has had their system 'predict' when you'd get your new vehicle by giving you a range. A lot of you are seeing it now. they've been doing this for a long time. As a matter of fact, they still do for all models except the X, until yesterday that is. My company works with manufacturers doing data science such as Scheduling AI, Robotics, Forecasting, etc. If you try to do ANY kind of forecasting during this pandemic, it's super hard. Most of the time, you'll be lucky to be even remotely close as the data is trash due to supply chain issues. So my guess is that due to the supply chain issues hitting the X immensely plus QA issues, they turned off the predictive EDD by overriding it in the code. You can clearly see this if you look at the source code if you still have March. This is why we kept seeing a +1 month every month for the past X months.

Here is my crazy guess. Someone f'ed up and pushed a new update to the code to undo the override for a lot of folks. This is why so many can see an EDD range without a VIN. The system sees a lot of vehicles marked as complete and it's trying to let some peeps know that one is coming. Now, I hope I'm wrong and a lot of you get your vehicles, but that's the only logical explanation running through my head that doesn't throw Tesla under the bus. They can't seriously f this up THAT bad, can they?

If someone here is a graphics designer, I'd love to see a beautiful meme that says, The Tesla Way, created. I want this to be part of my signature.

I completely get your point. My intent was to come crashing into this forum and have this experience. As I said earlier, my expectations was a year from now or maybe fall if I was lucky. So it's kind of a shock to be in this spot in as is.
I really dislike written communication. To be really clear, I wasn't upset with you or your circumstances at all. My favorite saying is that life isn't fair. Not a negative statement at all. Each one of us probably have had unfair things that went our way big time. (We are all waiting for $100K+ cars)

When life hands you an unfair gift, you are crazy to not take it. (Assuming of course that it isn't a lemon and/or that you don't end up having to eat ramen noodles for the next year to swing it...)

In any event, welcome to the forum. I hope whatever happens to you ends up working out for you!!!

Makes me wonder if Tesla just gave us these estimated, but ephemeral, delivery dates to shut us up for now. We were really getting some momentum going.
The only other thing I can think of is that they are expecting parts by a certain date.

My assumption is that there is absolutely 0 issue with producing the MX on the production line but they stopped making bodies because there is no physical space to put them while they wait for a particular part. If this part comes in slowly that would explain why we see such a small quantity of deliveries and movement on the test track.

Reactions: Zygote1975
I wonder even those Xs are moving. It seems they are stuck. If they have so many in the lot, why not provide VIN's and start delivering those. Maybe they want them to be delivered to new orders based on price increase(Typical Tesla):eek::confused:
Okay, I am the world's worst at visual puzzles and seeing details. But as I look at these it appears that when I look at a specific car, then look at the next picture it is a different color. Are these the same cars getting shuffled? Are they new and different cars? Am I crazy? (Please don't answer the third question...)

Thanks for the info. There are some inventory S I was considering given my X order moved to September EDD but if the S is too low to get in & out of then I won't enjoy it and will need to stick with waiting for my X.
Tesla gave me a Model S last week as a loaner for a few days while my new refresh Model X was in the shop to resolve fit and finish issues. The Model S was hard to get out of I found. It's a great car but for that I would pass on the S.

I think I finally have some goodish news depending on where you are, originally when I ordered my X the estimated delivery said Jan-Feb, then out of nowhere in November it switched to December Estimated delivery, I instantly got all the tasks finished including payment thinking I would get it by December, but then it got changed right back to February and no longer Jan-Feb, which meant hope for December and January was completely gone for me.

But now for the good ish news, tesla is one of my oldest costumers since around 2016, I am the owner of a logistics company so I have access to the cars and vins that are being shipped and need to be shipped, I only have info on the cars that are being moved around and have 0 info on the ones being built or how manny are being built or anything, I simply just know what cars are done being built, where they are going and by when, I wasn’t seeing almost any Xs at all in December but things have started to pick up, now there’s full truck loads of Xs, keep in mind since the Xs weigh so much and are long, the limit that can be moved at once legally is much less than the usual 8-9 cars. I’ve started to see more and more of them needing to be shipped outside of California! mainly in the Big Western region states, AZ and CO seem to be having the most Xs on the way to them, Texas is starting to pick up a bit too, still don’t see much for us at all in the East, but I can confidently say that the western states are about to be having 12 or more cars a week at each delivery center soon, and 12 a week is a very conservative number, hopefully they can clear out the west and come to the East soon, meybe my company will be the one delivering to some of you guys on here from the east soon haha
@abel2003 I had to dig around to find this "old" post. Is it possible to look into the current shipping picture? Maybe help all of make sense of what we are seeing?

Are lack of truckers keeping us from getting a VIN?
That's a good question. I know nothing about logistics, but I suspect that the EDD later in the process may mean one step further along the line in logistics. Early EDD is literally a placeholder, but I think TBD is a slightly more "mature" step in the logistics process: Figure out how much material to order based on reservations-> build budget and acquire materials -> refine manufacturing process during early builds -> nail down processes -> ramp up building cars -> build close to the number you want (maybe less?) -> With enough built to justify shipping costs, start to look at existing orders and start allocating based on shipping trucks available vs. geography -> match car to a person=VIN?

I would guess that TBD means your geography may be getting a shipment soon. Maybe somewhere a little further down the line, an actual car is matched with an actual customer. I think I read that a VIN is generated as soon as a car is built. Maybe that's true, but is it possible that you don't get a VIN until a specific car is designated as a match to your order (ie, they assign you the car)?