Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my X Plaid VIN. Tesla even upgraded my order from the 5-seater to the 6-seater at no additional charge since I’ve waited so long and the 6-seaters are being built first. Although each month my scheduled delivery was pushed back, I understand the whole supply chain disruptions, microprocessor shortages and the retooling Tesla went through. Rather than bitch about what’s wrong (which does nothing but raise your blood pressure) I’ve chosen to be happy that mine is being delivered between February 11-16. Then I’m having it wrapped in a metallic pearl white, windows tinted and door handles with carbon fiber appliqué.
It’s easy to overlook all of that when you have a VIN. When did you order?

I completely disagree with the idea that the X doesn’t have personality or it’s own style. It has the most personality of any Tesla at the moment outside of the Cybertruck.

In the video the reviewer was referring to the exterior. Take a look at tesla.com and jump back and forth between the Y and X landing pages. With very very subtle differences to the untrained eye it almost looks like the same car. Even small details like the fog lights are identical. The only major difference from a distant view is the headlight and T logo.

Just my opinion - but I believe the reviewer is correct in that there is a bit of an identity issue. Even my 2017 X had this issue but the refresh X is a little worse. I can recall on three separate instances where people I knew assumed I bought the new Model Y after seeing my car.

My point being, unless you're a Tesla fan everyone else on the road looks at your car and assumes you are driving Tesla's more common economy/budget SUV as opposed to the more premium Model X. I just looked at Land Rover and Audi's lineups as a point of reference and you can see a pretty significant aesthetic difference between models where for Teslas all 4 fit the same template.

The MX is still my #1 pick - I just wish it looked more unique from the MY.

Last edited:
I believe he was referring to the MCU 1.0 issues. Model S and X cars produced up until late 2017 shipped with MCU 1.0.

As later versions of software were released the MCU couldn't keep up and would shut itself off. There was subsequently a recall on the EMMC chip that contributed to the random reboots. The recall was introduced as the reboots caused loss of critical functions such as AC, defrosters, turn signals, backup camera, etc.
Great but my '18 is 4 years old and never does that. He's talking about 9 or 10 year old cars so that doesn't sound too timely. Did the car crash or become immoveable when this happened? Asking for a friend. I just don't like when a discussion is so vague and the vast amount of normal folk out there see this and think the worst. For such a slick hi production value piece, they should do better research. That's all.

Last edited:
In the video the reviewer was referring to the exterior. Take a look at tesla.com and jump back and forth between the Y and X landing pages. With very very subtle differences to the untrained eye it almost looks like the same car. Even small details like the fog lights are identical. The only major difference from a distant view is the headlight and T logo.

Just my opinion - but I believe the reviewer is correct in that there is a bit of an identity issue. Even my 2017 X had this issue but the refresh X is a little worse. I can recall on three separate instances where people I knew assumed I bought the new Model Y after seeing my car.

My point being, unless you're a Tesla fan everyone else on the road looks at your car and assumes you are driving Tesla's more common economy/budget SUV as opposed to the more premium Model X. I just looked at Land Rover and Audi's lineups as a point of reference and you can see a pretty significant aesthetic difference between models where for Teslas all 4 fit the same template.

The MX is still my #1 pick - I just wish it looked more unique from the MY.
I don't think there is anything that looks like our starships with FWDs open. I dont think anyone can see our cars open like this and ever think its a Y. The rest of the time I'm happy for it to look more 'business-like' or nondescript. its a win-win.

Reactions: bhzmark